Can't sleep, dreaming of a Suns-NY trade

HooverDam

Reaction score
Welp its 4:12 AM and I can't seem to sleep. I got to thinking about hoops as I often do and I came up with this trade scenario:

Suns send:
Steve Nash
Hedo Turkoglu
Grant Hill

New York Knicks send:
Eddie Curry
Danillo Gallinari
Raymond Felton
Ronny Turiaf
Future 1st Round pick

This trade can't be made until December because Felton just signed a deal, but thats fine. There's no way the Suns are going to blow it up now before seeing how this weird roster they've assembled will work out (or won't work out). I imagine by December I imagine it'll be clear this team is good, but not great and hopefully Sarver will have the balls to start blowing it up.

Why the Knicks do it:

Nash, Amare, Hill, Hedo & Anthony Randolph playing for D'Antoni is certainly going to be a super fun team to watch and good enough to make the playoffs in the East. Moving Felton in the deal would slightly help offset taking Hedo's bad contract and give them hope of luring Melo in the offseason (though they'd still likely have to pay the tax to do it, but thats less of a concern for the Knicks).

C Amare/Mozgov
PF Hedo/Randolph
SF Hill/Chandler
SG Azubuike/Mason
PG Nash/Douglas

That gives the Knicks a pretty veteran laden starting 5 with lots of playoff experience other than Azubuike, but also gives them a bright future by holding onto guys like Chandler and Randolph.

Why the Suns do it:
Flexibility! That would be something this franchise hasn't had in a long while. Instead of getting mired in mediocrity it would give the Suns the ability to lure free agents in the future and start building anew.

Felton can hold down the fort respectably at PG until Dragic is ready or some other future better quality PG is found. Moving Hedos awful contract would be great for the Suns.

Sure I'd love to see Nash retire a Sun, but either way he'll come back here and have his number retired one day. Its more important to me that the Suns don't get stuck in mediocrity with bad contracts and no flexibility going forward.

C Lopez/Frye
PF Warrick/Turiaf/Clark
SF Gallinari/Childress
SG Richardson/Dudley
PG Felton/Dragic

If you could somehow flip J-Rich for some expiring deals, young players or assets as well, that would be terrific. If not , let him walk in the off season.

Curries deal expires after this year, Turiaf only has one more year on a relatively cheap (about $4M) player option, Gallinari is still on his rookie deal, and Feltons deal is apparently about $7M/year.

Anyway, it obviously tanks this year for the Suns, but with Dragic, Galo, Dudley, Lopez and Frye thats a pretty decent young core you can continue to add draft picks and FA's too. Hopefully they'd stink enough to get those ping pong balls a hoppin' and finally bouncing in the Suns favor.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
If the Suns really wanted flexibility, they wouldnt have spent money on Hedo, Frye, Warrick and Childress.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Whey the hell would you lose sleep over the nba of today?

I couldn't sleep and then I started thinking about basketball, not the other way around.

If the Suns really wanted flexibility, they wouldnt have spent money on Hedo, Frye, Warrick and Childress.

Right because they wanted to look like they were trying and be able to keep ticket sales high. My point is, if by mid season it looks like this team isn't going anywhere special, this is something they should pursue.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Right because they wanted to look like they were trying and be able to keep ticket sales high. My point is, if by mid season it looks like this team isn't going anywhere special, this is something they should pursue.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see if the looming lockout will have any affect on midseason deals. Have a feeling teams are going to be playing wait and see with the exception of a few contenders.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Suns wanted to be rid of Hedo's bloated contract, they wouldn't have traded for it in the first place.

The Suns already have a pg to hold down the fort until Dragic is ready to take over. A much better pg than Felton.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn