Cardinals sign DL Carlos Watkins on a one-year contract

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. But, hey, if he plays really well we can look forward to the FO letting him walk rather than retaining the talent lol

You try him out for a year. If he works out you get first shot and have money next year to sign him longer term. If he doesn't you let him walk with no harm to the cap.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You try him out for a year. If he works out you get first shot and have money next year to sign him longer term. If he doesn't you let him walk with no harm to the cap.
It's not a win-win though, not with this FO--or should I say with this ownership group. Odds are, if he works out he will walk because of our miserly approach. That's the downside to the prove it deal. Upside is, of course, that we don't have to keep him if he stinks or isn't good enough. There's really only 1 good outcome out of 3 possible.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's not a win-win though, not with this FO--or should I say with this ownership group. Odds are, if he works out he will walk because of our miserly approach. That's the downside to the prove it deal. Upside is, of course, that we don't have to keep him if he stinks or isn't good enough. There's really only 1 good outcome out of 3 possible.
help me out with the math... you listed two possibilities, then said only 1 good outcome out of 3??

but I see it as 2 out of three..

dude sucks...he is gone...bad
dude is good...and we sign him back...good
dude is good...but he leaves...however we still got a good year from him at a great price....good

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
help me out with the math... you listed two possibilities, then said only 1 good outcome out of 3??

dude is good...but he leaves...however we still got a good year from him at a great price....good
And correct me if I'm wrong, but if he has a big year and gets a big deal elsewhere, we could get a comp pick too.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumpster diving at its finest. Hopefully we'll find some tasty morsels. The rest of the league is going to be so jealous of all the diamonds in the rough we're uncovering!
Wrong. You can say that about the Fenton signing where the Cardinals are bringing in just a guy and seeing if he sticks.

Watkins is not that. The average fan probably won't recognize Watkin's name. However, he played a big part in the highly ranked Dallas defense, especially during the second half of last season. The Cowboys didn't dump this guy in the trash. In fact they were really hoping to bring him back again for 2023.

This is not a camp body for the Cardinals. He will see significant time on the field next season. So I definitely wouldn't call this move dumpster diving.

Stout

Reaction score

Next year is pointless. The final one isn't a good, it's a who gives AF? Only one of the three helps our re-build.

I'm not upset with the signing. We signed a JAG who will not be with us long-term. Whoopty do. Just don't expect me or others to be happy or have any level of excitement. It's not a good signing--it's JAS--just a signing.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Wrong. You can say that about the Fenton signing where the Cardinals are bringing in just a guy and seeing if he sticks.
Uh, our entire offseason has been bringing in guys on short term contracts and seeing if they stick. Did I miss something here?
Watkins is not that. The average fan probably won't recognize Watkin's name. However, he played a big part in the highly ranked Dallas defense, especially during the second half of last season. The Cowboys didn't dump this guy in the trash. In fact they were really hoping to bring him back again for 2023.
Yeah, but they didn't. And I'm sure it's not because of the fat contract we were offering him. We'll see how the final #'s play out, but second wave FA guys aren't typically breaking the bank.
This is not a camp body for the Cardinals. He will see significant time on the field next season.
That's more an indictment of our current talent than a flex for Watkins.
So I definitely wouldn't call this move dumpster diving.
If it makes you feel better saying that, it's fine. Paying a guy ranked out of the top 20 DT's (https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2023DT.php) in FA near minimum money on a one year prove it deal after the first wave of FA seems like the definition of dumpster diving, but that's ok too! Hopefully one or two will pan out and be part of the next iteration of the team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Dude sucks...he is gone...no-risk/no reward

Dude is good...we give a big contract to a 30 year old DL...high-risk/low reward

Dude is good...he leaves...we only get a comp pick if we don't sign good players, nothing if we do, and have another off-season needing to find a DT. no-risk/no reward

This is why these deals are nothing burgers, and Keim level moves.

Stout

Reaction score

This is not a camp body for the Cardinals. He will see significant time on the field next season. So I definitely wouldn't call this move dumpster diving.
Short-term deal. So, if it isn't dumpster diving it also isn't doing much for the rebuild.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose