Buyout Candidates

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These are all looking like possibilities for a buyout.

Wall, Westbrook, Ibaka, Mason Plumlee, Derrick Rose, Basemore, Avery Bradley, and more.

If you are looking to fill out depth, there are a lot of interesting names there. Rose, Wall, and even Westbrook look really interesting.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bleak…. Remember when the Cavs signed Deron Williams and everyone freaked out. There’s a reason these guys are available for nothing.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Can see Kevin Love being bought out (finally)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bleak…. Remember when the Cavs signed Deron Williams and everyone freaked out. There’s a reason these guys are available for nothing.

Yeah, hard to see any of those guys helping, and several would likely hurt.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mason Plume would be a good injury guarantee for bigs. Not expecting him to add much. He can still ball for a big guy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am just going by that Love is supposed to be kept by his team now, but if bought out, he can be an extra three shooter/rebounder in situational play.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Following the February 9 trade deadline, the next big date to watch is March 1. Players waived after March 1 are not eligible to play in that season’s playoffs. Effectively, that’s the last day for playoff teams to add anyone who is on another team’s roster after the trade deadline.

The way this happens is that the player is waived by his current team. Upon clearing waivers, which the vast majority of players do, they become a free agent. In many of these cases, players and their former team will come to an agreement to buy out the remainder of their contract. This means the player gives back some portion of their guaranteed salary in order to become a free agent.

Sometimes these buyouts occur immediately on the heels of the trade deadline and the player clears waivers by the end of the weekend. For others, the buyout negotiations may run through the All-Star break and get completed before the end of the month. But in almost all cases, any significant buyouts will occur by March 1, to allow that player to remain playoff-eligible.

Here are some key players to keep an on eye on for the 2023 buyout market. In most cases, these are veterans on an expiring contract. Some may have some salary that goes into next season, and it’s very rare for a deal running more than two seasons to be bought out. In addition, most of these players are either out of their team’s rotation, or they are blocking minutes for a younger player to get into their team’s rotation. Or their teams are expected to make other changes before the deadline, which will push them even further to the backend of the roster.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's happening. James make the call!!!!! 98.7 says the Suns are interested!!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jackson would be a great get, Love would be solid, the rest of those guys... I think I wouldn't take most for free.

Zero interest in Westbrook, he still has his a fair amount of his athleticism but it's like he has NBA dementia. I've never seen a player with as many idiotic plays and lapses as he's had the last couple years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson would be a great get, Love would be solid, the rest of those guys... I think I wouldn't take most for free.

Zero interest in Westbrook, he still has his a fair amount of his athleticism but it's like he has NBA dementia. I've never seen a player with as many idiotic plays and lapses as he's had the last couple years.
Jackson’s the prize here… well, as much as any of these guys could be considered a prize.

Every single show is talking about us being the biggest buyout and FA destination with Book and KD. Even when we were running the league the last two regular season, no one talked about us that way.

This is the way the franchise used to be thought of with Colangelo. It’s good to be back in that position.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a wing... but those never really seem to be on the buyout market, teams love em.

With Durant still out we're looking at TJ Warren and Okogie needing to play like 30+ minutes a night.

Yikes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need a wing... but those never really seem to be on the buyout market, teams love em.

With Durant still out we're looking at TJ Warren and Okogie needing to play like 30+ minutes a night.

Yikes.
I wonder if we play a lot smaller and Lee gets a lot of time at the 3 to spread the floor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose