Cardinals defense

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really hoping the Giants are as injured as they were against the Patriots.

Really don't want to hear "Danny Dimes" talk all of next week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What`s going to happen if PP comes back a little slower,softer and fails to be the playmaker people are hoping for?

We won't know until he plays but he did look pretty good in preseason when he was playing so I'm hopeful he's going to be a huge step up from what we have now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not even sure PP can help this D.
This is silly, of course he will. It pushes everyone down on the depth chart. Today it would have made a huge difference.

Instead of Murphy and Brock and K Peterson, you have P Peterson and Murphy and Brock. That is a huge difference. I won't be shocked if Peterson is on Engram if he plays. Murphy can now go into the slot with Tate. We can play man coverage more against better offenses. When Kevin Peterson is not on the field as a CB, it is a very good thing.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is silly, of course he will. It pushes everyone down on the depth chart. Today it would have made a huge difference.

Instead of Murphy and Brock and K Peterson, you have P Peterson and Murphy and Brock. That is a huge difference. I won't be shocked if Peterson is on Engram if he plays. Murphy can now go into the slot with Tate. We can play man coverage more against better offenses. When Kevin Peterson is not on the field as a CB, it is a very good thing.

I don't know. Just seems the D couldn't stay close to any WRs today. They were always open and the defender was always behind them watching the WRs catch. PP can't be everywhere. The only thing I can hope for is that PP really gets the D fired up by making some great individual plays. We will see I guess.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In your opinion, what's the reason for the massive onslaught the past two games late in games during leads? Is that a DB thing when it hadn't been all game prior? Just honestly curious your thoughts..

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In your opinion, what's the reason for the massive onslaught the past two games late in games during leads? Is that a DB thing when it hadn't been all game prior? Just honestly curious your thoughts..
It is purely guys who are not as athletic and confident trying not to be the guy who gives up the huge touchdown. Julio Jones is intimidating and a freak of nature. Calvin Ridley is a very good route runner and can make you look silly in a second. Byron Murphy is the only guy who should be starting and he can't guard everyone. We have zero interior pass rush so guys know they will have to cover a little longer than they are comfortable. This is why Peterson coming back makes such a huge difference. Now Murphy covers Ridley instead of Julio. A S is on Sanu or Brock is covering Sanu. Now you can roll coverage if you want without leaving Murphy or Brock on an island.

I have coached CBs. You constantly have to talk those guys up because they are almost always smaller and slower than the guy they are covering. And even if you talk them up and have a solid scheme, all it takes is getting beat once, even if the ball isn't thrown to their guy, and a lot of them will give an extra yard or two of cushion. That opens up the underneath routes and can lead to QBs getting into a rhythm.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't know. Just seems the D couldn't stay close to any WRs today. They were always open and the defender was always behind them watching the WRs catch. PP can't be everywhere. The only thing I can hope for is that PP really gets the D fired up by making some great individual plays. We will see I guess.
Murphy gave space when he was covering Julio. He is a rookie and that is a rookie feeling some pressure. Murphy was contesting catches when he was covering Ridley and Sanu. K Peterson was giving cushion because he shouldn't probably be on the field as a CB. But, he was doing his best not to be the guy who gave up the TD over the top.

The other issue is that this unit practiced with PPeterson, Alford and Swearinger all offseason. Now you have Thompson and KPeterson trying to understand that communication on the fly. OCs are smart. They know how to exploit these things.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm not even sure PP can help this D.
Yup. These complete breakdowns during leads are concerning to say the least.
Wasn’t our pass D #32 last year? Hmmmm.

The fact of the matter is that if VJ continues to have many zones D calls on we’re gonna get roasted regardless imo. Exactly what happens when the interior of the Dline rarely gets any push.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing Cardinals need to do for rest of the season is stop the TEs. This means finding some one with speed at LB position. Easier said than done. The cardinals can do this by making Reddick a run downs line backer only and putting in some backups they like with speed on pass downs. The Reddick dude just cannot read and react that takes away his speed.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is purely guys who are not as athletic and confident trying not to be the guy who gives up the huge touchdown. Julio Jones is intimidating and a freak of nature. Calvin Ridley is a very good route runner and can make you look silly in a second. Byron Murphy is the only guy who should be starting and he can't guard everyone. We have zero interior pass rush so guys know they will have to cover a little longer than they are comfortable. This is why Peterson coming back makes such a huge difference. Now Murphy covers Ridley instead of Julio. A S is on Sanu or Brock is covering Sanu. Now you can roll coverage if you want without leaving Murphy or Brock on an island.

I have coached CBs. You constantly have to talk those guys up because they are almost always smaller and slower than the guy they are covering. And even if you talk them up and have a solid scheme, all it takes is getting beat once, even if the ball isn't thrown to their guy, and a lot of them will give an extra yard or two of cushion. That opens up the underneath routes and can lead to QBs getting into a rhythm.
This still doesn't address the question of what I was referring to about late game onslaught as opposed to earlier in the game.. wouldn't this be a common theme throughout the game as opposed to a 10-15 minute span late in the game? I don't know.. just reminiscent of the pendergast days to me is all. But thanks for your explanation.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This still doesn't address the question of what I was referring to about late game onslaught as opposed to earlier in the game.. wouldn't this be a common theme throughout the game as opposed to a 10-15 minute span late in the game? I don't know.. just reminiscent of the pendergast days to me is all. But thanks for your explanation.
Early in the game the pressure isn't the same. When you get a big lead coaches are constantly telling to watch for the big play. That leads to guys playing softer vs playing smarter. On defense once you start playing to prevent the big play, you can stop playing aggressively and a lack of aggression can lead you to get beat in different ways. It isn't a prevent defense but players get a prevent mindset. This is exacerbated when you do not have a great pass rush.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Early in the game the pressure isn't the same. When you get a big lead coaches are constantly telling to watch for the big play. That leads to guys playing softer vs playing smarter. On defense once you start playing to prevent the big play, you can stop playing aggressively and a lack of aggression can lead you to get beat in different ways. It isn't a prevent defense but players get a prevent mindset. This is exacerbated when you do not have a great pass rush.
I guess this is my whole point. The coaches have some culpability here, I believe. But I see your point as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... being at the game and hearing the starting line-up for the D called out by name, you really start to understand why this unit just SUCKS. outside of Jones, there isn't ONE playmaker. Murphy's a nice 2nd or 3rd CB right now... but after that... nothing. literally NOTHING.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess this is my whole point. The coaches have some culpability here, I believe. But I see your point as well.
Coaches don't tell guys to play soft, they tell you not to give up the big play. There is a difference in that. CBs are taught to read route combinations and situational tendencies.

Here is an example from today. K Peterson is across from Julio on 3rd and long. He plays soft coverage and gives up the first down afraid of getting beat deep. This, however, is not the smart play. You know they aren't going to run a double move on third down because they know you should not be jumping short routes and a double move at the sticks will take too long. Yes, they could run a vertical route, but that is a more difficult route which takes more time and they don't know if you have help over the top. The play is shorten your cushion but still backpedal agressively to the first down depth. This keeps the WR in front and enables yo uto drive on the ball and tackle the WR short of the marker. Peterson just bailed because he was worried about Julie going 60 yards on him over the top even though it wasn't the situation for it. On 2nd and 3, that would be a concern and you would adjust your positioning accordingly.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
man... being at the game and hearing the starting line-up for the D called out by name, you really start to understand why this unit just SUCKS. outside of Jones, there isn't ONE playmaker. Murphy's a nice 2nd or 3rd CB right now... but after that... nothing. literally NOTHING.
Chandler Jones
Corey Peters
Jordan Hicks
Patrick Peterson
Byron Murphy

These are 5 legit dudes on a good defense. Too early to tell on Zack Allen or the Thompsons. Brock is an ok 3rd CB. Baker is an enigma for me. Gunter is the Cassius Marsh/Brooks Reed of 3-4 DEs. Depth only. Reddick reminded me that he is our new DJ Swearinger.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Chandler Jones
Corey Peters
Jordan Hicks
Patrick Peterson
Byron Murphy

These are 5 legit dudes on a good defense. Too early to tell on Zack Allen or the Thompsons. Brock is an ok 3rd CB. Baker is an enigma for me. Gunter is the Cassius Marsh/Brooks Reed of 3-4 DEs. Depth only. Reddick reminded me that he is our new DJ Swearinger.
Alford is a legit starting cb no1 on many teams.

We will have some money to address those issues this off season. We need some disruptive players on the dl. Wish we would have paid Calais. That 5m a year extra would have been worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Jones
Corey Peters
Jordan Hicks
Patrick Peterson
Byron Murphy

I have no idea why you'd list PP when he wasn't even playing today. did you even read my post about the starters named? or where I specifically mentioned our lack of playmakers. Peters is a solid guy. Not an impact player. Hicks is a guy. Murphy has potential. And behind them, is practically nothing.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Having our top 2 corners back and having Murph as the 3 is huge changes everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA