Cardinals at Rams (London) Preview

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I can understand your thought, WBB, in light of his recent struggles, but I think Honey Badger will do a superb job on Kupp. It's time for him to step up and he is pretty fired up for this London trip.

If we don't pressure and hit Goff, it won't matter... And Chandler Jones can't be "that" guy all by himself...

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Lol @ the entire rams o- line being ranked better... guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

They are better.

Whitworth at LT is legit as it gets. He will be a ProBowler this year.
Sullivan at Center is so much better than last years starter (Barnes) and is very intelligent in reading defenses.
Saffold was good before they came, but had to play on an island wherever he was placed. Now two strong vets are on his left and right.
Brown and Havenstein are much better than last year. The Rams Oline is highly rated for a reason.

You guys will not be able to collapse the pocket that often, especially without Calais Campbell. Expect to see a WHOLE LOTTA Gurley

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Kupp has 19 catches in 6 games. Hardly a “go to” guy. They have bigger challenges than containing Kupp.

That is deceiving and a good example why stats can be crap.
Look at the spread of the WR's that Goff is throwing to..Some days he will concentrate on Kupp and Everret..Others he will focus on Woods and Higbee. Watkins and Austin are being used as decoys most often because they will kill you if they aren't respected...AND Gurley has been a monster in catching the ball from the backfield and is running really good routes.

This isn't Jeff Fishers Rams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are better.

Sullivan at Center is so much better than last years starter (Barnes) and is very intelligent in reading defenses.
Saffold was good before they came, but had to play on an island wherever he was placed. Now two strong vets are on his left and right.
Brown and Havenstein are much better than last year. The Rams Oline is highly rated for a reason.

You guys will not be able to collapse the pocket that often, especially without Calais Campbell. Expect to see a WHOLE LOTTA Gurley

Sure. We're all just shaking in our boots, pal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They are better.

We’ve been fairly stout against the run. That doesn’t worry me as much. Inability to consistently pressure Goff and our #2 cb more worrisome.

Honestly where you guys win or lose this game will be:

1. How battered Palmer ends up

2. How much your vastly better special teams can give big results.

Your O is better than in years past, but it isn’t the difference maker. Maybe by seasons end or next year under McVay, but not yet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That is deceiving and a good example why stats can be crap.
Look at the spread of the WR's that Goff is throwing to..Some days he will concentrate on Kupp and Everret..Others he will focus on Woods and Higbee. Watkins and Austin are being used as decoys most often because they will kill you if they aren't respected...AND Gurley has been a monster in catching the ball from the backfield and is running really good routes.

This isn't Jeff Fishers Rams.
Dude you’re losing all credibility. Those stats don’t lie. Goff does NOT have a go-to guy because none has emerged. He’s spreading it around pretty well, but to say the stats lie is like saying a 75 yard run should be ignored. Oh wait, you already did that too. You’re excuse guy.

And look, I understand that compared to the dreck you’ve had for years your offense is VASTLY improved. But you’re way overrating what you have. At present you have:

A greatly improved offensive coach and scheme - that’s the primary difference this year from past

A second year QB who has been efficient. Still relatively unproven.

A stud rb

A much improved oline

A bunch of “guys” as receivers at present.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's the freaking Rams. They'll be 7-9 again. No question.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They are better.

I think he was laughing at it because of how atrocious our o-line has been all season. Not a knock on your o-line. Normally we’ll have one lineman better than the opposition’s at their position.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dude you’re losing all credibility. Those stats don’t lie. Goff does NOT have a go-to guy because none has emerged. He’s spreading it around pretty well, but to say the stats lie is like saying a 75 yard run should be ignored. Oh wait, you already did that too. You’re excuse guy.

And look, I understand that compared to the dreck you’ve had for years your offense is VASTLY improved. But you’re way overrating what you have. At present you have:

A greatly improved offensive coach and scheme - that’s the primary difference this year from past

A stud rb

A much improved oline

Most of your post is accurate but as far as the receiving core goes, the philosophy is clearly for Goff to spread it around to multiple targets depending on the matchups and what the defense gives him from week to week.

Through week 6 the Rams are the only team that have six different players with over 100 yds receiving. Their targets are spread fairly evenly too.

So if your stance is they just have a "bunch of guys at WR" then ok fine. They have a bunch of quality guys at WR who can run NFL routes, catch and run. A far cry from Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Lance Kendricks and Tavon Austin.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Most of your post is accurate but as far as the receiving core goes, the philosophy is clearly for Goff to spread it around to multiple targets depending on the matchups and what the defense gives him from week to week.

Through week 6 the Rams are the only team that have six different players with over 100 yds receiving. Their targets are spread fairly evenly too.

So if your stance is they just have a "bunch of guys at WR" then ok fine. They have a bunch of quality guys at WR who can run NFL routes, catch and run. A far cry from Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Lance Kendricks and Tavon Austin.

I would say they definitely have a better crew than the Britt/Quick/et al dreck they had before. But that said, Austin is at best an occasional gimmick wr, Kupp is a rookie, Woods was just a guy at Buffalo, and Watkins was an oft-injured potential stud who can’t seem to get the same page as Goff. So yes while better, and Goff has done a nice job of spreading the offense, this far they’re just a bunch of “guys” until one proves to be a major threat that must be gameplanned for.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW
As excited as i am that the Rams have obviously improved since firing Jeff Fisher...there's this:
4-1-1
1-5
2-4
4-2
2-1
13-13-1

That was Fishers overall record vs the NFCW. More often than not against superior SEA, AZ and SF teams. For whatever reason Fisher knew how to gameplan vs the division.

McVay still has something to prove to this fan in that regard.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score

A stud rb

A much improved oline

What I was trying to explain is that we don't just have one go-to guy, because McVay's Offense has featured different players on different games..There isn't just one guy or even two guys that Goff throws to, so comparing stats from other teams where the QB keys on a single guy isn't really comparable?

Also, if stats are your gold standard, if a guy throws a ton after his team is down 30 points when the defense is playing prevent defense, is that the same as Aaron Rodgers throwing for the same amount in a close game? Stats are stats and don't lie, right?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would say they definitely have a better crew than the Britt/Quick/et al dreck they had before. But that said, Austin is at best an occasional gimmick wr, Kupp is a rookie, Woods was just a guy at Buffalo, and Watkins was an oft-injured potential stud who can’t seem to get the same page as Goff. So yes while better, and Goff has done a nice job of spreading the offense, this far they’re just a bunch of “guys” until one proves to be a major threat that must be gameplanned for.
Yeah Austin isn't even on the radar to be honest. He isn't one of those six guys i mentioned either who are involved in the passing game. He's been relegated to a change of pace RB, jet sweep decoy guy. He's also lost his job as PR because he can't field a punt without holding your breath it doesn't get muffed.

He still draws and commands attention in the backfield with Gurley though. I would suspect the Rams are shopping him and he'll be gone next season.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah Austin isn't even on the radar to be honest. He isn't one of those six guys i mentioned either who are involved in the passing game. He's been relegated to a change of pace RB, jet sweep decoy guy. He's also lost his job as PR because he can't field a punt without holding your breath it doesn't get muffed.

He still draws and commands attention in the backfield with Gurley though. I would suspect the Rams are shopping him and he'll be gone next season.
Yep...Austin is just a get in space guy...He's a one trick pony, but that trick is pretty d@mn good and that's why teams cover the jet sweep options pretty closely. Don't know how we justify keeping him next season. Maybe we can trick the Browns out of a first rounder for him?:rockon:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What I was trying to explain is that we don't just have one go-to guy, because McVay's Offense has featured different players on different games..There isn't just one guy or even two guys that Goff throws to, so comparing stats from other teams where the QB keys on a single guy isn't really comparable?

Also, if stats are your gold standard, if a guy throws a ton after his team is down 30 points when the defense is playing prevent defense, is that the same as Aaron Rodgers throwing for the same amount in a close game? Stats are stats and don't lie, right?

Not all stats are necessarily indicative, but dismissing all stats is a really weak argument. The ultimate gold standard is knowledge. Crafting, or selectively using, stats undermines my perception of your knowledge.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah Austin isn't even on the radar to be honest.

Therein lies his value as he keeps the defense honest which means one less guy to crowd the line against gurley.

Also, he really SHOULD return punts against us because we suck on special teams.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Not all stats are necessarily indicative, but dismissing all stats is a really weak argument. The ultimate gold standard is knowledge. Crafting, or selectively using, stats undermines my perception of your knowledge.
I believe in context, and although I generalized about stat mongers, stats do have some value, they are not all things. I mentioned the clamping down by the Rams defense after Fournette's 75 yard run in the context of the progression of the Rams D into Wade's 3-4. Eliminating the splash play is next on the list to clean things up..context, Clown, context.

Btw, the perceptions of anonymous posters on a sports chat site inre my knowledge, will not keep me up at night.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I believe in context, and although I generalized about stat mongers, stats do have some value, they are not all things. I mentioned the clamping down by the Rams defense after Fournette's 75 yard run in the context of the progression of the Rams D into Wade's 3-4. Eliminating the splash play is next on the list to clean things up..context, Clown, context.

Btw, the perceptions of anonymous posters on a sports chat site inre my knowledge, will not keep me up at night.

Probably does keep you up at night if you spend your time going to a rival fan site and making sure to sound off on anything which does not coincide with the current Ram fan intoxication where the word 'legit' is said so often to qualm your insecurities (and I have been a Cardinal fan for a while and therefore know battered fan syndrome well), you would swear your team has not crossed the Big Pond but are actually in the pond like a bunch of frogs going "legit, legit, legit". The Rams have a good start to the season. Looks like their new staff are headed in the right direction and if I had to choose the winner of this game, I would lean to the Rams due to the Cardinal's special teams play. In actuality, we have no idea how this game is going to turn out because it's a division game and these division games always are tough for both sides. I still think these overseas games are crap, because regardless of the score the Rams still lose something and that is a home game which is not fair to any team hosting this commercial ploy by the NFL and the Rams should not host a division game where they are not granted a home field advantage

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Probably does keep you up at night if you spend your time going to a rival fan site and making sure to sound off on anything which does not coincide with the current Ram fan intoxication where the word 'legit' is said so often to qualm your insecurities (and I have been a Cardinal fan for a while and therefore know battered fan syndrome well), you would swear your team has not crossed the Big Pond but are actually in the pond like a bunch of frogs going "legit, legit, legit". The Rams have a good start to the season. Looks like their new staff are headed in the right direction and if I had to choose the winner of this game, I would lean to the Rams due to the Cardinal's special teams play. In actuality, we have no idea how this game is going to turn out because it's a division game and these division games always are tough for both sides. I still think these overseas games are crap, because regardless of the score the Rams still lose something and that is a home game which is not fair to any team hosting this commercial ploy by the NFL and the Rams should not host a division game where they are not granted a home field advantage

I've spent very little of my time here, but whatever.

Yes, I am excited about where the Rams are and have not been since 2006 (or before). We have not been a legitimate contender in a long time, even though we could beat the Cardinals and the Seahawks, and almost no one else. Beating divisional foes seemed to be all that Fisher cared about. Yes, the Cards could beat the Rams in this game, but in general..the Rams are younger, talented, and well coached. The Rams are 3-0 on the road which speaks well of toughness of mind. Like you, I think they should have the edge here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Can you make your arguments without calling people clowns? Name calling is frowned upon here we try to keep it above a grade school level of argument.

Good luck tomorrow.
I appreciate the defense. But I think he’s leveraging my poster name.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison