Caleb Williams interview on Kliff and the Cardinals.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
On the record. I dont want caleb... he brings back itches of ryan leaf to me.

However,... the NFL needs to put a stop to players trying to manipulate where they go...I would really appreciate a rule that any public statements regarding refusing to play for any specific team automatically bans said player from the first round.
if they have the strength of their convictions they wont mind taking a second round slotted salary instead of a first round slotted salary.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s the player empowerment era so this isn’t really surprising but he’s going to be the in the draft next year regardless of who’s picking #1. I think he’s the best QB this year we’ll have options if things get sticky.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Matt Leinart was a #1 pick....but chose to go back to USC...it went well, but he still dropped to 10 in the draft.

if a guy is projected to go top 3...he is a damned fool to stay in college. sure he is making a couple mil... but the rookie slot is more...and if he actually plays well...in three years he is going to get a 300 million extension that includes a one time check for about 80 million.

but yeah...go back to college, keep making your 2mil...and get your throwing shoulder crushed in a meaningless non conference game by some dude who is trying to get noticed by scouts. smart decision.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Matt Leinart was a #1 pick....but chose to go back to USC...it went well, but he still dropped to 10 in the draft.

if a guy is projected to go top 3...he is a damned fool to stay in college. sure he is making a couple mil... but the rookie slot is more...and if he actually plays well...in three years he is going to get a 300 million extension that includes a one time check for about 80 million.

but yeah...go back to college, keep making your 2mil...and get your throwing shoulder crushed in a meaningless non conference game by some dude who is trying to get noticed by scouts. smart decision.

That was the first red flag with Leinart as a prospect. He was never the grinder that great NFL QB’s are.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So basically he is afraid he can't elevate a team with his talent.
Good luck finding dudes with that mentality anymore.

No surprise that a guy who’s been coddled all his college career and making more than Clayton Tune on an NIL deal is trying to have his cake and eat it too. For Caleb, it’s dumb for the simple fact that unless he struggles in his senior year, he’s gonna be the #1 pick again and doesn’t have the luxury of going back to school.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Caleb Williams is a narcissist, his parents are both narcissists and he will be a total bust in the NFL. He can write this on his stupid little fingernails.

Aside from this, I see zero chance Monti has any interest in drafting someone whose dad thinks he’s Rich Paul.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have to say he did better than I expected. As a Cardinals fan you've certainly endured worse than Kliff.

Over the last 50 years the Cardinals have had 13 headcoaches (only counting those that coached a full season). Kliff's win percentage puts him as the Cardinals 5th best coach in that time frame.

Bruce Arians .619
Don Coryell .609
Ken Wisenhunt .469
Jim Hanifan .443
Kliff Kingsbury .432

Not bad for a college loser in one of the toughest jobs to win at in the NFL. Especially considering how hard Keim whiffed in the draft during the Kliff era (and a for a couple years before 17 and 18 were horrendous drafts). Keim let a red hot Reddick walk and then paid a similar amount Reddick took from the Panthers for a washed AJ Green.

Kliff certainly has major flaws as a headcoach and needed to be let go, but he gave a good effort before melting down in year 4. I am excited to see what Gannon's staff has to offer.
Seeing numbers like these puts a chill down my spine. Coryell in the 1970s, Arians doing his thing 35 years later…these might likely be the result of blind luck and nothing more. In other words, we get lucky with our coaching hires every generation or so. If this is indeed the case, buckle up! It’s gonna be a long while!

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Basically, if AZ ends up with the top 2 picks...say they draft MHJ at #1, just to piss off Williams....Who would they trade #2 to, that would be just as bad of a situation as Williams thinks AZ is?
Drake Maye @ #2!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could play another year and a worse team could draft him. Also the team picking number one might trade him for a boatload of picks. If Kyler comes back and plays well the cards aren't going to use their top picks for a QB. This is just dumb talk maybe i'ts just his father not him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He could play another year and a worse team could draft him. Also the team picking number one might trade him for a boatload of picks. If Kyler comes back and plays well the cards aren't going to use their top picks for a QB. This is just dumb talk maybe i'ts just his father not him.

That’s why ppl claiming he’s got leverage aren’t really seeing the big picture. He’d be passing up millions of guaranteed money (NIL isn’t coming close to #1 pick money) not to mention there’s always a risk of injury. Let’s say Anthony Richardson, CJ Shroud or Justin Fields flame out and those teams get the #1 pick next year. Similar situation when those franchises become the media whipping boys.

The draft order will be known far before the declaration date so there’s plenty of time to work out trades if need be. In a strong QB class I’m not to worried about it. It’s very similar to 2004.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing numbers like these puts a chill down my spine. Coryell in the 1970s, Arians doing his thing 35 years later…these might likely be the result of blind luck and nothing more. In other words, we get lucky with our coaching hires every generation or so. If this is indeed the case, buckle up! It’s gonna be a long while!
All true, but there's a certain amount of blind luck in any successful coaching hire. The key is to find sustainable success, and that's where the Cardinals have failed miserably as a franchise. In all the years I've followed them, I don't believe they have ever made back to back good coaching hires. They went from Charlie Winner to Bob Holway, who was awful. They went from Coryell to Wilkinson, which was awful. They went from Arians to Wilks, yikes. Perhaps the best back to back hires was going from Whisenhunt to Arians. What's different in going from KK to JG is the hiring of MO. No guarantee that MO will create sustainable success, but he does have a plan of sustainable success that no previous GM has ever had in this cursed franchise. Not sure who Michael was influenced by to finally go outside for a GM hire, but it was LONG, LONG overdue. My fear is that if MO isn't the guy, then Michael will go back to the internal GM promotions that for certain have always been a disaster with this franchise.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So basically he is afraid he can't elevate a team with his talent.
Its likely an angle to the Rams.

However, I think the reality is young guys look at Mahomes and Jalen Hurts and see how situation plays a great factor in how guys careers go.

Trevor Lawrence and Tua looked awful until changes were made at HC and overall philosophy.

Caleb or whoever should give Monti/Gannon/Petzing a chance. However, there in terms of the upcoming QB scene there probably are guys who think despite Kyler's flaws he is or was in a screwed-up situation (Keim/Bidwill)

Joe Burrow's are rare. And even the Bengals figured out to draft him 2 top flight wrs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard