Caleb Williams interview on Kliff and the Cardinals.

Reaction score
Means nothing.
What it means is every USC QB gets hyped by media like they are setting the world afire. And they haven't! I think that, so far, Williams looks better than that long list of NFL failures.

But I wouldn't bank on it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What it means is every USC QB gets hyped by media like they are setting the world afire. And they haven't! I think that, so far, Williams looks better than that long list of NFL failures.

But I wouldn't bank on it.

Okay but what does Caleb Williams have to do with Matt Leinart or Todd Marinovich? If he stayed at Oklahoma he’d be a different level of prospect?

Reaction score
Okay but what does Caleb Williams have to do with Matt Leinart or Todd Marinovich? If he stayed at Oklahoma he’d be a different level of prospect?
Williams is being built up in the media as a savior, the same as many, even damn near all previous USC quarterbacks. This is the point.

I think Williams is better than many of the aforementioned have been. But, I remain wary of buying into the hype. Also, there can be a detriment to these QB's if they start believing the hype with which they are being deluged.

There is a clear trend regarding USC QB's. You seem to think this doesn't matter and doesn't have any implications, whereas I believe it does. Williams may counter the trend, but I wouldn't count on it.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Packers really shouldnt have drafted Aaron Rodgers. I mean did you see how awful former Tedford QBs Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington and Akili smith were?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will say that I am skeptical of almost every QB who comes from these elite schools like USC, Ohio St, Alabama, and Georgia. Even schools like Oklahoma, Texas, and Michigan to a degree. I am sure there are more I could add.

It is just a very small amount of actual NFL translatable film to try to evaluate them on. The best thing to like about Williams so far is that he will have over 30 game started which can be a rarity for college QB phenoms.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I will say that I am skeptical of almost every QB who comes from these elite schools like USC, Ohio St, Alabama, and Georgia. Even schools like Oklahoma, Texas, and Michigan to a degree. I am sure there are more I could add.

It is just a very small amount of actual NFL translatable film to try to evaluate them on. The best thing to like about Williams so far is that he will have over 30 game started which can be a rarity for college QB phenoms.
Heh Miami of Ohio has more successful QBs than Ohio State has had this century.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You are correct that it doesn't mean everything, but it does mean something.

In what way? The coaching and offenses for USC have changed dramatically over the last 10-20 years.

A true "system" QB is easier to argue with than a school's historic results.

In that case (system QB) - the system (Lincoln Riley) has produced 3 starting NFL QB's. Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts (yes I understand Alabama but he lost his starting job to Tua and if he hadn't transferred to OU, he mostly likely wouldn't have had the same opportunities). I would imagine very few people predicted he would be this good in the NFL/this early.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Pretty much agree and I think skepticism is warranted generally when drafting QBs.

Playing QB in the NFL is difficult. Like really difficult.

There's probably 10 QBs drafted every year, but very, very few ever even make it to "average" NFL starter and the percentage chance that even a blue chip prospect like C. Williams will be an NFL superstar is low, like less than 50%.

It's a crap shoot, which sucks for teams and fans, but that's the way it is.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In what way? The coaching and offenses for USC have changed dramatically over the last 10-20 years.

A true "system" QB is easier to argue with than a school's historic results.

In that case (system QB) - the system (Lincoln Riley) has produced 3 starting NFL QB's. Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts (yes I understand Alabama but he lost his starting job to Tua and if he hadn't transferred to OU, he mostly likely wouldn't have had the same opportunities). I would imagine very few people predicted he would be this good in the NFL/this early.
If you are critical of supporting casts like I am, I believe that is the common factor. Not the "system".

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If you are critical of supporting casts like I am, I believe that is the common factor. Not the "system".

Joe Burrow had some pretty nice weapons in college.
So did Tua, Hurts, Kyler, and Mayfield.

Flipside:
Herbert, Josh Allen, and Mahomes didn't.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Joe Burrow had some pretty nice weapons in college.
So did Tua, Hurts, Kyler, and Mayfield.

Flipside:
Herbert, Josh Allen, and Mahomes didn't.
It's a little tough. I would count Kyler, Tua and Mayfield as guys who have disappointed so far. Tua is health related and a slow start. Kyler health and the the past year a half overall. Baker is pretty much a bust.

Kyler and Tua still have time change things given new coaching staffs.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I assume Williams’ refusal to play for the Cards is an attempt to get the organization to trade him to a team he wants to play for. But, realistically, the Cards might ask for 2 firsts and a third for the pick. Who would give that up? That team could be giving up the tackle who would keep Williams clean and the wide out he would be throwing to. And if he returned to school, there’s always the possibility he’d get hurt. No one would draft a QB with an ACL/MCL or reconstructed shoulder. The risks are to great for him in that scenario. If the Cards have that first pick, they have all the leverage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is it?

I just showed you 5 NFL starting QB's (Kyler will be again) that had weapons in college.

They have all had success in the NFL.
"Had success" and "successful" are two different things especially from a team/winning aspect. Baker has not been successful. Kyler has not been successful. Tua has not been successful.

As I said, Tua and Kyler still have time. I think Baker is done. So we will see.

(consider from a player standpoint, Kyler has been though. He has received some personal accolades, and a huge second contract. I just view these things from a team standpoint and not an individual one.)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

"Had success" and "successful" are two different things especially from a team/winning aspect.

Who are your top 5 QB's in the NFL right now and how many had strong supporting casts in college?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
"Had success" and "successful" are two different things especially from a team/winning aspect. Baker has not been successful. Kyler has not been successful. Tua has not been successful.

As I said, Tua and Kyler still have time. I think Baker is done. So we will see.

(consider from a player standpoint, Kyler has been though. He has received some personal accolades, and a huge second contract. I just view these things from a team standpoint and not an individual one.)
I'll quibble a bit and say Baker has been successful. He took the Browns to the playoffs after an eternity outside looking in, and he beat the hated rivals in the playoffs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'll quibble a bit and say Baker has been successful. He took the Browns to the playoffs after an eternity outside looking in, and he beat the hated rivals in the playoffs.

Baker is a good QB he was just over drafted. He’s probably a success story if he went in the 2nd rd but his attitude is holding him back. By all accounts his teammates like him but he thinks he’s better than he is. I thought he had some Drew Brees potential coming out of college but I overrated his arm talent.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Who are your top 5 QB's in the NFL right now and how many had strong supporting casts in college?
Just to ensure we are on the same page.

"Had supporting casts" is a reference to those colleges that are filled with 5 star recruits. I name a few of those universities earlier. Also, I don't feel I have ever stated that this was a disqualifier, just a common trait to be aware of. That is why I used the term "skeptical".

Top 5 QBs...Mahomes. Burrow. Allen. Herbert. Rodgers

Off the top of my head.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baker is a good QB he was just over drafted. He’s probably a success story if he went in the 2nd rd but his attitude is holding him back. By all accounts his teammates like him but he thinks he’s better than he is. I thought he had some Drew Brees potential coming out of college but I overrated his arm talent.
Is any QB any good if they don’t think they’re good? Brees was very fortunate that the Saints with Payton took a chance on him. Payton made him great. Had he stayed with SD, no one would even remember him now. Where you get drafted & who develops you has a lot to do with your success.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just saw something online stating that he is claiming he will not come out unless he gets drafted by 1 of the 5 teams he likes. Otherwise he can play another year at USC where he can make more money than in the NFL.

Those 5 teams are:

-Cowboys
-Vikings
-49ers
-Giants
-Raiders

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw something online stating that he is claiming he will not come out unless he gets drafted by 1 of the 5 teams he likes. Otherwise he can play another year at USC where he can make more money than in the NFL.

Those 5 teams are:

-Cowboys
-Vikings
-49ers
-Giants
-Raiders
Good luck with that.

Once he declares, he can't go back to college.

So unless the Raiders or Giants have the first pick, he's SOL

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good luck with that.

Once he declares, he can't go back to college.

So unless the Raiders or Giants have the first pick, he's SOL
You can draft anyone eligible even if they haven’t declared; you just have to be prepared to lose their rights if they don’t/won’t sign after a year.

Dallas drafted Drew Henson when he was playing baseball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen