Brief Thoughts on the Coaching Staff

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Overall this looks like a solid staff. Grimm may not be the best offensive line coach on the planet, but he’s decent and will get the job done. I can’t fault Pitt for not taking him, but I’m glad they didn’t. He was my top choice for the Cards’ job and it says quite a bit about Whisenhunt that he isn’t afraid to put someone on his staff who could one day take his job (see Denny Green for opposite tactics). Having a core of coaches who have worked together before will make for an easier transition. Grimm will help with the discipline and I see that as critical. I feel like the Cards found a way to have their cake and eat it too. Haley is probably the biggest gamble, but Whisenhunt will have most of his influence on that position and if he doesn’t get eaten up by all the HC responsibilities the Cards should do fine. Holding on to Pendergast was a smart move and should mean more continuity on defense. That’s a hard thing to find when you make a coaching change. This is a playoff defense with only a little help.

My only regret is that they didn’t/couldn’t keep Kruczek. I thought he worked great with Leinart, but once Green promoted him that really compromised his ability to stay unless he was made the OC. I was surprised he didn’t get the Jax job, but I’m sure he will land somewhere and succeed.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of this morning ...

Coaches
Ken WhisenhuntHead Coach
Russ GrimmAssistant Head Coach/Offensive Line
Clancy PendergastDefensive Coordinator
Todd HaleyOffensive Coordinator
Teryl AustinDefensive Backs
Kevin SpencerSpecial Teams
Billy DavisLinebackers
John LottStrength and Conditioning
Keith VulgamottAssistant Strength and Conditioning
Rick CourtrightDefensive Quality Control
Barbara GillAdministrative Assistant
Cindy KrawczykAssistant to Coach Whisenhunt

Looks like we can add Maurice Carthon to the staff according to AZcentral.com ...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0128cards0128.html

Now we need to get a good DL, QB and TE coach and we will have one heck of a staff ...

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that we have hired Haley and Carthon its good IMO to have these coached in here that are from the Parcells tree .. add in our 2 top guys that are from the Cowher tree, 1 ex-DC from the 49ers and we have a lot of knowledge and viewpoints to work with .. now its up to Whiz to put this all together and make it work ...

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Since when does a coaching staff get 2 (not 1), but 2 admin assitants? I've never seen that before.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
Well since Denny's playbook only had 5 pages it only took one admin assitant to make copies for all the players. Now they need at least two....:D

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
[

My only regret is that they didn’t/couldn’t keep Kruczek. I thought he worked great with Leinart, but once Green promoted him that really compromised his ability to stay unless he was made the OC. I was surprised he didn’t get the Jax job, but I’m sure he will land somewhere and succeed.[/quote]

i'm on board!! agree about qb/oc guy...there may be more to the story than we know or will ever find out.....so far the choices are outstandinig...i know that parcells had/has a great opinion of carthon...did not want to lose him BUT it was a big promo...i guess murphy's law at work....that is not a bad thing...everyone is not cut out to be OC's or HC's but are great teachers and position coaches....a few good f/a signings, a good draft are the variables...unless all the guys we hired just took stupid pills i have no concern about their ability to teach, plan and lead.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
[

My only regret is that they didn’t/couldn’t keep Kruczek. I thought he worked great with Leinart, but once Green promoted him that really compromised his ability to stay unless he was made the OC. I was surprised he didn’t get the Jax job, but I’m sure he will land somewhere and succeed.

it may just be made up media stories but i heard that leinart was not a big fan of kruczek