Canada's Nash continues to combine charity work with success on the court

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Nice article from the Canadian press on Nash's charity work, along with some kudos for his on court play by Chris Paul and Lebron James.

Canada's Nash continues to combine charity work with success on the court

2 days ago
NEW ORLEANS - Steve Nash sat in the ballroom of a swanky New Orleans hotel among basketball's biggest stars, all there to talk to the horde of media about the NBA all-star game.

Nash, though, was talking women's soccer, and educating children in rural China, plus the ongoing cleanup efforts in New Orleans more than two years after hurricane Katrina.

The Phoenix Suns guard earned his sixth all-star honour this year, a coach's pick for the Western Conference team for Sunday's showcase game.

But off the court, the Victoria native and all-around NBA good guy is busier than ever, deftly dishing out assists to a growing number of charitable causes.

One of his most recent projects is women's soccer - Nash recently announced he's investing in the women's pro league that's set to kick off in the U.S. in 2009.

"Really I just wanted to support the women, try to help give them a platform to play professional soccer," said Nash, whose brother Martin plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps and sister Joann played for the University of Victoria.

"I think that women deserve a chance. There's a huge market of young women soccer players out there that deserve players to look up to and emulate and learn from their desire and skill and athleticism that the women's game encompasses.

"And being the father of two young girls I feel really special that I can be a part of that and help and hopefully see it succeed."

Nash was also sporting his new Nike "Trash Talk" shoe in New Orleans, the first basketball sneaker to be made completely of recycled materials.

And this past September, the guard teamed up with Houston Rockets centre Yao Ming to raise money for needy Chinese children. Nash chartered a plane to whisk himself and Yao, plus nine other NBA players to Beijing, where they raised over US$2.5 million through various events.

"It's no small feat to pull that off, but somehow it happened, and we're going to have a massive impact on education in rural China, building schools in the communities for thousands of kids that haven't had the opportunity to go to school," Nash said.

At home in Canada, of course, his numerous off-court efforts continue - his annual charity all-star game in Vancouver, and his Steve Nash Youth Basketball League. He was awarded the Order of Canada in December for his contributions both on the court and off.

This season hasn't been an easy one for the two-time league MVP. Last year ended in disappointment once again for the Suns, who were ousted in a controversial Western Conference semifinal series by the San Antonio Spurs.

There's many that think the window is closing on any hopes of an NBA championship for Nash and his Suns.

"I feel very positive but I also feel like it's been a tough year," Nash said. "Most of it has been a bit of a struggle, mentally and emotionally, with just trying to get the group over the hump collectively. It's been a difficult one. So considering that, I'm not too disappointed with anything, but I don't think it's my best year."

In an effort to finally grab that elusive NBA title, the Suns acquired Shaquille O'Neal earlier this month in a trade with the Miami Heat. Shaq's presence in the locker-room, said Nash, immediately lifted the spirits of his sagging Suns squad.

"He's boring," Nash quipped about his newest teammate. "We're going to try to get him out a little bit, liven him up, get him comfortable with some cameras and microphones.

"No, he's been amazing. Obviously he's charismatic, and has a great personality and I think that's been as exciting to our team, to get that lift from him. And he has skills that nobody can bring to our team. We're excited at the prospects."

Nash, himself, is having another solid season, averaging 17.4 points and a career-high 11.7 assists a night. He's shooting a career-high 46.7 per cent from three-point range, plus 50.8 per cent from the field. And the 34-year-old's game continues to draw praise from players around the league.

"He approaches the game like it's his last every day," said Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James. "He's maybe six foot, 100-some pounds and he plays like he's the biggest guy on the court."

New Orleans point guard Chris Paul said he models his game on Nash's. Asked how that made him feel, Nash replied: "Old. And flattered."

The veteran Nash marvels at where his career has taken him.

"I never realized I would have the type of career I've had and I feel really fortunate to continue to improve and to play with great teammates and coaches, and was able to stay healthy for the most part so I couldn't ask for anything more," Nash said.

"The dream evolves. You get your feet wet, you understand a little bit more about the business, you understand a little bit more about what it takes to be successful. The dream is still there, it just changes and evolves."

For Nash, there's always more work to be done.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison