Bobby Hurley is the new ASU Basketball Coach

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Also I dont see how he helps with Bagley which would have been my only consideration in hiring. The best player in Az history is an important one.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Absolute Zero said:
Awesome hire, this dude is an inspirational and gutsy individual.

Let's be honest, even if Turd Sandwich was hired you would have lauded the decision. I'm sure Hurley will be prepped to say the right things to fire up the plebs this morning but dude has only been coaching for five years and never at a major school. He's a wild card even if he is a good hire for ASU based on potential upside and name recognition (which I think is overrated, every kid he'll recruit wasn't born when he was a national name and AAU coaches and street agents don't care about two decade old college success).

This a good hire IMO.

Can he recruit? Well see. And if he is successful will he leave for first East Coach job? Yup.

But to be fair same things were said about Coach Miller. Arizona is different then ASU obviously but there is reason to be optimistic.

At least theres some energy for ASU bball now and I hope we can make the Arizona swing of the Pac 12 trips a tough one for everyone. Only makes us better.

But yeah im not shaking in my boots either lol. Miller >>>> Best Case Scenario Hurley.

Miller was gone if Maryland's AD didn't crap himself during the interview. But yes, fresh blood was needed at ASU as Herb was lame duck city and Hurley at least offers them some sort of upside. Of course his inexperience offers a large downside as well but at least you're swinging for the fences. Herb was a bunt single hire.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's be honest, even if Turd Sandwich was hired you would have lauded the decision. I'm sure Hurley will be prepped to say the right things to fire up the plebs this morning but dude has only been coaching for five years and never at a major school. He's a wild card even if he is a good hire for ASU based on potential upside and name recognition (which I think is overrated, every kid he'll recruit wasn't born when he was a national name and AAU coaches and street agents don't care about two decade old college success).

Wrong again. My comments were referring to Hurley's life experience and battling back from a near death experience. My hope is that his intensity and committment carry over to the team.

chickenhead

Reaction score
5 years and jumping IS a good scenario at this point.

Sendek was fired after nine years.
Evans was fired after eight years.
Frieder resigned after eight years
Patterson resigned in his fourth year
Weinhauer was fired after three years

If Hurley does well and leaves ASU at a high point--with an energized fanbase and national media attention--well, then it's a much more attractive job than it was this time around.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just catching up on the Hurley introduction stuff. Man, this guy seems like he was born with a chip on his shoulder. I mean that in a good way. Dude just wants to compete, including with our rivals in Tucson. I can tell that this is going to be a wild ride.

The ASU players better be ready to work their asses off. Because that's the way that this guy was able to rise to the top during his playing days.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He feels his name and background will make up for his lack of connections and get him in recruit's doors....time will tell. I mean he does have a point as most recruits and their parents will know about him being a HS and college star. Hopefully his dad can send some of his star players his son's direction.

Hurley supposedly likes and will run an up tempo offense which will appeal to recruits and contrast what we've seen with Sendek's system.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I dont see how he helps with Bagley which would have been my only consideration in hiring. The best player in Az history is an important one.

The rumor is Bagleys HS coach might be trying to get a college job.

Edit, whoops brainfart wrote dad not HS coach. Apparently the coach at Corona retired and now there are rumors ASU may hire him.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Tremendous hire for the Devils. Hurley is a flat-out, cold blooded winner. His dad was the same way.
Who knows how long he'll stay in Tempe. But if it is only 5 years, it promises to be the most exciting 5 year period in the history of the program!

:thumbup:

HooverDam

Reaction score
The rumor is Bagleys HS coach might be trying to get a college job.

Edit, whoops brainfart wrote dad not HS coach. Apparently the coach at Corona retired and now there are rumors ASU may hire him.

Seems like a sensible hire for Hurley. Obviously gives you someone with West coast connections, and hopefully it's an in for landing the 3 Corona kids that seem to be bound to go D-1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a sensible hire for Hurley. Obviously gives you someone with West coast connections, and hopefully it's an in for landing the 3 Corona kids that seem to be bound to go D-1.

That stuff used to drive me nuts but these days I don't even care. You essentially have to do that stuff now. UCLA got in that situation with Lonzo Ball where other Pac 12 programs told the dad we'll take your younger son Melo if we get Lonzo too. UCLA eventually had to agree to take Melo and now Lonzo has publicly stated everyone else has shut down recruiting him because he made it clear he's going to UCLA.

Oregon State hired Thompson and got his son, Romar is trying to hire the father of a highly rated recruit in Missouri.

These days to get these kids sometimes you gotta do deals like that. No idea if they're going to hire the former Coach at Corona or not, but it's a way to make an immediate splash if you do.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Dominic Green decommitted. ASU only has one player in its 2015 class.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently one of the assistants Hurley hired has worked with Thon Maker at the John Lucas camps for years and now Jerry Meyer has predicted Maker to ASU.

Brian Merritt is the name.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Apparently one of the assistants Hurley hired has worked with Thon Maker at the John Lucas camps for years and now Jerry Meyer has predicted Maker to ASU.

Would be a huge get for ASU, but everyone else predicts UK or KU for Maker. Meyer also lives in Phoenix, FWIW.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

According to Devils Digest, he is known in recruiting countrywide. To land Maker would be a coup, particularly this late in the cycle

ASU loses 3 SR's (McKissic, Barnes & Gilling) and 1 transfer (MacDougall), they have some roster spots to fill.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buffalo transfer Shannon Evans has committed to Arizona State, sources told CBSSports.com on Friday.

Evans must sit out next season per NCAA rules, but he will have two years of eligibility remaining.

An explosive guard, Evans averaged 15.4 points, 4.6 assists, and 3.2 rebounds last year when current Sun Devils coach Bobby Hurley was at Buffalo.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...rd-shannon-evans-to-transfer-to-arizona-state

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I was mistaken that players who transfer because of a coaching change need not sit out. Maybe I was thinking of new recruits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard