Can we talk about Okogie?

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
I read on RealGM that Okogie has a 7 foot wingspan and 8'6 standing reach. That explains why his opponents alway seem hesitant when defended by him. I recall he also got the assignment for Zion when the teams met. Also, he has good handles, and Monty trusted him to bring the ball up court despite both Paul and Book were in the same time.

Reaction score
Defensively, he's among the best players we've ever had. Offensively, he's average at best.

I think we are putting too much stock on being a starter/not being a starter. Monty especially staggers lineups like crazy so a lot of times (Jae Crowder notwithstanding), starting is irrelevant. The main reason for starting someone honestly is all about how many minutes the starter can play. Can Okogie push at least 25 minutes as a starter playing like he does? I'm not sure he can.
I think one of the things we're seeing is that he drives and doesn't have confidence to try to finish--rather, he seems to drive to get fouled. That's fine, but I don't think we're seeing his offense yet. And if Bridges can turn himself into a very solid offensive threat, Josh can too. I think he has very high upside.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read on RealGM that Okogie has a 7 foot wingspan and 8'6 standing reach. That explains why his opponents alway seem hesitant when defended by him. I recall he also got the assignment for Zion when the teams met. Also, he has good handles, and Monty trusted him to bring the ball up court despite both Paul and Book were in the same time.
Yes. He does seem to be a pretty good ball-handler and passer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I've mentioned several times before I think Okogie has some point guard skills.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Either that is highly impressive, or Williamson's size and strength are highly over-rated. He should overpower Okogie.

I somewhat think that, due to being obviously injury-prone, ZW is the latest player who should be called a unicorn.
He did overpower okogie. But he overpowered (or out quicker in Ayton’s case) everyone on our team.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I like that Okogie does not hesitate or pass up when he receives the ball and is open. Contrast that with Craig who we've seen pass up shots routinely for worse/more contested shots. CP3 mentioned this in the last post-game interview as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like that Okogie does not hesitate or pass up when he receives the ball and is open. Contrast that with Craig who we've seen pass up shots routinely for worse/more contested shots. CP3 mentioned this in the last post-game interview as well.

This is a bit unfair to Craig. Half his shot attempts are 3s and he's making 40% of them. Those are very good numbers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a bit unfair to Craig. Half his shot attempts are 3s and he's making 40% of them. Those are very good numbers.
Yeah and we have literally seen okogie pass up a wide open three. Take two dribbles. And then throw up an awful contested step back three. His shot selection isn’t the best.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Another thing I like about Okogie he does not hesitate driving the ball to the basket to create on offense. He often draws fouls this way.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
The shot selection issue exists for all of them from Okogie to Craig to Damion. It's indication of lack of confidence on their own for hitting the 3pt shot, based on which driving to get rid of the ball in another way is justified. But Okogie's drives are the most productive though; and his defense is also much better than the other two. Going forward, either sit Craig and Damion for guys with 3pt confidence say Ross and Warren, or Monty ought to design some alternative plays to take away the pressure of nailing the 3.
BTW, when defending ZW it's only about containment to limit damages, since ZW prefers face-up attacks from perimeter, Okogie is among the best to take away ZW's first step making him into hesitation mode, occasions of overpowering not withstanding.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What are you talking about, okogie passes up open threes and make it more difficult on himself.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he has earned the starting nod at this point, and thats no disrespect to my boi Tcraig

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he has earned the starting nod at this point, and thats no disrespect to my boi Tcraig
I am beginning to think so, depending on the matchup. Every championship caliber team needs a dirt worker. He is a very versatile dirt worker. Actually. We could a defensive minded combo forward too. Someone like Jae Crowder actually.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Okogie led the team with 24 points last night. 5 rebounds (2 of them offensive). 3 steals, 1 dime. 9 out of 16 from the field, 6 out of 12 from deep. Okogie did a lot last night but him shooting 50% from the three kept us in the game.

Okogie also led in minutes played (41)
Booker had second most minutes (34)

Ross was good. Solid 16 points and had his moments but was also only 1 out of 8 from downtown. I do like that he kept shooting though, I can see him having some heaters

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Okogie led the team with 24 points last night. 5 rebounds (2 of them offensive). 3 steals, 1 dime. 9 out of 16 from the field, 6 out of 12 from deep. Okogie did a lot last night but him shooting 50% from the three kept us in the game.

Okogie also led in minutes played (41)
Booker had second most minutes (34)

Ross was good. Solid 16 points and had his moments but was also only 1 out of 8 from downtown. I do like that he kept shooting though, I can see him having some heaters
I think my favorite Okogie pts last night was the Euro-step finger roll and the other was when he put Paul George on skates, stayed baseline and got the easy bucket

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This exactly what other teams want, for Okogie to beat us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I am just making fun of how Okogie is just in Bridges spot and is doing just fine. This thing that he was held back is dumb.

I never thought Bridges was held back. With all the injuries to Suns players this season, he did have a better opportunity to show what he could do. He should have a similar opportunity with the Nets.

I do think Bridges will become a much better player as his game matures.

It would be nice to think Okogie can be as good a player, but it's way too early to tell. Okogie is shooting the lights out right now, but his stats do not indicate this will continue. What a steal this would be if the Suns latched on to a shooting star.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I never thought Bridges was held back. With all the injuries to Suns players this season, he did have a better opportunity to show what he could do. He should have a similar opportunity with the Nets.

I do think Bridges will become a much better player as his game matures.

It would be nice to think Okogie can be as good a player, but it's way too early to tell. Okogie is shooting the lights out right now, but his stats do not indicate this will continue. What a steal this would be if the Suns latched on to a shooting star.
People are just getting too caught up in one game where he was on fire. A big part of him having that game (and he alluded to this himself) was that stretch before the trade where he was starting to really get into an offensive groove and get confident. Prior to the trade he had a 13 game stretch averaging 23 points and 5 assists. Just because he didn't have a game where he was on fire and dropped 40+ doesn't mean that he is just finally in a position where he can actually spread his wings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are just getting too caught up in one game where he was on fire. A big part of him having that game (and he alluded to this himself) was that stretch before the trade where he was starting to really get into an offensive groove and get confident. Prior to the trade he had a 13 game stretch averaging 23 points and 5 assists. Just because he didn't have a game where he was on fire and dropped 40+ doesn't mean that he is just finally in a position where he can actually spread his wings.

The 13 games Bridges had before he was traded impressed me more than his 45 point effort with the Nets, although in three games with Brooklyn, he is averaging 25 points a game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's worse, the ridiculous attacks on Mikal or the ridiculous claims on his behalf. On this one, it's clear we've held Bridges back just like Sacramento and Golden State held Tony Delk back. We set him free, he scored 53 points in a game and then went on to become one of the all time NBA scoring greats.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose