Cardinals Rising to the Top of the Class

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
As a high school English teacher of twenty-nine years, if there's one thing I've learned and appreciated more than anything else about the great potential of what can happen in a classroom, it's the scenario where the teacher sets a positive tone and establishes the proper structure to enable the students to eventually assume the ownership of the classroom itself.

Such has happened with the Arizona Cardinals.

Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt, from the very minute he arrived in Glendale, has set the positive tone and established the proper structure that has enabled the once-beleaguered and stigmatized Cardinal players to assume the ownership of the team's newly-discovered success.

Whisenhunt's pedagogy was clear from the beginning...the very first task was to build a first rate training facility, presided over by John Lott, the Cardinals' new Strength and Conditioning Coach. Lott's mentorship in this facility has been a real boon to the organization. Participation in the workouts has never been so high and so enthusiastic.

The evidence of Lott's success is readily evident on the field, as the Cardinals are now playing the most physical football they quite possibly ever have. These Cardinals are also manifesting excellent physical stamina. In addition, no longer are players dropping to injuries like flies. This year there are only a handful of players on the IR and none of the players currently on the IR are any of the team's starters. That says something in itself.

Part two of Whisenhunt's modus operandi was to set team and personal goals for all his players, especially for his BEST players. Look at what Whiz and his staff have done for Larry Fitzgerald, who was a Pro Bowl player when Whiz and company arrived. The coaches asked Fitz, "Yeah, you are real good, but how much better can you be?" They gave Fitz a truthful assessment of his strengths and weaknesses and set out to build on his strengths and shore up his weaknesses. That result in itself has been extraordinary, as we have watched Fitz set the NFL playoffs on fire...to the point where the Steeler coaches are calling Fitz, with the utmost sincerity, the "best WR in the world."

The next part of the structure that Whisenhunt put in place was the hiring of astute assistant coaches for which the Bidwills agreed to up the ante on in order to woo their services. Case in point: Offensive Coordinator Todd Haley, who in the face of being courted by the Dolphins last year as one of their top head coaching candidates, was offered a raise by the Cardinals and was given the autonomy to call the plays, an assignment that Ken Whisenhunt relinquished after trying to be both the head coach and call many of the offensive plays in his inaugural year.

What Haley has done in his first year as the play caller, particularly from a teaching standpoint, has been nothing short of remarkable. In Haley's classroom, not only do he and his players pour through volumes of game tape, they share their thoughts and ideas in an effort to come up with the best possible game plans. The communication that Haley has generated has not only given his players significant degrees of ownership of the team's offense on and off the field, it has given the coach and the players a common ground in which to ensure the execution of the game plans and to ensure that the smartest possible adjustments are made within the games.

This past week because of Anquan Boldin's heated argument with Haley on the sidelines during the team's most impressive and critical drive...all kinds of attention has been drawn to Haley's coaching style, especially in light of how Haley and the Cardinals players have conceded that these arguments happen a lot and should not be over-reacted to.

The thing is: Haley has given his players their voices and has made himself accessible. He and Warner argue all the time about what play to call when and where...and they are constantly sharing their observations of how they could best attack the opposing defense. Warner's input is very valuable and Haley recognizes that. What Warner sees and hears on the field is often different from what Haley sees and hears from the sideline. Therefore, their communication is critical.

But...with Haley, his communication with ALL his players is deemed as valuable...look at what he did last week...he asked Edgerrin James to pick out a handful of plays that he thought would work best against the Eagles and gave Edge the chance to call them himself. Smart, or what? Haley, in a prep meeting earlier in the week, turned to Brian St. Pierre, and asked him to tell him during the game when he thought they should run the throwback flea flicker from Arrington to Warner to Fitzgerald. Haley even conceded afterward that he wasn't feeling sure about the timimg of the call when St. Pierre gave him the nod. But...Haley had already given his trust to St. Pierre.

Involving the 3rd string QB in game planning is one thing, but look at how Haley has integrated all his personnel and their strengths into his offense. Look at the contributions Haley and the offense received last week from Tim Hightower, J.J. Arrington, Terrelle Smith, Steve Breaston, Jerheme Urban, Leonard Pope and Ben Patrick. Haley even used Antrel Rolle as a decoy. He's used DRC as a vertical threat in previous games.

The playcalling has been unpredictable and highly creative...how about using Q as a WR screen decoy right for the slip screen left to Hightower? How about the execution on that play?

The Cardinals have scored 95 points (30, 33, 32) in 3 playoff games versus three of the top defenses in the NFC. How's that for production? How's that for consistency? How's that for getting everyone on the same page?

Having called the plays for many years as a high school coach, I can attest to the fact that while you want input from your players and other coaches, it can easily get out of hand as everyone wants to be in your ear at once. Heck, in one key game I coached, during the last possession, my principal came over to me and requested a play.

The thing that is amazing about Haley is the way he encourages the input but makes it clear that he makes the call...and it's quite clear that during games, he and Warner do most of the communicating. Thus, the majority of the communication Haley has with the other players is done during the week and at halftime, when it should be done.

On the defensive side of the ball, Clancy Pendergast has been insisting on another kind of classroom emphasis: the completion of assignments. First of all, the game-film study of the opponents has been far more intense and thorough. No longer are key players on the opposing offense being ignored as some were in previous years (remember TE Antonio Gates being wide open all day a few years ago?). When Pendergast and his players have recently assessed their opponents they have concurred on the smartest possible strategies and matchups.

How about the decision to shadow RB Michael Turner with LB Karlos Dansby all afternoon? Turner rushed for 42 yards.

How about the decision to shadow WR Steve Smith with rookie CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie? Smith did not catch a ball until the end of the third quarter, and by then the Cardinals were more than three scores ahead.

How about the decision to send SS Adrian Wilson after QB Donovan McNabb in key situations? Wilson's two sacks were huge, especially seeing as the New York Giants, with their fierce pass rush, haven't been able to sack McNabb in something like their last 17 quarters.

The Cardinals' coaches have done what great teachers do...they point the students in the right direction and give them the opportunity to take ownership of the success.

This year, the Cardinals' final exam awaits them next Sunday versus the Pittsburgh Steelers in Tampa Bay.

On the face of the bluebooks: Super Bowl XLIII.

The cramming has started and the communication has been intense...the assignments drawn...and the plans designed...

Can the Cardinals...perceived as perhaps the biggest flunkie to ever take this final, ace this exam?

These Cardinals appear humble enough, motivated enough and well prepared enough...thanks to the mentors...and thanks to the players who have been eager to listen, participate and achieve.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always look forward to threads from you Mitch. Your writing style and knowledge of the game are as good as it gets. For me it's like watching Fitz continue to play at a higher level every week. Absolutey NAILED it with this piece.

I was wondering if you have put any thought into the "unsung" heroes on this team.
B. Robinson: He's not Casey Hampton etc. but IMHO has stepped into the NT position and given his all.
Sean Morey: Elected to the Pro Bowl and yet gets almost zero press or recognition.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I always look forward to threads from you Mitch. Your writing style and knowledge of the game are as good as it gets. For me it's like watching Fitz continue to play at a higher level every week. Absolutey NAILED it with this piece.

I was wondering if you have put any thought into the "unsung" heroes on this team.
B. Robinson: He's not Casey Hampton etc. but IMHO has stepped into the NT position and given his all.
Sean Morey: Elected to the Pro Bowl and yet gets almost zero press or recognition.

Thanks, Cardiac. I too always look forward to your thoughts.

Good call on Robinson and Morey. Both have been solid all year, and both have provided strong veteran leadership, which every good team needs. Robinson has anchored the defense with his steady play and Morey has anchored the special team with his...and his punt block in the Dallas game was one of the all-time Cardinal highlights.

To me the most unsung hero on this team is LT Mike Gandy. When he arrived in Arizona he was thought to be a better fit at guard and yet he has proven to be a much better player at LT than I think any of us expected, and really, has played much better there than Leonard Davis did (who really was a far better fit at guard---which many of us were complaining about for the years he was switched there).

You also have to give major props to DE Bertrand Berry...his leadership and inspired play after taking a rare pay cut and after finishing the past two seasons on the IR have been remarkable.

And then it would be fair to give a shout out to K Neil Rackers who this year has been very good...his 49 yard field goal in the Championship game right before the half was clutch.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
EXCELLENT post, Mitch ....As always...

I would add only (1) thing that's helped us to be successful this year. ENTHUSIASM. When there's passion & excitement the sky's the limit. Players taste success. The momentum builds. They are grown-men, professionals on the outside, but inside they're kids playing in their backyard. They want to make that winning catch or throw that pefect pass. ...Or even pressure the QB that forces the INT. Inside they're kids that when they succeed they jump around and hoot & holler and revel in the excitement of the moment. In short, they have grown into a team that's learned that WINNING is FUN!:D ...And it brings the respect of their peers. family, friends, and others connected to the game whether they be coaches or fans. This bodes well for the Future of this team. Ya' gotta' know that players around the league are watching and thinking, "Hey, I want to be part of that".

These are GREAT days to be a Cardinal fan!! :D

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Great job Mitch. You state, Part two of Whisenhunt's modus operandi was to set team and personal goals for all his players, especially for his BEST players. Look at what Whiz and his staff have done for Larry Fitzgerald.

Not only Fitz but look at what they made Kurt Warner do to get a chance to start.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks, Cardiac. I too always look forward to your thoughts.

Good call on Robinson and Morey. Both have been solid all year, and both have provided strong veteran leadership, which every good team needs. Robinson has anchored the defense with his steady play and Morey has anchored the special team with his...and his punt block in the Dallas game was one of the all-time Cardinal highlights.

To me the most unsung hero on this team is LT Mike Gandy. When he arrived in Arizona he was thought to be a better fit at guard and yet he has proven to be a much better player at LT than I think any of us expected, and really, has played much better there than Leonard Davis did (who really was a far better fit at guard---which many of us were complaining about for the years he was switched there).

Gotta agree. Huge kudos to RG for this FA acquistion.

You also have to give major props to DE Bertrand Berry...his leadership and inspired play after taking a rare pay cut and after finishing the past two seasons on the IR have been remarkable.

Berry is our best pass rusher and has become much better at playing the run. I'm a little nervous about how much playing time he is getting due to past injuries and his age. Just imagine what he could do on passing downs if he wasn't getting so much playing time.

And then it would be fair to give a shout out to K Neil Rackers who this year has been very good...his 49 yard field goal in the Championship game right before the half was clutch.

Whiz placed his faith in Rackers and he as not let him down.
Maybe RG needs to get a lot more credit than what many have given him over the years. Robinson, Morey, Gandy are examples of the type of FA's that "build the belly of a team". I guess it's tough to pick on anyone in the organization since the Cards are in the SB.
:D

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Whiz placed his faith in Rackers and he as not let him down.
Maybe RG needs to get a lot more credit than what many have given him over the years. Robinson, Morey, Gandy are examples of the type of FA's that "build the belly of a team". I guess it's tough to pick on anyone in the organization since the Cards are in the SB. :D

Excellent response, Cardiac! Whiz did put his faith in Rackers...and especially put it in Warner.

RG deserves far more praise than he's been getting...how about the free agent additions of CB-Rod Hood, FB-Terrelle Smith, WR-Jerheme Urban, LB-Clark Haggans, CB-Ralph Brown, TE-Steve Spach, S-Matt Ware, LB-Monte Beisel, QB-Brian St. Pierre, C-Pat Ross and now LB-Victor Hobson...etc. More layers to the "underbelly" that you astutely allude to.

And how about his UCFA additions? C-Sendlein, FB-Castille, T-Vallejo, LB-Highsmith, S-Francisco, CB-Adams, LB-Togafau, WR-Long, DT-Dykes, S-Keyes,...

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Great job Mitch. You state, Part two of Whisenhunt's modus operandi was to set team and personal goals for all his players, especially for his BEST players. Look at what Whiz and his staff have done for Larry Fitzgerald.

Not only Fitz but look at what they made Kurt Warner do to get a chance to start.

Great post Mitch and I think this is the biggest key that Perfectonist mentions.

The coaches are demandable BUT accountable. And the way they have coached up EVERY player (has anyone player regressed under Wiz? - thats amazing) but even with guys locked into their ways like Warner and Fitz says alot about the players but especially the coaching staff.

And the keeping players engaged, drilling fundamentals and the game plans are just icing on the cake.

Its why I think we have the best young coach in the buisiness. And he has the chance to prove me right against another contender in Tomlin next Sunday.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Good post, Mitch...

However, I wouldn't call Carolina and Atlanta "top defenses"...

Carolina is 18th
Atlanta is 24th

Cardinals are 19th

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I look forward to your posts Mitch. RG has done a great job of bringing in players of charachter. While there were still a couple of charachters in the holdovers that remained among the talent that was retained, this new staff of Whiz's has slowly and surely worked at changing them into players of charachter also. The transformation that has taken place with these players is remarkable, and the results that we are seeing are equally remarkable. The individuals have melded into a TEAM that really has bought into, 'we do this together'. This has been a truly beautiful thing for me to watch. So long as they continue to have each other's back, the possibilities are limitless for this team. It is amazing to see the speed of the game slow down for them as their knowledge and confidence levels approach their talent level. It is great to see the coaching staff include everyone into the mix of making contributions.

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, great article. Could you please give some insight to our Special Team KO coverage. Every time WE kickoff, I hold my breath. I believe we have a problem here but I'm not smart enough to understand why. Your input ?

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
INTERCEPTED.... (Hee~Hee)

Hey, PrescottLouie. I'm sure Mitch will have some KOOL stuff to share but thought I'd add a comment or two. Seems every stand-out ST's group has a few guys that seem to be in on every play. To me, our ST's took a MAJOR hit when Ali Highsmith went down. Since this has become an achilles' heel for us I see Rackers kicking MORE towards the side-line to "box" them in. ...Or kicking short (ie; pooch). Ideally, you want them to start at the (20) or less but I think the strategy now is to just prevent the long return. ...And Ben Graham (sp?) has done a TREMENDOUS job with side-line kicks. Again, negating any return and giving us the field-position advantage. This is an area that will have to be addressed in the off-season, though. Just my thoughts. Mark :)

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
Mark, yes I've noticed the side line kick as well, particularly the OB in the Philly game. At this point it's a shame we have to do that BUT at least it indicates that the coaches also see the weakness/problem.

Part of my problem is that sometimes I set the bar too high for our guys, perhaps unfairly. I'm just looking for some "expert" input.

I gotta tell ya though, I'm soooooooo pumped to be in THE Super Bowl, I can't wait till Sunday ! Go Cards ! ! !

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As a high school English teacher of twenty-nine years, if there's one thing I've learned and appreciated more than anything else about the great potential of what can happen in a classroom, it's the scenario where the teacher sets a positive tone and establishes the proper structure to enable the students to eventually assume the ownership of the classroom itself.

Such has happened with the Arizona Cardinals.

Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt, from the very minute he arrived in Glendale, has set the positive tone and established the proper structure that has enabled the once-beleaguered and stigmatized Cardinal players to assume the ownership of the team's newly-discovered success.

Whisenhunt's pedagogy was clear from the beginning...the very first task was to build a first rate training facility, presided over by John Lott, the Cardinals' new Strength and Conditioning Coach. Lott's mentorship in this facility has been a real boon to the organization. Participation in the workouts has never been so high and so enthusiastic.

The evidence of Lott's success is readily evident on the field, as the Cardinals are now playing the most physical football they quite possibly ever have. These Cardinals are also manifesting excellent physical stamina. In addition, no longer are players dropping to injuries like flies. This year there are only a handful of players on the IR and none of the players currently on the IR are any of the team's starters. That says something in itself.

Part two of Whisenhunt's modus operandi was to set team and personal goals for all his players, especially for his BEST players. Look at what Whiz and his staff have done for Larry Fitzgerald, who was a Pro Bowl player when Whiz and company arrived. The coaches asked Fitz, "Yeah, you are real good, but how much better can you be?" They gave Fitz a truthful assessment of his strengths and weaknesses and set out to build on his strengths and shore up his weaknesses. That result in itself has been extraordinary, as we have watched Fitz set the NFL playoffs on fire...to the point where the Steeler coaches are calling Fitz, with the utmost sincerity, the "best WR in the world."

The next part of the structure that Whisenhunt put in place was the hiring of astute assistant coaches for which the Bidwills agreed to up the ante on in order to woo their services. Case in point: Offensive Coordinator Todd Haley, who in the face of being courted by the Dolphins last year as one of their top head coaching candidates, was offered a raise by the Cardinals and was given the autonomy to call the plays, an assignment that Ken Whisenhunt relinquished after trying to be both the head coach and call many of the offensive plays in his inaugural year.

What Haley has done in his first year as the play caller, particularly from a teaching standpoint, has been nothing short of remarkable. In Haley's classroom, not only do he and his players pour through volumes of game tape, they share their thoughts and ideas in an effort to come up with the best possible game plans. The communication that Haley has generated has not only given his players significant degrees of ownership of the team's offense on and off the field, it has given the coach and the players a common ground in which to ensure the execution of the game plans and to ensure that the smartest possible adjustments are made within the games.

This past week because of Anquan Boldin's heated argument with Haley on the sidelines during the team's most impressive and critical drive...all kinds of attention has been drawn to Haley's coaching style, especially in light of how Haley and the Cardinals players have conceded that these arguments happen a lot and should not be over-reacted to.

The thing is: Haley has given his players their voices and has made himself accessible. He and Warner argue all the time about what play to call when and where...and they are constantly sharing their observations of how they could best attack the opposing defense. Warner's input is very valuable and Haley recognizes that. What Warner sees and hears on the field is often different from what Haley sees and hears from the sideline. Therefore, their communication is critical.

But...with Haley, his communication with ALL his players is deemed as valuable...look at what he did last week...he asked Edgerrin James to pick out a handful of plays that he thought would work best against the Eagles and gave Edge the chance to call them himself. Smart, or what? Haley, in a prep meeting earlier in the week, turned to Brian St. Pierre, and asked him to tell him during the game when he thought they should run the throwback flea flicker from Arrington to Warner to Fitzgerald. Haley even conceded afterward that he wasn't feeling sure about the timimg of the call when St. Pierre gave him the nod. But...Haley had already given his trust to St. Pierre.

Involving the 3rd string QB in game planning is one thing, but look at how Haley has integrated all his personnel and their strengths into his offense. Look at the contributions Haley and the offense received last week from Tim Hightower, J.J. Arrington, Terrelle Smith, Steve Breaston, Jerheme Urban, Leonard Pope and Ben Patrick. Haley even used Antrel Rolle as a decoy. He's used DRC as a vertical threat in previous games.

The playcalling has been unpredictable and highly creative...how about using Q as a WR screen decoy right for the slip screen left to Hightower? How about the execution on that play?

The Cardinals have scored 95 points (30, 33, 32) in 3 playoff games versus three of the top defenses in the NFC. How's that for production? How's that for consistency? How's that for getting everyone on the same page?

Having called the plays for many years as a high school coach, I can attest to the fact that while you want input from your players and other coaches, it can easily get out of hand as everyone wants to be in your ear at once. Heck, in one key game I coached, during the last possession, my principal came over to me and requested a play.

The thing that is amazing about Haley is the way he encourages the input but makes it clear that he makes the call...and it's quite clear that during games, he and Warner do most of the communicating. Thus, the majority of the communication Haley has with the other players is done during the week and at halftime, when it should be done.

On the defensive side of the ball, Clancy Pendergast has been insisting on another kind of classroom emphasis: the completion of assignments. First of all, the game-film study of the opponents has been far more intense and thorough. No longer are key players on the opposing offense being ignored as some were in previous years (remember TE Antonio Gates being wide open all day a few years ago?). When Pendergast and his players have recently assessed their opponents they have concurred on the smartest possible strategies and matchups.

How about the decision to shadow RB Michael Turner with LB Karlos Dansby all afternoon? Turner rushed for 42 yards.

How about the decision to shadow WR Steve Smith with rookie CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie? Smith did not catch a ball until the end of the third quarter, and by then the Cardinals were more than three scores ahead.

How about the decision to send SS Adrian Wilson after QB Donovan McNabb in key situations? Wilson's two sacks were huge, especially seeing as the New York Giants, with their fierce pass rush, haven't been able to sack McNabb in something like their last 17 quarters.

The Cardinals' coaches have done what great teachers do...they point the students in the right direction and give them the opportunity to take ownership of the success.

This year, the Cardinals' final exam awaits them next Sunday versus the Pittsburgh Steelers in Tampa Bay.

On the face of the bluebooks: Super Bowl XLIII.

The cramming has started and the communication has been intense...the assignments drawn...and the plans designed...

Can the Cardinals...perceived as perhaps the biggest flunkie to ever take this final, ace this exam?

These Cardinals appear humble enough, motivated enough and well prepared enough...thanks to the mentors...and thanks to the players who have been eager to listen, participate and achieve.

Well executed post!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, great article. Could you please give some insight to our Special Team KO coverage. Every time WE kickoff, I hold my breath. I believe we have a problem here but I'm not smart enough to understand why. Your input ?

Good question, PrescottLooie. In the NFC Championship game the Cardinals elected to have Neil Rackers pooch the kickoffs up the right side. The primary reason why they would pooch the ball would be to kick it into the hands of someone less of a breakaway threat...but the team was also pretty much conceding a tackle somewhere between the 30-35 yard line.

The decision to pooch these kickoffs still mystifies me. The first one, Rackers kicked out of bounds...which certainly gave Philly (now reeling a little from already being down 7-0) a boost with a start on the 40 yard line.

Then the Cardinals nearly got lucky on another pooch kickoff that should have gone out of bounds again, but the Philly player ticked it...the refs blew the whistle thinking that the ball went out of bounds...but the replay showed the ball had stayed in bounds and that Matt Ware had recovered the ball. Unfortunately, there would be no review as the whistle has already blown before Ware recovered the ball. Fortunately, the refs did concur that the ball had ticked the finger on the Eagle player...which was not quite obvious on the replay, and the Eagles had to start their series on the 23 yard line instead of the 40.

What makes these pooches so mystifying is that Rackers has the leg, as we've all seen, to boot the ball deep into the endzone...which would preserve momentum for the Cardinals and make the Eagles start at their own 20 yard line. The other thing is, the game was in a dome with a closed roof...so it wasn't like wind was a factor.

The best news is that ST Coach Kevin Spencer decided to scrap the pooch kickoff after the Cardinals had taken their 32-25 lead when he asked Rackers to kick the ball deep into the endzone, which Rackers did to perfection.

As for the kickoff team itself...the best tacklers are Aaron Francisco and Sean Morey. Calais Campbell has been pretty solid as well, especially for someone his size...as has the dominutive, but feisty Michael Adams. But, other than those players, the tacklers on the unit are subpar at best...which is why we have been seeing Neil Rackers make tackles on deep returns in recent weeks.

Hopefully the wind won't be a factor in Tampa Bay. This time around let's hope that Rackers will be asked to kick the ball deep and that he will use his adrenaline to his advantage to pin the Steelers deep.

So, you are certainly justified in holding your breath on these kickoffs...and this week too the Cardinals have to worry about punt coverage a good deal because of Santonio Holmes, who broke of a big return last week versus San Diego, and is very explosive in the open field. Expect the Cardinals to continue to try to angle their punts from Ben Graham out of bounds or at least into a corner of the field that would be easier to defend.

Last edited:

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, thanks for the response. I will be interested in what we do in the off season to correct the problem with this unit.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great post man :) very good read love this coaching staff. It's amazing how the defense has basically steped up it's play 100 percent from the last few season games to the playoffs just unreal. One more game cards don't let us down!!!!!!!