Brian Flores, new DC of the Vikings

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
This is what happens when you conduct a ridiculously slow coaching search. I don’t blame Flores. If Flores didn’t take the Minn DC job, and didnt get the Cards HC job then all the DC gigs would probably be all filled up.

OP
OP
C

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
Kevin O'Connell is bringing in an experienced assistant to take over his defense, as the Minnesota Vikings have hired Brian Flores as their new defensive coordinator, the team announced Monday. Flores spent the 2022 campaign as the linebackers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and was a popular candidate this coaching cycle.

Flores interviewed for the Arizona Cardinals' head coaching job and received interest from the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos to take over as a defensive coordinator. Ultimately, Flores lands in Minnesota, which had the second-worst defense last season in terms of total yards allowed per game (388.7).

Flores established himself as a top defensive assistant in 11 years with the New England Patriots. Prior to working under Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh this past season, Flores served as the head coach of the Miami Dolphins for three seasons before being fired last year after going 24-25. It was a dramatic fallout, as Flores actually sued the NFL along with the Dolphins, Broncos and New York Giants, alleging racial discrimination.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thought, maybe the Cardinals have already selected their head coach.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is what happens when you conduct a ridiculously slow coaching search. I don’t blame Flores. If Flores didn’t take the Minn DC job, and didnt get the Cards HC job then all the DC gigs would probably be all filled up.

Flores had 4 D-C job interviews, and three teams passed on him, so, yes, his new employment opportunities were down to one.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Flores had 4 D-C job interviews, and three teams passed on him, so, yes, his new employment opportunities were down to one.

The question is: Did three teams pass on him because they didn’t want to wait around until the Cards made up their minds?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The question is: Did three teams pass on him because they didn’t want to wait around until the Cards made up their minds?
You're telling me the three other teams waited to offer him the job? That would have been stupid on their part. I highly doubt anything like that occurred.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't get why you wouldn't hire the most qualified person. Everyone one of the candiates brought in has some baggage including SP. The difference was that SP was a proven commodity then it was Flores. Maybe Flores has a point with his lawsuit.

Now I guess we will rely on an unproven commodity and hope for the best!

JerkFace

Reaction score
You're telling me the three other teams waited to offer him the job? That would have been stupid on their part. I highly doubt anything like that occurred.

No, I’m saying the three other teams didn’t want to wait around to see if he got the Cards job so they moved on. There is no way Flores would have accepted a DC job early in the process when he was seen as a favorite for the Cards job.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just call Lou Anarumo and give him the HC job and the solution started.
n
My guess is they know who they are going to interview from the Iggles or the Chiefs as they approached them but cannot interview them until the game is over. They may not have a candidate who wants to interview.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess is they know who they are going to interview from the Iggles or the Chiefs as they approached them but cannot interview them until the game is over. They may not have a candidate who wants to interview.

It seems to me that the only candidate coming out of the SB that could prove of interest is OC Shane Steichen and he may already have the INDY job in his back pocket.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
No, I’m saying the three other teams didn’t want to wait around to see if he got the Cards job so they moved on. There is no way Flores would have accepted a DC job early in the process when he was seen as a favorite for the Cards job.
Earlier today I saw where Broncos still wanted to meet with him.

It's more likely the Vikings have him a hard deadline.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting. He probably felt that the Cards weren't really going to give him the job as they took so long for the 2nd interview.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vikings have officially announced the arrival of Flores.

The gestures from both Pittsburgh and Minnesota cut against the natural inclination, wrong as it would be, to shun someone who dared to challenge Big Shield. And Flores remained in the mix to be the next head coach of the Cardinals; either he knew he wasn’t getting the job or he decided he didn’t want it.

Or maybe he decided to take the bird in the hand in Minnesota, in lieu of waiting to see whether the Cardinals would hire him. This way, he takes the next step toward becoming a head coach again.