Buying a New laptop

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a laptop, and was hoping to get some insight here.

From time to time, it looks like I can get a Macbook Air 13 in for around $750. I use my computer for work, almost all day. Mac owners - is it worth paying extra for an apple product, when I can likely get other options for $600 or so?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you an all mac guy or do you like pc too?

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I have an iphone and like it, but have never owned an apple laptop. Open to both.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro (my first Mac), use primarily for ASFN and school work for an online university. I love the quick boot time and have gotten used to the different quirks about it. I am not a gamer or programmer so I can't speak to those functions.

I use Word, Excel, Adobe, stream some videos (school related, and youtube) and it performs very well.

I did wish it had a dvd drive and an easier way to connect hardline ethernet (if that's correct term) rather than just wifi but since I can tether to my phone, it hasn't been an issue. Haven't needed the DVD drive either.

Don't know if I can answer if it's worth it to spend more on a Mac, a lot of people would tell you I'm crazy for spending more on a Mac. The thing for me is, I don't need to do all the wacky stuff some people claim you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac; I don't even understand what that nonsense is lol :D I just needed a reliable machine, loved the fact that it boots up in seconds and since I had an iPhone and AppleTV, it made sense for me to look into purchasing one. Friends that have Macs love them so after trying it out, I took the plunge.

Edit: My wife and I also think doing anything with iTunes is very user friendly and my wife takes a lot of pictures, that was a factor as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
what kind of work are you going to use it for?

Nothing requiring much in terms of large bandwidth or great graphics.

In fact, AZ Mike's use is pretty much what I'd expect to use. Decent screen, relatively big, something that will be current for awhile, nothing too fancy needed.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro (my first Mac), use primarily for ASFN and school work for an online university. I love the quick boot time and have gotten used to the different quirks about it. I am not a gamer or programmer so I can't speak to those functions.

I use Word, Excel, Adobe, stream some videos (school related, and youtube) and it performs very well.

I did wish it had a dvd drive and an easier way to connect hardline ethernet (if that's correct term) rather than just wifi but since I can tether to my phone, it hasn't been an issue. Haven't needed the DVD drive either.

Don't know if I can answer if it's worth it to spend more on a Mac, a lot of people would tell you I'm crazy for spending more on a Mac. The thing for me is, I don't need to do all the wacky stuff some people claim you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac; I don't even understand what that nonsense is lol :D I just needed a reliable machine, loved the fact that it boots up in seconds and since I had an iPhone and AppleTV, it made sense for me to look into purchasing one. Friends that have Macs love them so after trying it out, I took the plunge.

Edit: My wife and I also think doing anything with iTunes is very user friendly and my wife takes a lot of pictures, that was a factor as well.

Based on reviews too, it looks like the Apple stuff consistently performs the best as well. For the money, I'm not sure I'll do better.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I have a MacBook pro retina for personal use and a MacBook air for work.

Go Apple

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave