Boris Diaw Signs Extension

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
Great News. I havnt posted in a while....and I thought this was a fitting topic to get back in the groove.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Hawks fans.

Just those two words strung together makes me laugh.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Hawks fans.

Just those two words strung together makes me laugh.
You do realize this is primarily a Cardinals board, right? At least the Hawks have had some good teams over the years (though obviously none recently)...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wow, it's official now, yay! It won't surprise me if the total dollar figure turns out to be higher than first reported (as happened with the leaks of Nash's and Quentin Richardson's contracts, as well as Marion's extension). If it starts at $9 million, that will end up being pretty high (around $53/5 I think), but even so it's probably a good idea.

Next summer will be very interesting, since there's no way the Suns can afford to keep all of their assets. But they are in good shape for this year right now, so that's excellent news.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, it's official now, yay! It won't surprise me if the total dollar figure turns out to be higher than first reported (as happened with the leaks of Nash's and Quentin Richardson's contracts, as well as Marion's extension). If it starts at $9 million, that will end up being pretty high (around $53/5 I think), but even so it's probably a good idea.

Next summer will be very interesting, since there's no way the Suns can afford to keep all of their assets. But they are in good shape for this year right now, so that's excellent news.

Didn't they use the wording "maximum allowable" amount or something to that effect on the Suns site?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A championship brings revenue. Remember, with Sarver, its the bottom line. If it PAYS to go over the cap, he will.

But, there are options for next summer anyway. For instance (just as an example), we could trade Marion and our 3 picks for the #1 overall. (I would even consider Amare in that package--I don't like the sound of arthritis in the right knee. The first I heard about that was this week). It would save us a ton of money and we would pick up the best player to come out of the draft in years--a Tim Duncan/David Robinson type.

A young team with lots of needs might bite on that deal.

But that's next year. Please, all, don't jump on me for starting new "trade Marion" talk. I was just using it as an example.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're the favorites for the championship. We have Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire.

Our second tier of players, Raja Bell, Leandro Barbosa, Boris Diaw, and Kurt Thomas are as good as their first tier.

Aint it great to be cra-zy.

Yes, it's great to be crazy. However, I guess I'm also getting greedy as well.

I'm thinking how good Ike Diogu would look in a Suns uniform. He is going to waste at Golden State although Nelly may know how to use him. I never was high on Ike on draft day but as time goes by, I keep thinking how his game perfectly fits the Suns. He has a very consistent inside and outside game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As cheesebeef has said, no one is going to trade the #1 pick in this summer's draft. It just isn't going to happen, no matter how enticing the package looks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A championship brings revenue. Remember, with Sarver, its the bottom line. If it PAYS to go over the cap, he will.

But, there are options for next summer anyway. For instance (just as an example), we could trade Marion and our 3 picks for the #1 overall.

no one will make that deal. If Amare comes back pretty healthy and the team can't seem to figure him otu and he somehow is deemed a problem child then MAYBE Amare and the #1 will work, but teams just don't trade away the rights to the Duncans, Robinsons, Shaqs of the world.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As cheesebeef has said, no one is going to trade the #1 pick in this summer's draft. It just isn't going to happen, no matter how enticing the package looks.

whoa - Desmond. Is that you?

(I know, I know, I've said it before, but literally the moment I hit send I saw your message. Still, prety funny.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your probably right. But who says it has to be for the overall #1 pick. Maybe the second or third pick in the draft might be just as good. I don't think the package offered needs to be as attractive for something less than the #1 overall pick.

Actually, I'm thinking if the Suns have three picks in next season's draft they will get at least a couple of players they want. Now if the Suns just want to unload salary, a team under the CAP should gladly take a healthy Marion off our hands and give us some nice compensation to boot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How unreal would it be for Atlanta to get like the second or third pick in next year's draft and the Suns trade Marion to them for the pick.

I just wish I could find some crazy idea of trading Marion to Atlanta for JJ next season... and JJ had that front loaded contract.

Please don't take me serious about the JJ idea. I just enjoy irony. I like Marion as well. :)

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
“I thought about where I could be in a position as good as with the Phoenix Suns and the answer was nowhere,” Diaw said. “I just want to go out there and continue doing what I did last season – giving my teammates good looks and knowing they’ll be doing the same for me.”
Good stuff - he has a great attitude.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/diaw_extension_061020.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
This is really great news. Despite some good moves by the Suns for second-team players, this has not been a real positive season in Phoenix--Cards, ASU, Amare on and off. If Boris works on defense he can be an extraordinary player, almost a Magic Johnson playing front-court--and I still remember him subbing for Kareem his rookie year. I hope Sarver sold the $45 Mil figure by saying, "Take a reasonable salary and I'll pay some luxury tax to keep the core together for a while." Savor the moment, at any rate. And you're right, Mainstreet, Nash is worth his weight in gold--for those who appreciate team ball, there's no doubt who deserved the MVP.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is pretty close to what I have expected for months. $40 million was probably too low considering that Barbosa got $33; but $50 million was still pretty steep for a center who averages only .19 rpm. $45 million feels like a reasonable value and makes Boris tradeable if it becomes necessary (a sad but true aspect of every signing). What is more important, it takes away a potentially significant distraction.

Guys who are in "contract years" can be motivated to play better than otherwise, but they can also create problems if they don't get the minutes. With KT and Amare (and even the Jones boys) competing for inside minutes; it could be a problem if Boris felt D'Antoni was trying to diminish his value. I'm not sure how big a problem that could have been, but this eliminates it as a concern.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

iirc Nash's contract was actually lower than initially reported and Q's contract was the same(but the cap was lower than they thought which is why they had to adjust Nash's).

Anyway it's being reported that Diaw's contract is a flat 9mil per year with no raises, which is pretty odd.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's give BC some credit for insisting Diaw be include in the JJ sign and trade. Besides the difference in salary committment between the two (25 million???) the Suns got two first round draft picks and the TE created begat JR. Yes, BC made some mistakes, but he always rolled the dice to try to make the Phoenix Suns better... the same as his father. I honestly don't think the Suns would have made it to the WCF's last year with JJ instead of Diaw. I understand David Griffin was part of the decision making process as well, as mentioned in the Suns' news conference yesterday regarding the Diaw extension.

See comment from Paul Coro article, Arizona Republic, October 20th, 2004:

"Diaw, a supposed afterthought Bryan Colangelo insisted on in the Joe Johnson trade, has turned into an indispensable passing big man for Phoenix. Atlanta, Diaw's former team, could not find a role player in Diaw, yet Diaw joined Jason Kidd and LeBron James as the only players to average six rebounds and six assists last season."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/1020diaw1021.html

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Let's give BC some credit for insisting Diaw be include in the JJ sign and trade.

Sure, I guess. Though I don't think he really had to insist that hard, do you? He was considered by nearly everyone in the Hawks organization as a bust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard