Can we stick a fork in Chandler Jones?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tied for 2nd in the NFL for QB Knockdowns.

Tied for 15th in sacks.

Tied for 17th in pressures.

Tied for 15th in TFLs.

Tied for 10th in QB hits. (tied with Aaron Donald)

You guys are crazy. I get that money is the key but Robert Quinn gets 14 mil per year at a similar age. Shaq Barrett is 30 and got 17 mil per year.

Brandon Graham is 34 and makes 9.25/yr avg.

Jerry Hughes is 34 and makes 10.75/yr avg.

JPP is 33 and makes 12.5/yr avg.

Jones is better than all of those guys at 32. So, 8 mil per year is just ignorant because that is not his value. That is what we pay Devon Kennard to play 30% snaps. The dollars should be between 13.5 and 16. Won't be a long contract of course.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Campbell was producing at a higher and more consistent rate.
At 31 Calais Campbell received a 4 year 60mil contract coming off an 8 sacks season. That was 5 years ago and the cap has increased.

At 32 Campbell recorded 10.5 sacks.

I mean, it's similar and even if you think Calais was slightly better despite similar stats at that age, 15 mil then is like 17 mil now.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I hope he likes it here, think he does, think he is bright and valuable, think 12 million a year with incentives for 2 years is the number - a lot of bang for the buck is my opinion

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would like the Cards to resign Chandler but at the right price. Maybe $6 to $8 million per year. Not sure if he would get more as a free agent.
I'm all for resigning Chan as well...At the right price.

The problem is I don't think neither he nor his agent will accept "the right price" offer from the Cards. It only takes one team to overpay, and even though he is getting up there in age, his reputation alone will probably cause at least 1 team to overpay to secure his services.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem is I don't think neither he nor his agent will accept "the right price" offer from the Cards. It only takes one team to overpay, and even though he is getting up there in age, his reputation alone will probably cause at least 1 team to overpay to secure his services.
We always say this about our free agents. "If we can get him back cheap." "If he accepts the right price." We don't determine the price. The price is set by the market. Anyone who is as valued as a OLB, pass rusher, as Jones is.... it's not going to be "cheap" or the "right price". We will either pony up, or we won't.

I am guessing we tag him, for negotiating and trade leverage. But, his contract will be big money, for the Cards or for someone else.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We always say this about our free agents. "If we can get him back cheap." "If he accepts the right price." We don't determine the price. The price is set by the market. Anyone who is as valued as a OLB, pass rusher, as Jones is.... it's not going to be "cheap" or the "right price". We will either pony up, or we won't.

I am guessing we tag him, for negotiating and trade leverage. But, his contract will be big money, for the Cards or for someone else.
He won't like it, but tagging him may be a wise move.

I think he definitely has some gas left in the tank. I'd be happy with a 2-3 year deal.

I think the market will give him at least 15 million a year.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At 31 Calais Campbell received a 4 year 60mil contract coming off an 8 sacks season. That was 5 years ago and the cap has increased.

At 32 Campbell recorded 10.5 sacks.

I mean, it's similar and even if you think Calais was slightly better despite similar stats at that age, 15 mil then is like 17 mil now.
There was no one else available anywhere close to Calais when he signed that contract (we franchised CJ, JPP was franchised, Kawann Short was franchised, ETC) AND the Jags has endless cap room to blow. He turned out to be worth the money and able to play at a high level much longer than anyone expected, but that is the exception not the rule.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He won't like it, but tagging him may be a wise move.

I think he definitely has some gas left in the tank. I'd be happy with a 2-3 year deal.

I think the market will give him at least 15 million a year.
Tagging him would 100 percent be the right move. Pricey, but it means we don't have a giant hole to fill, and we're not tied to an aging star who is definitely lagging long-term.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Perhaps the best we can hope for is a little "hometown" discount.

I have to think if CJ thinks we're close to a championship (or, hopefully another championship, haha) he'll sign with us for a little less than market value, and maybe some type of cap-friendly contract.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the best we can hope for is a little "hometown" discount.

I have to think if CJ thinks we're close to a championship (or, hopefully another championship, haha) he'll sign with us for a little less than market value, and maybe a some type of cap friendly contract.
Hasn’t CJ already won a title with the Pats? This is his last chance at a big payday. I’d be really surprised if he took any kind of discount to come back.

And I’m torn on what to do here. I was firmly in the pay Calais camp when we let him walk, but he was still a beast all season. Chandler’s been a total ghost in a lot of games, but has had three great games and a a couple solid games. The tag might be the best way forward and drafting his replacement in the first or second round.

And I know, people hate me for saying this, but it still bothers the hell out of me that we already drafted his replacement and let him walk out the door for peanuts.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hasn’t CJ already won a title with the Pats? This is his last chance at a big payday. I’d be really surprised if he took any kind of discount to come back.

And I’m torn on what to do here. I was firmly in the pay Calais camp when we let him walk, but he was still a beast all season. Chandler’s been a total ghost in a lot of games, but has had three great games and a a couple solid games. The tag might be the best way forward and drafting his replacement in the first or second round.

And I know, people hate me for saying this, but it still bothers the hell out of me that we already drafted his replacement and let him walk out the door for peanuts.
collins at OLB this week...dude blows it up, we may already have a replacement for Jones.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hasn’t CJ already won a title with the Pats?
Right here in our stadium. The game where all Seattle had to do was run it in for a TD but instead threw an INT to Malcolm Butler at the goal line.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

A year later, it still makes zero sense.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let him walk.. too pricey, he has been a non factor for what ~70% of our games? If he was younger and still here I’d say pay him even with this season… but he’s not.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s going to need a lot of money to buy himself a wife like Gambo’s…

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I think I'm much too low with my $8 million per year deal. He will get far more from some other team. Bottom line is I'm not sure we can afford him.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Tied for 2nd in the NFL for QB Knockdowns.

Tied for 15th in sacks.

Tied for 17th in pressures.

Tied for 15th in TFLs.

Tied for 10th in QB hits. (tied with Aaron Donald)

You guys are crazy. I get that money is the key but Robert Quinn gets 14 mil per year at a similar age. Shaq Barrett is 30 and got 17 mil per year.

Brandon Graham is 34 and makes 9.25/yr avg.

Jerry Hughes is 34 and makes 10.75/yr avg.

JPP is 33 and makes 12.5/yr avg.

Jones is better than all of those guys at 32. So, 8 mil per year is just ignorant because that is not his value. That is what we pay Devon Kennard to play 30% snaps. The dollars should be between 13.5 and 16. Won't be a long contract of course.
Good post. I think probably every fan of every team in the league has a pass rusher they think is overrated and overpaid. I get it. You pay someone that much $, you expect a sack a week. It’s just not that easy. obviously he is not the same player he used to be, but you’re not gonna find another defensive end in FA that’s as good or that won’t command too $. People thinking he should take $8M per year are crazy.

Reactions: PJ1