Cardinals to give Logan Thomas “a ton of work” this offseason

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so we shouldnt draft a qb cause maybe he has potential to be a back up qb?
palmer is 36 ,,a player with torn acl ,ready to retire few years a go
can we trust him?

Palmer is 35 and play a full season before he turns 36.

He was ready to retire a few years ago rather than play in Cinci.

And I "trust" that he wants to play because he has emphatically said so.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he is almost 6.6'' 260 lb with a speed around 4.55,he is like a buldoozer
all the physical tolls are with him,why not?
hoping he can turn in to a starting qb is like living in a fairytale

.... and he's NEVER played T-E.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer is 35 and play a full season before he turns 36.

He was ready to retire a few years ago rather than play in Cinci.

And I "trust" that he wants to play because he has emphatically said so.

trust me better draft someone that can be really ready in 2 years,for logan we need 12 years

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... and he's NEVER played T-E.

He did in High School (where he also played some QB and WR) and was the nation's top tight end prospect (played TE in All America game) and went to V Tech for that specific purpose...however he converted to QB there (reluctantly, in fact).

He was recruited as a TE, Hback and WR, with only Duke looking at him as a QB prospect.

The idea that he could be converted to NFL TE is not off the wall, and many pundits expected as much. I don't know if he can convert at this point, but I would not be surprised at all if we try.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He did in High School (where he also played some QB and WR) and was the nation's top tight end prospect (played TE in All America game) and went to V Tech for that specific purpose...however he converted to QB there (reluctantly, in fact).

He was recruited as a TE, Hback and WR, with only Duke looking at him as a QB prospect.

The idea that he could be converted to NFL TE is not off the wall, and many pundits expected as much. I don't know if he can convert at this point, but I would not be surprised at all if we try.
Converting him to TE can't hurt, Housler still hasn't made the transition.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm going to push this in the other direction, as well. Thomas has the opportunity to get better during the season, but it's up to him and his teammates to take advantage of that opportunity. During team sessions, he's not going to get reps.

He can take advantage of the 80 players in the locker room to go out after hours and run routes and go over the playbook and all the other things that will help him get better. He should be talking to guys like Jauron Brown, Kulabafi, etc., etc., to get out on the field and build more reps.

If Thomas has a mechanical problem that didn't get resolved in training camp, that might compound the issue, but Thomas's time with the coaches and getting individual attention was almost zero once training camp broke.

The expectation for Logan Thomas should be one similar to a first year player coming off injury. He should be expected to know the playbook. He should be fairly complete in terms of fundamentals. Basically, everything thing that Thomas can control by himself, he should have down. In terms of timing, pocket awareness, anticipation, diagnosing blitzes, and other intangibles, those are rep dependent. All in all, if Thomas isn't looking close to Drew Stanton by the end of training camp, he is probably not a long term answer.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The expectation for Logan Thomas should be one similar to a first year player coming off injury. He should be expected to know the playbook. He should be fairly complete in terms of fundamentals. Basically, everything thing that Thomas can control by himself, he should have down. In terms of timing, pocket awareness, anticipation, diagnosing blitzes, and other intangibles, those are rep dependent. All in all, if Thomas isn't looking close to Drew Stanton by the end of training camp, he is probably not a long term answer.

Look at the Cardinals

Ryan Lindely showed NOTHING and he is still on the team I FULLY expected the Cardinals to drop Ryan the second the season was over after his insulting performance.

if you think they'll drop Logan...you obviously can't see how blind they are to Logan and Lindley.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Look at the Cardinals

Ryan Lindely showed NOTHING and he is still on the team I FULLY expected the Cardinals to drop Ryan the second the season was over after his insulting performance.

if you think they'll drop Logan...you obviously can't see how blind they are to Logan and Lindley.

Lindley isn't on the team

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the Cardinals

lindley is not an arizona cardinal.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Maybe Logan Thomas should take alot of reps at TE...his accuracy and field awareness do not appear to be any different that Tebow's....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Logan Thomas should take alot of reps at TE...his accuracy and field awareness do not appear to be any different that Tebow's....

I don't think anyone not on the field can say this right now. We've seen incredibly limited amounts of him in his first year, and thrown into a game after taking no real reps.

That was what he DID look like...however he will either show improvement this preseason or he doesn't. If he looks bad in preseason, then you either cut bait or try the TE conversion. IMO.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
well the new QB signed sucks too

amazing guys are paid millions to throw a football and can't...
I play catch every day with my son and it amazes me these guys fail so often.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the new QB signed sucks too

amazing guys are paid millions to throw a football and can't...
I play catch every day with my son and it amazes me these guys fail so often.

Because that's similar.

I have a friend who was an NFL Europe QB and he throws an amazing ball, effortless, like he's tossing a napkin in the trash.

The gap between good college player and good NFL player is enormous. Hell, the gap between GREAT college player and good NFL player is huge as well. Tossing a ball with the kid compares to making it in the NFL like walking outside and looking at the moon compares to being the first man to walk on the damn thing.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because that's similar.

I have a friend who was an NFL Europe QB and he throws an amazing ball, effortless, like he's tossing a napkin in the trash.

The gap between good college player and good NFL player is enormous. Hell, the gap between GREAT college player and good NFL player is huge as well. Tossing a ball with the kid compares to walking outside and looking at the moon compares to being the first man to walk on the damn thing.

:lmao:

Great analogy.

machgman

Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone come across any info that Thomas has been proactive on his own to where he has sought out QB training from the various QB gurus out there?

If this sort of thing Brady does during every one of his off-season time where he spends time to review, assess, and work on his accuracy, mechanics, and reading-recognizing defenses in order to make the correct throw, then surely it would be of tremendous benefit to Thomas.

So far, the only one I have heard of seeking help has been Kaepernick getting pointers from Warner.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Has anyone come across any info that Thomas has been proactive on his own to where he has sought out QB training from the various QB gurus out there?

If this sort of thing Brady does during every one of his off-season time where he spends time to review, assess, and work on his accuracy, mechanics, and reading-recognizing defenses in order to make the correct throw, then surely it would be of tremendous benefit to Thomas.

So far, the only one I have heard of seeking help has been Kaepernick getting pointers from Warner.

I hope that he is. I've heard stories that a high-level QB coach actually turned Thomas away when Logan asked to help prepare him for the Combine. This QB coach said that he'd be better off training to be a tight end.

That said, if he is, I don't--and I doubt Keim or Arians--want my 3rd string quarterback sending press releases talking about how he's trying to get better.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Because that's similar.

The gap between good college player and good NFL player is enormous. Hell, the gap between GREAT college player and good NFL player is huge as well. Tossing a ball with the kid compares to making it in the NFL like walking outside and looking at the moon compares to being the first man to walk on the damn thing.

Or watching a hitter crush batting practice fastballs and extrapolating that he will be able to hit major league curve balls.

Whatever you do in the NFL at QB you have to do under ATTACK as in 300 pound plus guys all rounded up for their freakish size and speed line up every play to KILL YOU while you are asked to do your job.

You are asked to get past this, to stand there then hit a moving target that is being chased by some of the fastest most athletic humans on the planet who spend one week a year studying you sometimes two weeks a year in your own division, looking for anything you do that gives away what you are about to do, which is surprisingly a lot.

IMO being an NFL QB is the hardest thing there is in sports, there isn't really anything close to it most of it comes from how smart you are but only if you posses what amounts to about 1 percent-er type skills at throwing a football.

Kurt Warner wasn't great because he had a great arm, he was great because he put the ball where he wanted to put the ball and that is all done while people are trying to literally kill you every play.

He still could throw the ball better than any random sample of 100 guys though but yet in the NFL he wasn't anything special at all arm wise.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or watching a hitter crush batting practice fastballs and extrapolating that he will be able to hit major league curve balls.

Whatever you do in the NFL at QB you have to do under ATTACK as in 300 pound plus guys all rounded up for their freakish size and speed line up every play to KILL YOU while you are asked to do your job.

You are asked to get past this, to stand there then hit a moving target that is being chased by some of the fastest most athletic humans on the planet who spend one week a year studying you sometimes two weeks a year in your own division, looking for anything you do that gives away what you are about to do, which is surprisingly a lot.

IMO being an NFL QB is the hardest thing there is in sports, there isn't really anything close to it most of it comes from how smart you are but only if you posses what amounts to about 1 percent-er type skills at throwing a football.

Kurt Warner wasn't great because he had a great arm, he was great because he put the ball where he wanted to put the ball and that is all done while people are trying to literally kill you every play.

He still could throw the ball better than any random sample of 100 guys though but yet in the NFL he wasn't anything special at all arm wise.
Agree. Nfl quarterbacks have to mentally process information so quickly it's unreal. Even 5 seconds is a lot of time in the pocket, and that's with huge, fast mofos flying all around you, all while looking off receivers and moving visually off your 1st, 2nd, 3rd receiver.

It's an amazing position, which is why they get paid so well. The best in the game make it look so simple, but then you see an average QB back there and the blindingly-fast chaos becomes abundantly clear.

machgman

Veteran
Reaction score
Being a successful MLB hitter (.300) is just as difficult and perhaps even more difficult than being a successful NFL QB.

Consider the variety of pitches and the speed range of pitches a batter has to face. Then remember that success is being able tobarely hit safely 3 times in every 10 at bats over a 162 game season. There is no freakishly talented receiver to make fantastic catches as well, along with an entire team to try to help a QB successfully pass. When a batter is in the box to bat, he faces the opponent's entire 9 man team alone.

Both MLB .300 batters and NFL QBs have incredibly difficult obstacles to compete against to be successful, but the bar to be a successful batter is set very low because how it is incredibly difficult to excel. hat is why there will never be a batter who finishes the season with a battinaverage approaching .400, 4 hits for every 10 at bats. Even Lindley has done better than that.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being a successful MLB hitter (.300) is just as difficult and perhaps even more difficult than being a successful NFL QB.

Consider the variety of pitches and the speed range of pitches a batter has to face. Then remember that success is being able tobarely hit safely 3 times in every 10 at bats over a 162 game season. There is no freakishly talented receiver to make fantastic catches as well, along with an entire team to try to help a QB successfully pass. When a batter is in the box to bat, he faces the opponent's entire 9 man team alone.

Both MLB .300 batters and NFL QBs have incredibly difficult obstacles to compete against to be successful, but the bar to be a successful batter is set very low because how it is incredibly difficult to excel. That is why there will never be a batter who finishes the season with a batting average approaching .400, 4 hits for every 10 at bats. Even Lindley has done better than that.

Never is a long time, and some have approached that level of success.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never is a long time, and some have approached that level of success.

:yeahthat:

Ted Williams hit .406 in 1941.

Tony Gwynn hit .394 in 1994 until the strike ended the season. He was actually heating up (hit .475 in 10 games in August) and most people feel he would have ended up above .400 if not for the strike.

Rod Carew hit .388 in 1977 and George Brett hit .390 in 1980.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard