Boris Diaw Signs Extension

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Wow, it's official now, yay! It won't surprise me if the total dollar figure turns out to be higher than first reported (as happened with the leaks of Nash's and Quentin Richardson's contracts, as well as Marion's extension). If it starts at $9 million, that will end up being pretty high (around $53/5 I think), but even so it's probably a good idea.

Here are a few more details from AZ Republic

That put Diaw in position for a unique contract. It pays him $9 million annually rather than including raises based on a 10.5 percent hike of the first year. The fifth season in the contract is a player option - more attractive because Diaw could seek a new deal after four years.

Link Here

The news gets better and better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How unreal would it be for Atlanta to get like the second or third pick in next year's draft and the Suns trade Marion to them for the pick.

I just wish I could find some crazy idea of trading Marion to Atlanta for JJ next season... and JJ had that front loaded contract.

Please don't take me serious about the JJ idea. I just enjoy irony. I like Marion as well. :)

The point is that we can move one of our higher priced players for a young stud at a lower salary. We have all the pieces to have tremendous flexibility.

Still, I really wouldn't want to trade Marion and that Atlanta pick for anything less than the #1. And its probably true that most teams that win the lottery this year will not want to trade that pick under ANY circumstances.

There are a number of other options. We're not the Knicks, we have quality players with tradeable contracts and a boatload of picks to throw in to get almost any deal done.

On top of all that, we're very deep.

Nash, Marion, Diaw, Bell, Thomas, Amare, Barbosa, Banks, Jr. Jones, Jum. Jones.

I'd say we are 10 deep. 10 players, any one of which DAntoni is going to have a hard time keeping off the floor.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
(Oct. 19, 2006)
But it's not Sarver I was wrong about; I've never been particularly down on him. It was the team's posture with respect to the luxury tax. This probably means that Kurt Thomas will be packaged with one or more draft picks next summer in order to shed salary.

(Oct. 20, 2006)
Next summer will be very interesting, since there's no way the Suns can afford to keep all of their assets. But they are in good shape for this year right now, so that's excellent news.

Heh.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
High insight is always 20/20. Had the Suns waited an additional year to lock up Boris, they could have signed him at a much discounted rate or even let him go for someone better. Now we are stuck for another four years. Bottom line: the new coach needs to figure out a way to get maximum performance out of him

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You'll get one, if it does.

But it's not Sarver I was wrong about; I've never been particularly down on him. It was the team's posture with respect to the luxury tax. This probably means that Kurt Thomas will be packaged with one or more draft picks next summer in order to shed salary.

respect

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
we gotta do this. but it should really be a later season game so that we'd hopefully have amare at full, or close to full, or just plain fuller strength and really beat the snot outta the lakes/clips.

way to go suns! awesome to get everyone in the fold and have this wrecking crew dominate the nba this year and for years to come!

feeech on me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was checking the Suns site to see if the 1 p.m. press conference would be on webcast and found this article, from about one year ago and just after we traded for him. Who would have thought we'd be happy to sign Diaw for $9 million per year back then?

EDIT: and isn't it remarkable to think it took D'Antoni two weeks to figure out what Boris could do, and Atlanta management and coaches couldn't figure it out after two years?

who was right in the LONG run? dantoni or atlanta mgmt/coaches. sigh.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

No kidding, first thing I saw...the pick we are giving up this year for KT will hurt, but the next one, which has a good chance of being a lottery pick will be the real kick in the nuts. On top of that, KT is a major reason we didn't beat the Spurs this year. :barf: Just unbelievable how fast things have gone south for this team. With D'Antoni, you knew at the very least we would be entertaining, now we may be boring and bad. What an unbelievable run of bad luck and terrible management.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
No kidding, first thing I saw...the pick we are giving up this year for KT will hurt, but the next one, which has a good chance of being a lottery pick will be the real kick in the nuts. On top of that, KT is a major reason we didn't beat the Spurs this year. :barf: Just unbelievable how fast things have gone south for this team. With D'Antoni, you knew at the very least we would be entertaining, now we may be boring and bad. What an unbelievable run of bad luck and terrible management.

Or even worse boring and incredibly average. At least boring and bad makes you look forward to rebuilding, you are likely young already, a team holding on to it's revenue streams with a kung fu grip is going to be much worse. I am actually going to say we land at least one more aged star from the 1990's this offseason.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The worst move ever was resigning this scrub. Oh yea he did look good posting up Parker though. Big whoop.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
The worst move ever was resigning this scrub. Oh yea he did look good posting up Parker though. Big whoop.

Really? A scrub? Sure it was the worst move ever at the time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort