Cardinals at Ravens gameday thread 9-15-19

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is funny is that wife, kids and friends would all state different. I think Murray is right where he should be except for his running. I think our line has been really good when considering the players it is comprised of and having Kyler as QB. I think our defense has overachieved. I think our coaching has been really good =, and I love the analytical approach adopted by our HC.

I just am not over the moon like a lot of people here. I don't think he has looked "special" so far in his career. Because of this, I am a darksider and a hater.

no dude.. it's the "little bitch" and squeak nicknames that's making you look like a hater. if you hadn't been barraged all off-season by the hyperbole-crew, do you really think you'd be giving those nicknames.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no dude.. it's the "little bitch" and squeak nicknames that's making you look like a hater. if you hadn't been barraged all off-season by the hyperbole-crew, do you really think you'd be giving those nicknames.
Yeah. He ain't getting it yet. Lol. Don't get wrong.. I like the squeek one. But that's harmless..when ya start throwing out the little bitch, whether it's from a movie or not, it opens ya up for the flaming

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
You can disagree all you want. Murray chooses to throw the ball, whereas Jackson’s initial instincts are to run. When you’re at the game, you can see when receivers are creating separation. Behind the Ravens OL, Murray would have had the time to hit receivers that were breaking open.

I think this is pretty close to best explanation for the lack of rushing yards. He's trying to move the offense with his arm.

And any time it K2 has called a designed run, it's been really well defended. I think the QB-run play calling has perhaps been a little disappointing.

Finally, I need to go back and watch the games again to see if he's left a lot of rushing yards on the table when he scrambles. I don't think he has, but it's worth studying. I honestly think DET and BAL have kept containment on him really well, but we'll see.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i am curious who is controlling the calls inside the 10

but what was clear to me in both games is that even when the Cards put run personnel on the field -- the D doesn't believe they will hand it off to the RB.

Not a single play action fake down inside the 10 has worked, and moreso, all have looked like the D was in the huddle when the play was called.

Yet, on the two (two!!) straight hand offs on goal to go situations this year, the Cards have a 8 yard gain to the 1, and a walk in TD.

Heck -- on DJs TD today -- it was a hand off and a Raven defender totally ignored DJ and went straight for Kyler, letting DJ walk in.

I think they need to put some power runs in the gameplan, with two TEs and commit to handing the ball off to DJ.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Two games in a row where we choose not to run the ball from inside the 3 yard line. We run both those instances who knows what the outcome of both games would be.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the front to run against was there, don't you think Murray would audible to a run? He does know this offense better than everyone other than Kingsbury.
Here's where Kliff has failed Kyler up to this point. We are in 4 wide on the 9 yard line and sometimes the back motions out. There is no threat to run it. Kliff is going to have to realize we need to run two TE , 2 WR 1 back once in a while. He needs to realize a TE IS a receiver that actually gives us a blocker for a run or pass protection and maybe a reception.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is pretty close to best explanation for the lack of rushing yards. He's trying to move the offense with his arm.

And any time it K2 has called a designed run, it's been really well defended. I think the QB-run play calling has perhaps been a little disappointing.

Finally, I need to go back and watch the games again to see if he's left a lot of rushing yards on the table when he scrambles. I don't think he has, but it's worth studying. I honestly think DET and BAL have kept containment on him really well, but we'll see.
You will find he really didn't have a chance to run because he doesn't have even a hint of a run game that requires a defense to respect.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am curious who is controlling the calls inside the 10

but what was clear to me in both games is that even when the Cards put run personnel on the field -- the D doesn't believe they will hand it off to the RB.

Not a single play action fake down inside the 10 has worked, and moreso, all have looked like the D was in the huddle when the play was called.

Yet, on the two (two!!) straight hand offs on goal to go situations this year, the Cards have a 8 yard gain to the 1, and a walk in TD.

Heck -- on DJs TD today -- it was a hand off and a Raven defender totally ignored DJ and went straight for Kyler, letting DJ walk in.

I think they need to put some power runs in the gameplan, with two TEs and commit to handing the ball off to DJ.
If I could "like " this post twice I would!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When it comes to NFL football, the QB gets the majority of the credit and the blame. That is not new. A play caller doesn't go from good to bad based upon the result of the play. He is graded based upon the matchups he creates and positions he puts his players in. So far, it has looked like to me that Kingsbury has schemes that gets players open, and put players in good one on one matchups. From that point on, it is up to the players to execute.

Yes. KK at this point seems to be a solid playcaller between the twenties.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harbaugh kind of looked like he was about to troll Kliff, but then caught himself at the :58 mark.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Ravens decided to get physical at the end of the game. Going forward we have to do the same as well.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harbaugh kind of looked like he was about to troll Kliff, but then caught himself at the :58 mark.

The Ravens decided to get physical at the end of the game. Going forward we have to do the same as well.
Good catch. The NFL is most definitely trying to put this system in its place ...the old school guys definitely take notice. You could tell with harbaugh right there.. their offense is going to be bulletin board material all year for teams until the wins come. Which is cool... We just need to match that intensity.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i also want to know what happened on 1st down on each of the last two drives

2nd to last drive: offense never looks set, the ball is snapped and half the offense doesnt react -- sack and 2nd and 17

last drive: again, looks like the offense isnt on the page, the ball is snapped and Murray is forced to throw the ball at Kirks feet. Doesnt help that on 2nd down, DJ runs for 8 yards to set up 3rd-2, but its called back for holding.

how do you come out of a change of possession for drives to possibly take the lead and not be ready to go on first down?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

2nd to last drive: offense never looks set, the ball is snapped and half the offense doesnt react -- sack and 2nd and 17

last drive: again, looks like the offense isnt on the page, the ball is snapped and Murray is forced to throw the ball at Kirks feet. Doesnt help that on 2nd down, DJ runs for 8 yards to set up 3rd-2, but its called back for holding.

how do you come out of a change of possession for drives to possibly take the lead and not be ready to go on first down?

The offense completely fell apart on the last two possessions football karma. Everybody's eyes were as big as saucers. :)

I think they'll learn from it though.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I think Harbaugh in that speech just gave a whole lot of credit to the Cards and if any 'old school' guys see this... well, John is old school and I doubt he is thinking Kingsbury or the Cards should be slighted now

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Imo that was on coaching.

You've got a rookie QB on the road in a hostile environment backed up and you call a play action pass against a heavy pressure look.

The thing is that by design the Cards are built to play fast. I just don't understand not running the ball to open those last two drives. Try to get it to 2 and 5 and it opens up so much. Unlike Riley's system, KK's is sort of built to be too cute at times. There was no need for play action because the last TD drive didn't involve running much. There was no need for a screen pass on the last drive. Just get yards.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What is funny is that wife, kids and friends would all state different. I think Murray is right where he should be except for his running. I think our line has been really good when considering the players it is comprised of and having Kyler as QB. I think our defense has overachieved. I think our coaching has been really good =, and I love the analytical approach adopted by our HC.

I just am not over the moon like a lot of people here. I don't think he has looked "special" so far in his career. Because of this, I am a darksider and a hater.

Right where he should be? Second rookie EVER to pass for 300 yards in his first two starts.

Agreed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Right where he should be? Second rookie EVER to pass for 300 yards in his first two starts.

Agreed.
I'm not going to push back on that stat again as nobody seems to care about the context of it. I expected Murray to have above average accuracy and to be inconsistent because of his size and lack of experience. That is where he is. I thought he would be a more dynamic player, but he isn't which is probably the most disappointing aspect to him. He has been more Chad Pennington (pre-injury) than Michael Vick to this point.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not going to push back on that stat again as nobody seems to care about the context of it. I expected Murray to have above average accuracy and to be inconsistent because of his size and lack of experience. That is where he is. I thought he would be a more dynamic player, but he isn't which is probably the most disappointing aspect to him. He has been more Chad Pennington (pre-injury) than Michael Vick to this point.

If he were more like Michael Vick we would have been blown out of both games. Vick had 2 300+ yard games in his first 5 season. Kyler has that in his first two games. The guy that played for us last year still hasn't.