Booker to undergo hand surgery

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is the severity of the hand injury is unclear.

Training camp in Flagstaff starts on Sept. 25th.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is why he didn't have the surgery as soon as the season finished. Or before the season even ended for that matter. I highly doubt it would have impacted the Suns decision to sign him long term.

These were my thoughts as well. Why wait this long.

OP
OP
S

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
How did this happen? If it was from last season, this is dumb!
Looks like it happened late last year in practice:

The bothersome right hand injury lingered for Booker throughout the end of the 2017-18 season after he jammed it in practice on March 14, a day before the team’s game against the Utah Jazz. Booker went on to play and shot 3-of-18.

From that point on, Booker was required to wear a splint until his condition improved and he missed the last 12 games of the season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How did this happen? If it was from last season, this is dumb!
Probably thought it would get better, but either it got worse or he reinjured it.

If this team is going to get better, it has to be able to function with or without Booker. Maybe not on the highest level, but still. Book is not LeBron. He cannot carry a team all by himself night in and out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably thought it would get better, but either it got worse or he reinjured it.

If this team is going to get better, it has to be able to function with or without Booker. Maybe not on the highest level, but still. Book is not LeBron. He cannot carry a team all by himself night in and out.

I'm going with both.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pretty foolish to not have done this earlier if it's an injury from last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty foolish to not have done this earlier if it's an injury from last season.

I think a lot of fans didn't think it was that serious. I was hoping it wasn't.

At the time, Booker and the Suns took criticism, with some suggesting it was a tactic to improve the team's position in the draft.

“Everyone thinks I’m faking it. They think we’re trying to tank but that’s not the case,” Booker said last March. “I always pride myself on playing and playing through injuries.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rgo-hand-surgery-out-indefinitely/1252400002/

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Good news is that minor hand surgeries shouldn't take more than 4-6 weeks to heal. I wish they'd say exactly what the procedure is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The swelling is not particularly encouraging.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Was going to post those tweets here since they are basically the only tweets that explain why he didn't have surgery sooner. Since he's been battling with this hand injury for some time now, I would think part of it was he became accustomed to it not being 100% and figured it was ok as is and then something happened that caused it to swell up, basically sending him back to square one and the training staff now opting for surgery so it doesn't get bothered again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Swelling is a symptom, if it wasn't injured it wouldn't swell and he wouldn't be having surgery. Inflammation is the body attempting to repair damage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swelling is a symptom, if it wasn't injured it wouldn't swell and he wouldn't be having surgery. Inflammation is the body attempting to repair damage.

I agree. This is why it is discouraging.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am sure that they thought it would heal on its own--most injuries do. He probably made it worse with all the play this summer.

If its a tendonitis type of procedure its 6-8 weeks--12 max. We just don't know what the particular issue is. Its amazing he shoots this well with an injury in his shooting hand.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So who's volunteering to start the tank the season thread?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Tank for Zion! Let's get greedy and be the new Clippers/Sixers. Recurring suckness is in our future.

:help:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson