Can we stick a fork in Chandler Jones?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real problem is we are all conditioned by media coverage.
By that I mean we see player “A” with 2 sacks. Next highlight is player “ B” with a 3 sack game.
Then we watch our game and our player hasn’t had a sack in 3 games so he’s a bum.

Chopper posted Chandlers stats and based on that it’s pretty good. I don’t like to see productive players leave. If Chandler leaves We need to replace him. Replacing him is going to cost money and doing so with a player of his caliber will cost a lot of money.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So he’s had less than 1 sack in 9 of his 13 games played this year… so in 70% of his games we could say he’s been ineffective bc he’s not good against the run. He’s going to be 32 here in February. He didn’t look effective in the games leading up to his injury last year either…

He’s going to have the least amount of tackles in a season in his career this year (outside of last years injury year). His TFL’s are pretty much in line w his average season. He does have a couple more QB hits than his average season, so that’s a plus.

Why would we want to pay a declining, aging player $12mm+ a year and for a duration of 3 years.. until he’s 35?

Unless you are a QB, Olineman, Kicker or a punter.. you’re not seeing prime years past the age of 32 for the most part.

I’d be quite surprised if we couldn’t sign a more effective, younger pass rusher for 3 years - $36m to $42m contract. He literally has recorded a full sack or more in only 4 games this year… and in games where he hasn’t, I can’t think of a game - we’ve said, “he didn’t get a sack but he was all over the QB all game long”.? I think some people are still in love with the CJ of old. Easy to do as a loyal fan.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he’s had less than 1 sack in 9 of his 13 games played this year… so in 70% of his games we could say he’s been ineffective bc he’s not good against the run. He’s going to be 32 here in February. He didn’t look effective in the games leading up to his injury last year either…

He’s going to have the least amount of tackles in a season in his career this year (outside of last years injury year). His TFL’s are pretty much in line w his average season. He does have a couple more QB hits than his average season, so that’s a plus.

Why would we want to pay a declining, aging player $12mm+ a year and for a duration of 3 years.. until he’s 35?

Unless you are a QB, Olineman, Kicker or a punter.. you’re not seeing prime years past the age of 32 for the most part.

I’d be quite surprised if we couldn’t sign a more effective, younger pass rusher for 3 years - $36m to $42m contract. He literally has recorded a full sack or more in only 4 games this year… and in games where he hasn’t, I can’t think of a game - we’ve said, “he didn’t get a sack but he was all over the QB all game long”.? I think some people are still in love with the CJ of old. Easy to do as a loyal fan.
I think you maybe underestimating pressures and batted balls.
But I’ll ask, who do you want to replace him and how much do you think it will cost?

Reactions: PJ1

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going to be a tough off season in terms of the salary cap as we have many free agents plus Kyler's contract extension. Not sure if we can afford Chandler.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think you maybe underestimating pressures and batted balls.
But I’ll ask, who do you want to replace him and how much do you think it will cost?
I don’t think I’m underestimating batter balls - 4. 2-4 looks like the average for any + rated edge rusher.

QB hits - you may be correct there, hence the reason I noted his increase in QB hits this year. I prob dive into the stats a little more w Watt vs without Watt as well..

As far as replacements at that 12-15mm level, not sure off the top of my head. Need to check free agency and the marketplace. Running errands and will post back here in a bit some ideas. I am confident there are younger players in that range w more upside in taking a look at the current players with similar contracts l.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CJ is the best pass rusher on the team, IMO. Not even close. Media has already announced that Michah Parsons will be DPOY, and how did he compare to CJ, last week? My hope is that SK will find a way to keep him.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CJ is the best pass rusher on the team, IMO. Not even close. Media has already announced that Michah Parsons will be DPOY, and how did he compare to CJ, last week? My hope is that SK will find a way to keep him.
Eww did you just compare 2021 CJ to Micah Parsons? C’mon man…

Also, saying CJ is the best pass rusher on the team - agreed, but what’s that’s really saying to any team not named the Titans or Seattle (7 of his 9 sacks and 2 of his games he’s even had a full sack in)

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"Eww did you just compare 2021 CJ to Micah Parsons? C’mon man…"

He did compare them....For last week.:Dold

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’m underestimating batter balls - 4. 2-4 looks like the average for any + rated edge rusher.

QB hits - you may be correct there, hence the reason I noted his increase in QB hits this year. I prob dive into the stats a little more w Watt vs without Watt as well..

As far as replacements at that 12-15mm level, not sure off the top of my head. Need to check free agency and the marketplace. Running errands and will post back here in a bit some ideas. I am confident there are younger players in that range w more upside in taking a look at the current players with similar contracts l.
Yeah. Guys like Devon Kennard and Markus Golden. That's what will be in that range. I can't recall any pass rusher making a jump to elite level 4 or 5 years into their career.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like the Cards to resign Chandler but at the right price. Maybe $6 to $8 million per year. Not sure if he would get more as a free agent.

I can guarantee with absolute certainty he would get double that in FA at the very least.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
CJ has been closing the season well. Worthy of pro bowl selection

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Tagging him is by far the best move.

At the same time I don't think we can afford it.
Why not? Cap space is really irrelevant. Guys are rarely cap
casualties. If a team says they are, it just means the team didn't want to keep/pay him any longer.

Reactions: PJ1

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah. Guys like Devon Kennard and Markus Golden. That's what will be in that range. I can't recall any pass rusher making a jump to elite level 4 or 5 years into their career.
I can..instantly Shaq Barrett

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Tagging him is by far the best move.

At the same time I don't think we can afford it.

It really seems like the team's best strategy, because it's not hard to imagine that CJ still has one more, but only one more, year of excellent/elite production left in him.

And it's not a horrible deal for him either. He gets big money for a year, and if he plays well, a chance to sign a good contract for 2023+.

Finally, from a fan's perspective, it's hard to feel to sorry for a guy that's going to make 15 million or whatever for one year's worth of work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson