Bobby Hurley is the new ASU Basketball Coach

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's Hurley

Doug Haller ‏@DougHaller
Confirmed: Arizona State has hired Buffalo's Bobby Hurley as its men's basketball coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought he did a good job at Buffalo.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
At least ASU is going with a high ceiling even if the big downside also exists which is more than I can say for their basketball last hire. Time will tell, doubt Sean Miller is too concerned though.

HooverDam

Reaction score
At least ASU is going with a high ceiling even if the big downside also exists which is more than I can say for their basketball last hire. Time will tell, doubt Sean Miller is too concerned though.

I think it's as close to a home run hire as we can expect on ASU. I'm MUCH more excited about Hurley than I would have been about Capel. If he can win at Buffalo, that's promising. Sure he doesn't have West Coast recruiting ties, but that's what Assistant coaches are for.

He's young-ish, high energy, and a name that excite fans and boosters, the latter of which is quite important.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think it's as close to a home run hire as we can expect on ASU. I'm MUCH more excited about Hurley than I would have been about Capel. If he can win at Buffalo, that's promising. Sure he doesn't have West Coast recruiting ties, but that's what Assistant coaches are for.

He's young-ish, high energy, and a name that excite fans and boosters, the latter of which is quite important.

Yeah, ASU wasn't going to get the proverbial home run. Program just doesn't have enough assets to get that type of hire. Hurley could be really good, he's done well in his only stop however those weren't his players and he only started coaching five years ago. High risk, high reward. Good hire for ASU.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a good hire based on what I know. The Sun Devils needed a younger coach with energy to take over the program. It injects some immediate excitement for fans.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From AZCentral.com

Bobby Hurley, the gritty college point guard who won national championships at Duke, is Arizona State's next basketball coach, charged with lifting an underachieving program to a higher level.

The hiring ends a two-week search that focused mostly on Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel, who withdrew from consideration shortly after the Blue Devils beat Wisconsin for the national championship. Hurley, however, had strong interest in ASU from the start.

In just a short time, he has established himself as one of college basketball's brighter young coaches. In two seasons at Buffalo, he went 42-20. This season, the Bulls went 23-10 and played in the program's first NCAA Tournament, where they lost to West Virginia in the opening round.

As a coach, Hurley, 43, displays the same fire and passion that made him one of the top point guards in college basketball history. They are traits he inherited from his father – Bob Hurley Sr., who has built one of the country's top high school programs at St. Anthony's High in New Jersey.

At Duke, Hurley played in three Final Fours, twice winning national championships. As a junior, he was the NCAA Tournament's Most Outstanding Player, hitting the biggest shot -- a 3-pointer with Duke down five -- in the Blue Devils' Final Four upset of previously unbeaten UNLV. As a senior, he was a consensus All-American.

Hurley finished his college career as a four-year starter and as the NCAA's career assists leader, a mark he still holds.

In 1993, the Sacramento Kings drafted Hurley with the No. 7 pick, but the point guard faced an uphill battle from nearly the start. While driving home from a home game on Dec. 12, 1993, Hurley was hit by a man driving without his lights on. Hurley was ejected from his Toyota 4Runner and nearly killed. He battled back from his injuries, but never was the same, ending his NBA career at age 26 in 1998.

In 2001, Hurley went into the horse-racing business -- opening Devil Eleven Stable -- and had immediate success, but ultimately he lost millions as an owner, according to SI.com. That led him back to basketball, where he grew quickly as a coach.

In 2010, Hurley joined brother Danny Hurley's staff at Wagner. Two years later, he followed Danny to Rhode Island to become the associate head coach. In 2013, he was hired as head coach at Buffalo.

At ASU, Hurley replaces Herb Sendek, who was fired March 24 after taking the Sun Devils to two NCAA Tournaments in nine seasons. It's not an easy job. Located in a pro-sports market, ASU has made just five NCAA Tournaments over the past 33 seasons. It never has won the postseason conference tournament. Part of Hurley's job will be to energize a fan base that for so long has taken a "wait-and-see" approach.

The good news for Hurley: It's not a complete rebuilding job. The Sun Devils are expected to return four starters from last season's 18-16 team that lost in the second round of the NIT. Sophomore forward Savon Goodman and freshman point guard Tra Holder flashed all-conference ability.

ASU also plans to renovate or replace aging Wells Fargo Arena within the next few years, a significant development in the program's future.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting hire IMO. I agree with the above, ASU was never going to get the home run nationally recognized big name coach. This is intriguing because not only does he have Duke ties which he can invoke but he has instant name recognition. I think this COULD but not necessarily guarantee a boost in recruiting. Kids or at least their parents are going to know who he is.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think he will be a great fit for asu. Good energy unlike Sendak

HooverDam

Reaction score
Key will be recruiting in California.

That's more true in football than basketball. The key in hoops is just recruiting, it matters less where they come from. In football you have so many roster slots to fill, you almost have to stay local/regional with recruiting, that's somewhat less true in hoops.

In fact, I'd say if anything AZ recruits ought to be Hurley's #1 priority right now. AZ has a bumper crop of young potentially very good HS guys coming out right now. If I'm Hurley, my first call is to about a half dozen local AZ guys. They already know ASU and are more likely to get excited by his hiring than some kid in Illinois or whatever.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's probably only going to be at ASU for 5 years at best. If he does well then he's going to jump to a better program and if not then that may be as long as they give him. Not going to complain a bit if the first scenario happens though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's probably only going to be at ASU for 5 years at best. If he does well then he's going to jump to a better program and if not then that may be as long as they give him. Not going to complain a bit if the first scenario happens though.

I don't think that is necessarily true. I remember people saying the same thing about Lute. I am sure other big name coaches at other schools probably the same thing said about them at one time or another before they made a name for their respective programs.

It only takes one coach with a strong commitment. The key is the school reciprocating that commitment to him.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Statement from Bobby Hurley, Arizona State men's basketball coach:

While it was an extremely difficult decision to move on from my team in Buffalo, this is a tremendous opportunity and I want to thank Mr. (Ray) Anderson (Vice President of Athletics) and Dr. (Michael) Crow (ASU President) for selecting me as the leader of the ASU men's basketball program.
To the 942 Crew: You are pioneers and are truly special, so thank you for changing the way students participate in the game with the Curtain of Distraction. To the fans: Our passion, enthusiasm and energy will breed a culture you will be proud to support. To all of our former players: You are the lifeblood of the program and one of my primary objectives will be to engage you and bring you back home. With our fast-paced and aggressive style of play, we are going to make Sun Devil Basketball a destination for in-state, national, and international basketball talent.

Our purpose is to mold championship-caliber young men on the court, in the classroom and around the community. We are here to set a new standard, to make regular trips to the NCAA Tournament, and regularly compete for conference and national titles.

With the full support of this community there is no doubt in my mind we are going to build something truly special here in Tempe.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
About as good a hire that I think we could expect. I'm glad we got someone who unproven with high upside instead of someone who's proven to be mediocre. As long as there isn't an exodus of players, we should have a decent team in his first year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lavin would have been a bigger splash but Hurley fills most of the criteria of a good hire.

Pros:
Young
Energetic
Name recognition
Played for 2 legendary coaches
Some success in young coaching career

Cons:
Hasn't recruited on a national stage level

ASU still has a 4-star PF committed who said he will wait and see who the hire is before making a decision on his commitment so he will be Hurley's first recruiting test. They lost all-state PG Markus Howard so getting him back should be Hurley's next order of business. Assembling a staff with WC connections should help. Maybe hire Pastner when he gets canned.....JOKING.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck ASU, and I mean this sincerely. He was one of the best college BB players ever.

Still think he is going to be owned by Sean Miller, tho.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good luck ASU, and I mean this sincerely. He was one of the best college BB players ever.

Still think he is going to be owned by Sean Miller, tho.

I think it's unreasonable for ASU fans to believe that Hurley is going to go toe-to-toe with Miller, especially right out of the gate. Hurley's first task before doing anything else is to get people excited about the program. He's going to have to do some baby kissing to start, get some recruits to open their doors for him, and win some ball games.

Jody Oehler made a great point today on 910: Hurley doesn't have to be Miller, but if he is Larry K from Utah, it's a home run for ASU.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This a good hire IMO.

Can he recruit? Well see. And if he is successful will he leave for first East Coach job? Yup.

But to be fair same things were said about Coach Miller. Arizona is different then ASU obviously but there is reason to be optimistic.

At least theres some energy for ASU bball now and I hope we can make the Arizona swing of the Pac 12 trips a tough one for everyone. Only makes us better.

But yeah im not shaking in my boots either lol. Miller >>>> Best Case Scenario Hurley.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson