Bucks @ Suns Thursday Finals game thread 7-8-2021 - Game 2

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People can **** Kaminski all they want, and not without reason. But I think people are also forgetting that Tank started our first game against Milwaukee which we won, playing 35 minutes and putting up a ridiculous (likely never to be seen again) 14/8/8.

I just don’t see it being a forgone conclusion that it’s a disaster if Tank gets in the game.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson
·
52s

Jrue Holiday mentioned switching things up against Chris Paul and Devin Booker more in the future. A "steady diet" is what he described it as, and emphasized doing it from the jump.

Sounds like the right approach, but that's the beauty of having two creators, a bunch of shooters, and a big that can score... defense always has to give up something.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like the right approach, but that's the beauty of having two creators, a bunch of shooters, and a big that can score... defense always has to give up something.

I was thinking similar, in a way. That's a great plan for him but thankfully there is only one Jrue Holiday, he can't stop 2 guys.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was thinking similar, in a way. That's a great plan for him but thankfully there is only one Jrue Holiday, he can't stop 2 guys.

Well, they do have a bunch of good defenders, but they still have to make sure they don't switch Lopez on screens. If they go over screens, both Book and CP3 can drive and either shoot mid-range jumpers if Lopez gives it to them, or they can lob to Ayton if Lopez comes out. If they go under screens, then you give up open threes. Both Paul and Booker are competent enough as shooters to punish that. If they help on screens from other defenders, then someone is going to be open for a three. I think what Holiday is saying to just do a different strategy every time, but I don't see how that works if the Suns are hitting their shots at their average rate. Either way, the biggest thing for them is to not switch Lopez (or Portis) on Booker and/or CP3 on screens. They got cooked on that play at least seven times last night (probably more, but I counted seven.)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, they do have a bunch of good defenders, but they still have to make sure they don't switch Lopez on screens. If they go over screens, both Book and CP3 can drive and either shoot mid-range jumpers if Lopez gives it to them, or they can lob to Ayton if Lopez comes out. If they go under screens, then you give up open threes. Both Paul and Booker are competent enough as shooters to punish that. If they help on screens from other defenders, then someone is going to be open for a three. I think what Holiday is saying to just do a different strategy every time, but I don't see how that works if the Suns are hitting their shots at their average rate. Either way, the biggest thing for them is to not switch Lopez (or Portis) on Booker and/or CP3 on screens. They got cooked on that play at least seven times last night (probably more, but I counted seven.)
I noticed they took advantage of Connaughton when he was on the floor this way, too!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kellan Olson

@KellanOlson

·
2m

Giannis Antetokounmpo said the Bucks' switching 1-5 makes it hard to judge when he can impact the game as a help defender. It's a more challenging read for that moment when the defense breaks down and he can come over. Also mentioned how many smart playmakers the Suns have.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson
·
2m

Giannis Antetokounmpo said the Bucks' switching 1-5 makes it hard to judge when he can impact the game as a help defender. It's a more challenging read for that moment when the defense breaks down and he can come over. Also mentioned how many smart playmakers the Suns have.

The smart thing for them to do would be to play Giannis at the 5. Coach Bud stubbornly refuses to do that though, to his own peril.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The smart thing for them to do would be to play Giannis at the 5. Coach Bud stubbornly refuses to do that though, to his own peril.
I don’t know if it is the smart thing. If the bucks do that they’re playing to OUR strengths. If they stay big they’ll be at a disadvantage at the defensive end. But should be able to pound us inside. They’re just not smart enough (at least yet) to try to do so, and our undersized defenders are surprisingly good at defending larger players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think he's correct but only because there will be plenty of 4 quarter garbage time where we're up by 20+.

The Bucks are too good of a team and too much of a match-up problem for us for that to be a realistic expectation. I actually expect last night's game to be the largest margin of victory for either team in this series.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is especially true if Saric is out. They go right at Ayton and try to get him in foul trouble. Then you are looking at Kaminsky and Crowder inside.

The Bucks have been about scoring in the paint all season. With Saric out we can only expect more of it.

Suns will need to play Kaminsky in stretches but I expect to see a lot of small ball center from Craig and Nader. Maybe even Cam Johnson gets some minutes there.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Crowley will pick up the slack in scoring.... hahaha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard