Brees 5 years / 100 mil - 60m Guar.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm sorry that wasn't the Cards paying Brees that dough!!! I would have easily given him $125 mil & $25 mil/year.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I am reading, Brees will take home $40M next year. Crazy.

They could have done this contract to be more team-friendly without all the drama. Saints are idiots.

Sucks that the QB bar keeps going up and up.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
He is worth every penny... Why all the BS?

Last edited:

Buckybird

Reaction score
Sucks that the QB bar keeps going up and up.
Thats the price of winning!!!

I bet the Bidwills would proudly shell out more than $40 mil, which will ultimately be $60 mil guaranteed to hoist the Lombardi Trophy...I wouldn't complain 1 second!!!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brees is overrated. Not compared to other QBs in the league, hes obviously up there in the top 3, but compared to his own hype. Id take Tom Brady 9 times out of 10. Hes a little guy and a couple key guys in his Oline departed. I like him, but I want to see if he can survive that entire 5 years. Doubt it. Id say he has 2 years left in him before some career ending shouler injury strikes.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Brees is overrated. Not compared to other QBs in the league, hes obviously up there in the top 3, but compared to his own hype. Id take Tom Brady 9 times out of 10. Hes a little guy and a couple key guys in his Oline departed. I like him, but I want to see if he can survive that entire 5 years. Doubt it. Id say he has 2 years left in him before some career ending shouler injury strikes.

Explain.

Im not buying that you can be the best or in the top 3 at your position & be overhyped when you're a QB. I'm thinking Brees has been nearly as good or better than Brady since his arrival in New Orleans. Tough choice between the 2 but, IMO you're selling Brees way short!!!

Buckybird

Reaction score

Btw...since joining the Saints, Brees has passed for more yards, completions, TDs & completion % than anybody in the NFL. Not bad for an overrated player :D

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brees isn't over-rated; in 10 years (including his years with the Chargers obviously) he's averaged a 94.0 QB rating, and a 66% completion percentage. We get either of our QB's completing 66% and we're winning playoff games. After he joined the Saints he obviously exploded way beyond that. Last year his completion percentage was 71-freaking-percent!! Forget his 342 yards per game, forget his 5476 yards passing, you can even forget 46 TDS (!!)...71% completion percentage wins games. 71%. Imagine either of our dudes completing 7 out of every 10 passes. LOL. That includes drops and throwaways! That's epic QB play.

Brees never has a bad game really. They may lose, but it's not because of him. He's completing 7 out of every 10 and tossing almost 3 TD's a game.

25 mil a year is nothing for that kind of production. Not in this league.

(I should add, Kurt Warner's best year statistically for us was 2008: 67% completion percentage, 30 TD's, 96.9 QB Rating. Pretty stellar; he seemed epic and was. Drew Brees has put up just as good if not better #'s over a career)

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explain.

Im not buying that you can be the best or in the top 3 at your position & be overhyped when you're a QB. I'm thinking Brees has been nearly as good or better than Brady since his arrival in New Orleans. Tough choice between the 2 but, IMO you're selling Brees way short!!!

This.

Brees overrated? C'mon, man.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I just love that my prediction in that draft way back has been proven correct time and again. The year they were drafted, I predicted that Brees, the 2nd-round pick, would be a better QB than Vick, drafted #1 overall. It's good to be right :D

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
glad to see they got it done....the whole sticking point was that the team wanted a short term deal...2-3 years, while Brees wanted a long term deal.......necessary for him...he will be the one taking the brunt of the bounty gate backlash this season

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brees is overrated compared to his own hype, which is enormous. In general, hes not, hes one of the best QBs in the league. But when people start making lists of the best QBs of the last 10 years or so, they argue where to put Brees. Above Brady but Below Peyton? Ahead of Aaron and Eli. etc. I think thats very telling. Brees isnt close to Tom Brady or prime Peyton Manning (dudes over the hill). Soon, Aaron will surpass him (and possibly all others too) as the better QB. Brees can sling it better than anyone, nobodies arguing that. If this were a cannon arm contest, hed win every time. But theres more that goes into it that makes a great QB. Look at Eli Manning. Regular season, hes not that good. In the playoffs, in the superbowl, he is extremely clutch. Peyton has put together a decade of greatness with very little supporting talent. Same with Brady. The Patriots have always been made up of loose ends players. Their best offensive weapon is a short, white, slot receiver who puts up monster numbers because Tom puts the ball where only he can get it. Despite chucking the ball nearly 5,000 yards every year, and usually having a pretty good defense, how come Brees only has 1 ring? BEcause hes inconsistent. Hes very Favre like. When he does throw a pick, its at the worst possible time. Another example of his inconsistency: When he broke Marinos yards record - (it was a while ago so I dont remeber specifics) but I recall that he came within 15-25 yards somewhere near the end of the 1st quarter. It took him until the mid 3rd quarter to get the record. Inbetween, he stalled out on about 6 consecutive drives. Many of his throws are somewhat wide-open. He doesnt often thread the needle. Why do you think so many of his passes are deep (thus accounting for his record setting yards passing seasons), because usually deep passes are made to a guy with 1 defender, usually trailing. Defending the deep ball is very tough. The guy has many more holes in his game than people acknowledge. If you take Tom, Peyton, Aaron, and Brees and put them all in their prime at once, all things equal, Brees would be at the bottom. Thats not to say thats a bad thing. Hes still better than 90% of all other QBs in the past decade, but to say hes above any of those other guys is weak.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brees is overrated compared to his own hype, which is enormous. In general, hes not, hes one of the best QBs in the league. But when people start making lists of the best QBs of the last 10 years or so, they argue where to put Brees. Above Brady but Below Peyton? Ahead of Aaron and Eli. etc. I think thats very telling. Brees isnt close to Tom Brady or prime Peyton Manning (dudes over the hill). Soon, Aaron will surpass him (and possibly all others too) as the better QB. Brees can sling it better than anyone, nobodies arguing that. If this were a cannon arm contest, hed win every time. But theres more that goes into it that makes a great QB. Look at Eli Manning. Regular season, hes not that good. In the playoffs, in the superbowl, he is extremely clutch. Peyton has put together a decade of greatness with very little supporting talent. Same with Brady. The Patriots have always been made up of loose ends players. Their best offensive weapon is a short, white, slot receiver who puts up monster numbers because Tom puts the ball where only he can get it. Despite chucking the ball nearly 5,000 yards every year, and usually having a pretty good defense, how come Brees only has 1 ring? BEcause hes inconsistent. Hes very Favre like. When he does throw a pick, its at the worst possible time. Another example of his inconsistency: When he broke Marinos yards record - (it was a while ago so I dont remeber specifics) but I recall that he came within 15-25 yards somewhere near the end of the 1st quarter. It took him until the mid 3rd quarter to get the record. Inbetween, he stalled out on about 6 consecutive drives. Many of his throws are somewhat wide-open. He doesnt often thread the needle. Why do you think so many of his passes are deep (thus accounting for his record setting yards passing seasons), because usually deep passes are made to a guy with 1 defender, usually trailing. Defending the deep ball is very tough. The guy has many more holes in his game than people acknowledge. If you take Tom, Peyton, Aaron, and Brees and put them all in their prime at once, all things equal, Brees would be at the bottom. Thats not to say thats a bad thing. Hes still better than 90% of all other QBs in the past decade, but to say hes above any of those other guys is weak.

Totally disagree with this, especially the consistency comment. His career average completion percentage is 65.9 and that's over a 10 year span with both the Saints and Chargers. That's consistent man. In the last 8 years he's never had a completion percentage under 64% dude, and that spans two different teams. Last year and in 09 his completion percentage was 70%! Over his 10 year career he averages about 3 TD's per game, how is that inconsistent?

And regarding the deep ball, that's not true at all, at least not totally. With the Chargers and LT and now Sproles he has the ultimate outlet in the flats. They also use a ton of screens. They use a lot of RB screens but even WR screens. They break you down that way, sucking the defense in, making them creep up and look, and then go deep, that's what they are. It's a misnomer because of his averages per completion, but those screens with Sproles and Reggie Bush and LT (in San Diego) averaged a ton of yardage per pass. Also, throwing the deep ball isn't easier. Don't know where you got that from, but if you look at any statistic the probability of completing a deep ball compared to a short pass is ridiculous.

Only time Brees disappointed me is an example you stated, when he was going to break Marino's record. That was ridiculous and disrespectful in my opinion because if I recall they were already way up in that game and kept slinging it around. But it is what it is. If teams don't like it they gotta stop it.

I think Brees is one of the more elite QB's in the league. Yes, he only has 1 ring, that's true. Kurt Warner "only" has 1 ring. How many rings does Peyton Manning have? How many rings has Brady won since spygate?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Totally disagree with this, especially the consistency comment. His career average completion percentage is 65.9 and that's over a 10 year span with both the Saints and Chargers. That's consistent man. In the last 8 years he's never had a completion percentage under 64% dude, and that spans two different teams. Last year and in 09 his completion percentage was 70%! Over his 10 year career he averages about 3 TD's per game, how is that inconsistent?

And regarding the deep ball, that's not true at all, at least not totally. With the Chargers and LT and now Sproles he has the ultimate outlet in the flats. They also use a ton of screens. They use a lot of RB screens but even WR screens. They break you down that way, sucking the defense in, making them creep up and look, and then go deep, that's what they are. It's a misnomer because of his averages per completion, but those screens with Sproles and Reggie Bush and LT (in San Diego) averaged a ton of yardage per pass. Also, throwing the deep ball isn't easier. Don't know where you got that from, but if you look at any statistic the probability of completing a deep ball compared to a short pass is ridiculous.

Only time Brees disappointed me is an example you stated, when he was going to break Marino's record. That was ridiculous and disrespectful in my opinion because if I recall they were already way up in that game and kept slinging it around. But it is what it is. If teams don't like it they gotta stop it.

I think Brees is one of the more elite QB's in the league. Yes, he only has 1 ring, that's true. Kurt Warner "only" has 1 ring. How many rings does Peyton Manning have? How many rings has Brady won since spygate?

That sums it up very well. In the 6 years since Brees arrived NO has only had one losing season, won a SB, had 4 playoff appearances and 4 ten win seasons. In the 13 years before Brees they had one playoff appearance, two winning seasons and only one 10 win season. I don't know what more you could ask from a QB.

5 NFC Championship games in 8 seasons maybe? No that gets you run out of town. :D

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I posted the Saints numbers in another thread- pass to much he loses- balance he wins- Like most olines and QBs in the NFL - Everybody wants to be the exception!
Well your not deal with it!

I expected Brady's and PM's contracts to be more! Bree's is the highest paid after the dust settles? or is it ELI?

I thought Eli was top salary when he signed? guess not at least averaged!

link
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/quarterback/

You must be registered for see images attach
Drew BreesatQuarterback$20,000,0002
Peyton ManningatQuarterback$19,200,0003
Ben RoethilsbergeratQuarterback$17,000,0004
Michael VickatQuarterback$16,000,0005
Tom BradyatQuarterback$15,700,0006
Eli ManningatQuarterback$15,271,429

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Beerz 5 years 100 mill, 60M guaranteed this would be so much better :)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Sorry, I had a brain fart at the time on how to spell it, so I stopped typing as I was in a hurry and didn't want to look it up. I'll do better next time.

Not sure what your talking about. I just think my name looks better in the title.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins must be elated. Look at how much money they saved by signing Culpepper instead of Brees.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score

Holy crap. Can you put a few breaks in that enormous paragraph? Also, I have never seen a post littered with so many contradictions. Honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard