Bye Bye Budda

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I would trade Ertz as well but your not going to get much for him. Dude has the least YAC I can ever remember from a player.

Ertz has a 1.6 YAC/reception. He is basically falling down sideways.

1.6 yards is 4.8 feet and Ertz is 6-5.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ertz has a 1.6 YAC/reception. He is basically falling down sideways.

1.6 yards is 4.8 feet and Ertz is 6-5.

You must be registered for see images attach

To be fair to Ertz practically all his routes are stop routes where he turns back to the QB. He gets very little in stride.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am probably not extending Budda. Trading him is totally dependent on the return. The question is where are we going to spend our money? No point in cutting Budda just to continue to hoard cap space. There isn;t going to be some magical change in our free agent appeal so probably a good idea to hold onto the few good players we have outside of an extension, or at least one that is for more than two years,

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its weird, I didn't really notice Budda's presence on the field, but the defense only gave up 20; a lot less than expected. It is kinda hard to tell a safety's impact as a tv viewer.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am probably not extending Budda. Trading him is totally dependent on the return. The question is where are we going to spend our money? No point in cutting Budda just to continue to hoard cap space. There isn;t going to be some magical change in our free agent appeal so probably a good idea to hold onto the few good players we have outside of an extension, or at least one that is for more than two years,
read an article today that compared trading Baker to the big safety trade seattle made... something like, a starting safety, 2 firsts, and a 2nd or some crazy poo. ...of course, that guy was the best in the game apparently.... but Baker has a solid rep and is on the right side of 30.... if someone called and offered a 1 and a 2, I would weep as I told Baker how much I didnt want to trade him while we pack his poo.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The idea is we move on from a good but very expensive player at a low value position and use the money to bring in a good but expensive player at a high value position.

Would you not swap Budda for Brian Burns for example? Moving Budda would pay for 60-70% of Burns.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should have done the Kevin Byard trade to the Eagles.

They got a 5th and 6th plus a player (Terrell Edmunds). Byard is 30 but probably a better player TBH. Value about the same I would say.

Maybe could have made that a straight up 4th, or a 5th and 6th plus Grant Calcaterra or Kentavius Street.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just seems to me that so far this defense is less about safeties up at the LOS or in the box and that's what Budda does best. So aside from him having just come back from injury, I suspect he's going to be less valuable in our system anyways because it's asking him to stay back in coverage more.

Thompson seemed to have adjusted before he got hurt but Budda didn't really have a chance to adjust before getting hurt.

If this is the defense yes it probably makes sense to move on from him

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It just seems to me that so far this defense is less about safeties up at the LOS or in the box and that's what Budda does best. So aside from him having just come back from injury, I suspect he's going to be less valuable in our system anyways because it's asking him to stay back in coverage more.

Thompson seemed to have adjusted before he got hurt but Budda didn't really have a chance to adjust before getting hurt.

If this is the defense yes it probably makes sense to move on from him

And if you want a coverage safety Budda wouldn't be high on your list. He's average in coverage, his strength is being in the box, diagnosing the play and tackling.

He's a great box safety and we've barely used him that way for at least 2 years.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wouldn’t someone have to take on his salary with the trade? It seems like it could turn into a Dhop situation where we have a hard time finding someone to take on his salary plus give up a high draft pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We should have done the Kevin Byard trade to the Eagles.

They got a 5th and 6th plus a player (Terrell Edmunds). Byard is 30 but probably a better player TBH. Value about the same I would say.

Maybe could have made that a straight up 4th, or a 5th and 6th plus Grant Calcaterra or Kentavius Street.
I see no reason to trade Budda Baker for a 5th and a 6th round pick. I would rather just hold onto him, and roll the comp pick dice in 2025.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wouldn’t someone have to take on his salary with the trade? It seems like it could turn into a Dhop situation where we have a hard time finding someone to take on his salary plus give up a high draft pick.
He has a bunch of non-Guaranteed money in his deal in 2024. A team could convert all of that into a guarantee in a three-year extension at a more palatable per-year salary.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will be shocked if BB is traded. One of the first things Monti said when he got the job was he wanted a team full of Budda Bakers.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will be shocked if BB is traded. One of the first things Monti said when he got the job was he wanted a team full of Budda Bakers.

It was just a way to be nice with a veteran who is fully appreciated by the fanbase, cause of his effort and aggressive style of play
Monti is a rookie GM so...