Cardinals' HC Search Thoughts Part VI

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
IMNSHO the 3-13 Giants made a huge error by not test driving Davis Webb one snap this season. Were they afraid of burning his redshirt ?

Hmmm. Looks like Webb will be the #3 again behind Eli and Rosen or Darnold.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Do you think someone like Tomlin does things the "Steeler Way"? I sure do...I think that's why he was hired over Whiz and Grimm. Tomlin could be trusted to do as directed, when called for...like firing/retiring Arians, firing Haley, etc.

If MB and SK were telling Munchak that he had to keep Bettcher or any other member of the current staff and could not even consider a different coach or coaches, then that's a problem. You, as a HC should be allowed the freedom to decide who makes up your staff because it affects your direction and makeup of the team and your coaching philosophy. Bringing in the staff you want is way different than the owner and GM down the road (a few years after you are hired) deciding some one on your staff needs to go. If you are a good HC and you are honest with yourself, then if a member of your staff isn't cutting it, you should be looking at making a change. Staff members should be under the same scrutiny as a player. If they aren't getting the job done then you need to make a change. Should the GM and owner have a say in who you select, maybe, but to force certain coaches on you is just plain wrong to me.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The more I think about it I would love to see Jack Del Rio as head coach with DeFillipo and Pagano as coordinators.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I wish this could end and we could stop arguing speculative nonsense
Exactly.

People have zero basis that the Cards are pushing Betthcher on anyone, yet, it's being stated like it's fact on here. The only facts are MB said it they won't be in a hurry and they want the prospective HC to visit the facility. Everything is else pure speculation on people's parts and, since it doesn't fit their narrative, are bashing the search.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wilks is coming in for a 2nd interview. He will have to have a superb OC candidate in tow. if so, Wilks is a superb defensive coach and by all accounts a strong leader. What concerns me about Wilks is that in NY with his main proponent by his side, GM Dave Gettleman, Wilks did not impress the Giants' FO enough to make their final 3. I wonder what happened. It could be that Wilks' plan for the offensive side of the ball was not to their liking.

He was facing an extremely steep uphill battle from the start. One of the Giants’ owners, John Mara, has said in public that they were looking for someone with prior head coach experience or at least extensive experience as a coordinator. Wilks has none of that, so I don’t think it can be ruled out that he got the initial interview solely on Gettleman’s recommendation. In fact, ESPN ran a story the other day saying that Wilks absolutely had the support of Gettleman, and implying that the only reason Wilks was supposedly out of the running was that the owners overruled Gettleman.

Also, it has been reported multiple places that the Giants could have a so-called sleeper candidate if they for some reason don’t get Pat Shurmur, and a very popular choice as to who that sleeper candidate might be is Steve Wilks.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Exactly.

People have zero basis that the Cards are pushing Betthcher on anyone, yet, it's being stated like it's fact on here. The only facts are MB said it they won't be in a hurry and they want the prospective HC to visit the facility. Everything is else pure speculation on people's parts and, since it doesn't fit their narrative, are bashing the search.

What fun is it if we can't run around like chicken little. We can't just sit here drumming our fingers staring into space until they make a decision. :p

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I'm slightly in favor of an offensive minded HC. Sure it has to be the right football person, motivator and leader first and foremost. But look at our defense: PP will shut down most top WRs no matter what. Chandler Jones will get to the QB no matter what. Budda and Badger are talented DBs that can play in any scheme. We have some nice pieces on defense. But the offense really needs a big overhaul. New players, new scheme, most importantly new QB. Would feel much more comfortable with a bright offensive mind in charge. Obviously he has to be HC material. But I couldn't stomach losing an OC like DeFilippo after one season with our QB and offense as a whole showing promise under his tutelage.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe Wolf brought up a good point in that we need a leader of men and a disciplinarian. Wolf believed the main downfall of the team was an eventual lack of discipline and BA not really holding players accountable. He bashed the hell out of them in press conferences but that’s as far as it went. Plus players feeling they were being bashed while coaches were above criticism.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly.

I don't recall anyone stating that as a FACT just a possibility. No one on the board KNOWS any of the details of ANY interview and I haven't read anyone on here saying so. Just sayin' :)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone stating that as a FACT just a possibility. No one on the board KNOWS any of the details of ANY interview and I haven't read anyone on here saying so. Just sayin' :)

All Burns and Gambo could talk about today was Bettcher. Burns wonders too whether the Cardinals are pushing Bettcher on candidates and Gambo believes that when the new HC is hired, Bettcher won't be part of the package. It was a very good discussion.

Reactions: TRW

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All Burns and Gambo could talk about today was Bettcher. Burns wonders too whether the Cardinals are pushing Bettcher on candidates and Gambo believes that when the new HC is hired, Bettcher won't be part of the package. It was a very good discussion.

I am sure Gambo's cards source is the store clerk at QT opposite to Cardinals training facility

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Meh - you have to talk about SOMETHING, and so they do.

I really feel MB was prepping us for this, saying they are going to take their time and that several candidates are in the playoffs, so they will take the risk and wait until next week (effectively), to get a handle on who they really like during the interview process.

If Shurmur or Patricia really blew their socks off the first time through, I'm sure they would have made their interest known; so I doubt the final outcome has been altered by waiting (unless it's Bettcher, but I betcha it isn't)

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If was betcher they would have hik
If there is no announcement between tomorrow and the end of next week you will have a better idea of who the FO is leaning towards.
Its pretty clear the choice is about these 3 coaches
In the following order of preference
De Filippo
Flores
Schwartz

Outsider
Wilks

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is an indication as to what order they list them.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. If he's WOW.. lock him in. We need to develop a QB and stop this we can sign vets forever mindset. Long term successful franchises grow their own. Hire the QB coach and bring in the best and brightest behind him as coaches.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dont think they are pushing Bettch on anyone... but it may be a topic they bring up in the interview.
There is precedent with the organization.

Clancy Pendergasts family donated land for the stadium...then clancy is our DC for a few years... He was hired under Denny Green then retained when Whiz took over.

IMO they are open to the idea but will not let it keep them from getting a good coach

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Just saw this - hilarious:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave