Cardinal History

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it any wonder Don Coryell wanted out???
Absolutely. As I recall, Coryell was adamant that the Cardinals needed to spend a lot of draft capital on the defense. Instead, Bidwill trades a first round pick for a 30 year old DL. Zook was a good player in his prime, but no way in hell do you trade your 1st round pick for him. By all counts, BB seemed to be a decent man, but he ranked right up there with being one of the worst owners of all time. IN ANY SPORT. Yes, he was that bad.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely. As I recall, Coryell was adamant that the Cardinals needed to spend a lot of draft capital on the defense. Instead, Bidwill trades a first round pick for a 30 year old DL. Zook was a good player in his prime, but no way in hell do you trade your 1st round pick for him. By all counts, BB seemed to be a decent man, but he ranked right up there with being one of the worst owners of all time. IN ANY SPORT. Yes, he was that bad.
Thanks PA. Always insightful commentary. I believe BB thought he was the reason for the Cards 70s success and not Coach Coryell. Why else would you anger and alienate Coryell and replace him with Bud Wilkinson (a legend for sure, but who had no pro coaching experience and hadn’t coached at any level for many years)?

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1970 St Louis Cardinals:

Found this clip. Brought back lots of memories.
1970 was the last year that Charley Winner was HC. He is still alive today at age 99. 3 of his 5 seasons were winning records.

This Team had 3 shoutout games in a row! The last one was a 38-0 shellacking of the vaunted Dallas Cowboys on Monday night Football. They show some actual game footage of that in this clip.

Sadly they lost the last 3 games and missed the playoffs. I went to the NY Giants game in Busch stadium that sealed their fate that year w/ my Dad. I was in the 9th grade and went to my bedroom and cried I was so devastated not long after we got home.

I especially liked this part-" The next week the Boston Patriots came to town....."

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1970 St Louis Cardinals:

Found this clip. Brought back lots of memories.
1970 was the last year that Charley Winner was HC. He is still alive today at age 99. 3 of his 5 seasons were winning records.

This Team had 3 shoutout games in a row! The last one was a 38-0 shellacking of the vaunted Dallas Cowboys on Monday night Football. They show some actual game footage of that in this clip.

Sadly they lost the last 3 games and missed the playoffs. I went to the NY Giants game in Busch stadium that sealed their fate that year w/ my Dad. I was in the 9th grade and went to my bedroom and cried I was so devastated not long after we got home.

I especially liked this part-" The next week the Boston Patriots came to town....."

I’ve commented on that 1970 season many times over the years. It was definitely one of the better Cardinal teams I’ve seen. Not only did we have 3 shutouts in a row, but the games were all routs (Oilers 44-0, Patriots 31-0, Cowpukes 38-0). As easily as we dispatched of Dallas TWICE that year, the Giants just had our number. The vaunted Cardinal safety blitz was no match for Tarkenton in those games. It was miserable for me also, as I grew up in Syracuse, NY & most of my friends were Giants fans. I was 12 & like you, I was so frustrated that day that I was also reduced to tears in the end. We still had a shot going into the season finale against Washington, but lost 28-27 when Jim Bakken (Mr. Reliable back then) missed like a 27 yarder on the last play of the game. Old man Bidwill was so frustrated that he fired Charlie Winner in the locker room after the Skins game. Then he hired Bob Holway, probably one of the worst HC’s in Cardinal history, who lasted 2 seasons before the Coryell era began.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That 84 team was a very exciting team. Lomax threw for almost 5000 yards, Jetstream Green was the best receiver in the NFL, and our D hit hard & was opportunistic. But, we seemed to ALWAYS get hosed in close losses, especially in the season finale in Washington. We completely outplayed the Skins & should have won the NFC East title that day. But, as usual, the officiating crew felt otherwise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson