Boris Diaw Signs Extension

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xtra sports is reporting that Boris Diaw signs a 5 year deal worth 9 million per year. Woohoo! That is good news.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Hmmm. I like Diaw but I can't help but think one of the big 3 will be traded next off season now.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is obviously an internet rumor because Sarver would never sign a player for more than the MLE because he is too cheap.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I like Diaw but I can't help but think one of the big 3 will be traded next off season now.

I don't think so, with the salary cap going up and probably the luxury tax threshold, they just might be OK. What this does guarantee though is their is no way that the Suns resign Marion when his contract is up.

And no, this is not an internet rumor, lol.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think so, with the salary cap going up and probably the luxury tax threshold, they just might be OK. What this does guarantee though is their is no way that the Suns resign Marion when his contract is up.

Next year which will be the final year of KT's deal and the first year of Diaw's and Barbosa's deal the Suns will be over the tax significantly. After that they are not in bad shape.

I think you're right about Marion if he is looking for a similar contract he has now. If he is willing to resign for 10mil per they may be able to keep him. But he'll likely find himself in the same situation as NAsh did with Dallas and Ben Wallace did in Detriot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next year which will be the final year of KT's deal and the first year of Diaw's and Barbosa's deal the Suns will be over the cap significantly. After that they are not in bad shape.

I think you're right about Marion if he is looking for a similar contract he has now. If he is willing to resign for 10mil per they may be able to keep him. But he'll likely find himself in the same situation as NAsh did with Dallas and Ben Wallace did in Detriot.

Yep I agree about Marion. I have no doubt Kurt would be willing to restructure his deal for more years with the team for a lower salary. It appears he is happy here and I could see him taking less to stay and get a longer term contract.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like KT but I doubt he signs after his current deal is up unless it's for the min. With luck the Suns can get a good replacement in next years draft(hopefully the Atl pick).

fordronken

Reaction score
Woohoo! Having Barbosa and Diaw locked up long term makes me really happy. They're the two guys that, to me, no matter what happens down the line, are perfect D'Antoni guys.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why are most of the posts on this thread already complaining about the extension??

We spent so much time talking about it, can't some of you (besides Ford) just enjoy the moment?

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
Any other confirmations out there? This is huge news if it's true.

The guy on KTAR just said something like this:

"The Suns seem to be close to signing Diaw to an extension. How close? A press conference is scheduled to tomorrow's afternoon, and Diaw should sign the extension by Friday."

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:) if this is true i'm glad this happend nice to have a great young player like Diaw locked up that way hes not worrying about a extension all season way to go suns!!!

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This hopefully makes us contenders for years and years to come. I'm glad that he took a little less to stay with the team and Sarver will have no problem paying the luxary tax, especially if the Suns win it all this year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After 2 years of arguing and name-calling and long threads about Sarver, can we finally put it to rest?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why are most of the posts on this thread already complaining about the extension??

We spent so much time talking about it, can't some of you (besides Ford) just enjoy the moment?

I'm thrilled with the extention and would have happily extended Diaw for around 11mil per. I was just postng my thoughts on how it would impact the team in the future(note I don't think the Suns will need to trade anyone).

Nash

Reaction score
I'M NOT GOING TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE ALL CAPS BECAUSE IF THIS IS TRUE, IT IS FREAAAAAAAKING GOOD NEWS FOR THE SUNS!

wooo hooo! Damn! I can't wait for official confirmation!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And we'll need an "I was wrong" from Eric too, assuming this info holds up.

You'll get one, if it does.

But it's not Sarver I was wrong about; I've never been particularly down on him. It was the team's posture with respect to the luxury tax. This probably means that Kurt Thomas will be packaged with one or more draft picks next summer in order to shed salary.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You'll get one, if it does.

But it's not Sarver I was wrong about; I've never been particularly down on him. It was the team's posture with respect to the luxury tax. This probably means that Kurt Thomas will be packaged with one or more draft picks next summer in order to shed salary.

Supposedly KT's contract in 07-08 is an option year - is that team or player?

cly2tw

Reaction score
This is close to Ginobili's and Prince's as I thought. Reasonable for both sides.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I like KT but I doubt he signs after his current deal is up unless it's for the min. With luck the Suns can get a good replacement in next years draft(hopefully the Atl pick).

That pick's already burnin a hole in the Suns pocket.