Caleb Williams interview on Kliff and the Cardinals.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is any QB any good if they don’t think they’re good? Brees was very fortunate that the Saints with Payton took a chance on him. Payton made him great. Had he stayed with SD, no one would even remember him now. Where you get drafted & who develops you has a lot to do with your success.
Brees went to a pro bowl in 2004 with the Chargers. He was a good QB when they drafted Rivers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Just to ensure we are on the same page.

"Had supporting casts" is a reference to those colleges that are filled with 5 star recruits. I name a few of those universities earlier. Also, I don't feel I have ever stated that this was a disqualifier, just a common trait to be aware of. That is why I used the term "skeptical".

Top 5 QBs...Mahomes. Burrow. Allen. Herbert. Rodgers

Off the top of my head.
This is Lamar Jackson erasure.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You can draft anyone eligible even if they haven’t declared; you just have to be prepared to lose their rights if they don’t/won’t sign after a year.

Dallas drafted Drew Henson when he was playing baseball.
Players with college eligibility are required to declare. If they still have eligibility and haven't declared, they can't be drafted. Regarding Henson, it's possible he was no longer eligible, due to playing baseball, unless he had already spent 4 years at Michigan.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just saw something online stating that he is claiming he will not come out unless he gets drafted by 1 of the 5 teams he likes. Otherwise he can play another year at USC where he can make more money than in the NFL.

Those 5 teams are:

-Cowboys
-Vikings
-49ers
-Giants
-Raiders
Not everything that has a blue checkmark is legit my friend.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm really starting to Hope the Cardinals trade Kyler Murray and draft Caleb Williams. I've never mentioned on this board that I was a military kid born in California and grew up a Rams fan. Still love the Rams but really have enjoyed watching the Cardinals over the years as well. I would have ABSOLUTELY NO problem seeing Kyler Murray wearing a Rams jersey. For some reason Williams reminds me to much of Justin Fields, don't know why he just does. I remember when the message board was on the Cardinals Home website and arguing with fans who hated Kurt Warner and thought he was washed up and the Cardinals were stupid for taking him, and let's not mention on this site those that believed Josh Rosen was the best thing to happen to football since grass. Really have never understood Arizona sports fans...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe so. But, he wasn’t a great QB until he went to the Saints.
Brees absolutely was a great QB his last year in sandy eggo... but he crushed his throwing shoulder so the bolts moved their chips to rivers and let drew walk in FA...But I am pretty sure he had a chip on his shoulder and a ton of gratitude for the saints taking a chance on him...and that motivated him to work even harder.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lizzo is so ugly. You know the Vikings player would never admit to hooking up with her.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I assume Williams’ refusal to play for the Cards is an attempt to get the organization to trade him to a team he wants to play for. But, realistically, the Cards might ask for 2 firsts and a third for the pick. Who would give that up? That team could be giving up the tackle who would keep Williams clean and the wide out he would be throwing to. And if he returned to school, there’s always the possibility he’d get hurt. No one would draft a QB with an ACL/MCL or reconstructed shoulder. The risks are to great for him in that scenario. If the Cards have that first pick, they have all the leverage.
it will be A LOT more than that to trade, Cards got 2 1st and and a 2nd last year for a LB. A generational QB (I prefer Maye) I hope they trade it if its Williams at the top and clean house with 3 1st, and 2 2nds plus an impact player or 2

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brees absolutely was a great QB his last year in sandy eggo... but he crushed his throwing shoulder so the bolts moved their chips to rivers and let drew walk in FA...But I am pretty sure he had a chip on his shoulder and a ton of gratitude for the saints taking a chance on him...and that motivated him to work even harder.
His last year in SD was 2005. He completed 64% of his passes for 3500 yards, had 24 tds & 15 interceptions & had a QB rating of 89. It all depends on what you may think constitutes a great season though. For me, that’s a very average season.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Williams seems to put me in front of team. That wouldn’t flow with Gannon.

Gannon doesn’t seem to shoot BS. I think he is excited what Murray would do for this offense, Whether we agree with that or not. It appears Murray has bought into the program. If anybody knows that for sure it’s Gannon.

We need to add to both lines. Give me 4 bad ass d-linemen that can put pressure on the Qb without blitzing and this defensive scheme will flourish.

So forget the talk about drafting a Qb unless Kyler’s injury limits him and he is somewhat less than what he was when healthy.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
So the question that comes to my mind is, Can a college player intentionally forgo (I do not wish to be part of) the NFL draft and then go on to sign with whichever team he would prefer to play for as an undrafted or in this case a non drafted player? Is there a loophole where a college player can say I do not want nor desire to be entered into the NFL draft system or is there no choice in the matter?

I pretty sure a team can draft a player to retain the rights to that player and then trade them to another team or just hold them in limbo until such time as the NFL team decides what to do with them.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
His last year in SD was 2005. He completed 64% of his passes for 3500 yards, had 24 tds & 15 interceptions & had a QB rating of 89. It all depends on what you may think constitutes a great season though. For me, that’s a very average season.
That wasn't an average season in 2005, though. It would be today.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can a college player intentionally forgo (I do not wish to be part of) the NFL draft and then go on to sign with whichever team he would prefer to play for as an undrafted or in this case a non drafted player? Is there a loophole where a college player can say I do not want nor desire to be entered into the NFL draft system or is there no choice in the matter?
The college player can say whatever they like; if a team drafts him, they own his rights for a year.

I believe it was Drew Henson, but I vaguely remember another team who used a late-round pick on a prospect out of spite/to keep him away from the team who wanted him.

This may actually be when a team put in a waiver claim on Prime late in his career tho.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
The college player can say whatever they like; if a team drafts him, they own his rights for a year.

I believe it was Drew Henson, but I vaguely remember another team who used a late-round pick on a prospect out of spite/to keep him away from the team who wanted him.

This may actually be when a team put in a waiver claim on Prime late in his career tho.
The college player still has to be eligible for the draft, though. If Williams doesn't declare this year, then he's not draftable. Next year, after completing his senior year, then it's different.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is Lamar Jackson erasure.
I know. My hot take is that I don't believe that Lamar is actually good at throwing footballs compared to the best QBs in football. His stats are good, but I believe the passing game is mostly managed for him.

I also agree that Lamar is in the convo.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, might not be true. However it definitely sounds plausible as his dad already said he can just go back to USC if they don’t like the situation of who tries to pick him. Sounds like they are trying to create a scenario where they control where he goes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, might not be true. However it definitely sounds plausible as his dad already said he can just go back to USC if they don’t like the situation of who tries to pick him. Sounds like they are trying to create a scenario where they control where he goes.
Read the rest of Twitter posts and you'll quickly see he makes up stuff.