Bucks @ Suns Tuesday Finals game thread 7-6-2021 - Game 1

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he said he was rooting for the Suns. He predicted Bucks will win, but he will be pulling for the Suns.

I haven't seen a lot of rooting from Charles for the Suns other than a video clip.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a whole new setting for the 36-year-old Paul, who acknowledged one of the differences. Home teams usually practice at their training facility, but the workout on the eve of the NBA Finals is in the arena.
“It’s still basketball,” the point guard said. “I think we’re all locked in to the goal at hand.”

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he said he was rooting for the Suns. He predicted Bucks will win, but he will be pulling for the Suns.

He's called them "my Suns" over and again and he claims to be a Suns fan but he's also picked us to lose every round and he's gone through at least 3 or 4 different "will win it all" picks and it's never us. Not that it's a problem, he has a right to his opinion but his "love for the Suns" doesn't ring true to me.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chuck is being chuck. I get where he is coming from.

if my friend was boxing Mayweather I would say yea Mayweather is going to win but I will be pulling for my friend.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's called them "my Suns" over and again and he claims to be a Suns fan but he's also picked us to lose every round and he's gone through at least 3 or 4 different "will win it all" picks and it's never us. Not that it's a problem, he has a right to his opinion but his "love for the Suns" doesn't ring true to me.
Or he's doing it as an inner reverse jinx kinda thing since his picks are so bad...he simply doesn't want to jinx us. Hey, whatever, It's worked out so far. Keep it up Chuck! :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or he's doing it as an inner reverse jinx kinda thing since his picks are so bad...he simply doesn't want to jinx us. Hey, whatever, It's worked out so far. Keep it up Chuck! :)
No, my comment is based on his comments over the past 20 plus years. He always claims to be an ardent Suns fan but some of the things he's said through the years make it clear that he follows the Suns about as closely as my cats do.

As for the reverse jinx. I don't believe in such silly things but if I did I would point out that it's common knowledge that you negate an inner reverse jinx by identifying it as such. So, way to go, we're jinxed again.

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Suns win this one in 6. Won't be easy by any means. I really hope the team wasn't too focused only on getting CP3 to the finals and forgot the job isn't done yet.

The Clippers exposed a few things the Bucks can use against them. Booker can be rattled by a physical defender. This is something he needs to learn to control if he's going to take the next step and be great. The box out rebounding against Ayton. They used one guy to box him out and the other guy rebounded. The zone defense for some reason really confused the suns. This can be fixed by coaching, but you hope they adapt quickly.

Still think the entire Suns roster is more talented, but Bucks won't go down easy.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see it as more as an anti-jinx prediction. Every time he picks, they loose.

nevermind someone else already said it….

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Barkley is a fan but he's not a die hard fan or a homer. He roots for us but that doesn't mean he believes we'll win. How many fans here didn't think we would be the Lakers or the Clippers? They may not have been as open admitting that but I'm sure there were some. That doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

We've been awful for a long time and I know it sucked starting each year knowing we'd end up counting pingpong bàlls by seasons end but that doesn't mean we weren't fans because we knew we'd lose more often than not.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s not Chuck’s job to be a cheerleader. If someone here picked the Bucks we wouldn’t be calling them a hater (or maybe we around idk).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Barkley is a fan but he's not a die hard fan or a homer. He roots for us but that doesn't mean he believes we'll win. How many fans here didn't think we would be the Lakers or the Clippers? They may not have been as open admitting that but I'm sure there were some. That doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

We've been awful for a long time and I know it sucked starting each year knowing we'd end up counting pingpong bàlls by seasons end but that doesn't mean we weren't fans because we knew we'd lose more often than not.
It's just speculation on my part but I think he'll always be a Philadelphia fan first and a Suns fan a distant second. His feud with JC ended years ago but I don't know that he ever forgave the franchise.

I suspect he's conflicted too given that he's still held in high regard by local fans but a championship would probably re-start the conversation about him failing to win it all here. But more than anything, I doubt he's much of a Suns fan because he's shown even greater levels of ignorance about the team and players than he does about the NBA in general.

And with you mentioning the Lakers and Clippers I just want to make the point that most of us were worried about the healthy Lakers team that was never seen again since early in the season.

Personally, by the time we started our first game I never had any doubts we'd win against the Lakers or the Clippers. At least not until I saw how the refs were allowing LAC to play against us. Then I had flashbacks of Derek Fisher getting rewarded for the same kind of blind refereeing that was supposed to be cleaned up in the modern postseason.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not Chuck’s job to be a cheerleader. If someone here picked the Bucks we wouldn’t be calling them a hater (or maybe we around idk).

You're right it isn't but I'm curious, did you just skim the thread? I don't care who he cheers for. My point (and I'm not alone on this) is that he claims to be a Suns fan but all evidence through the years points to the contrary. Not a big deal but his ignorance about the team shows up regularly and it shines brighter than his overall NBA ignorance.

I don't really think it's a big deal though. I don't watch that show to hear his expertise, I'm there because I find the show entertaining. And that's all because of Chuck.

Anyway, I've known a lot of locals that considered themselves to be huge fans of the Suns that have never watched a game on TV and couldn't name more than a couple players on the team. But on a site like this, when we talk fandom we usually mean someone that does more than just live within driving distance of the arena.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
. I don't believe in such silly things but if I did I would point out that it's common knowledge that you negate an inner reverse jinx by identifying it as such. So, way to go, we're jinxed again.
For someone who doesn't believe in such silly things... You sure have that one figured out quite well. Like I said though, it's his inner reverse jinx. Not mine. Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky bobby! ;)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams in an ESPN article discussing the Bucks consistent effort to attack the paint

Dave McMenamin ESPN Staff Writer:

"The pressure they put on the paint has been pretty consistent, even with Giannis [out], but you see a different way of doing it now with Jrue [Holiday] attacking and [Brook] Lopez diving," Suns coach Monty Williams said. "That's been something that we have to respect. You have to respect them anyway with Giannis getting into the paint -- in transition, in isolation, when he dives in the pick-and-roll, especially with [Khris] Middleton. So, without Giannis, there seems to be a different way of attacking the paint. And then all of their guys that crash the boards.

"So, they haven't stopped playing the way they want to play. The pressure on the paint has been pretty consistent in the playoffs."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also in the above article Chris Paul discusses the critics of shortened season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson