Board Games

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At the risk of showing my nerd card, does anyone here play board games? I'm learning that it's quite a niche. Perhaps an extension of the D&D generation back when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s.

There are quite a few really interesting and complicated games out there.

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love getting together with friends and playing Catan for example.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Secret Hitler is a great game.

I grew up playing Axis and Allies. I have to break that out and get my son to play.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have and love several Fluxx games and have been playing a ton of UNO Flip lately. Obviously more card games than board games, but still a lot of fun. The actual board game we play the most is Dicecapades.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catan is my family’s favorite game. We play it every time we go camping. We randomly setup the map so every game has a new strategy.

Lots of pieces for a camping trip. Kudos for pulling that off. Have you tried Rivals of Catan? The dice game?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Lots of pieces for a camping trip. Kudos for pulling that off. Have you tried Rivals of Catan? The dice game?

For full disclosure we’re in an RV. I haven’t heard if Rivals, but I’ve looked into expansion packs. It’s crazy how many versions are out there.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Every year, three of my oldest buddies and I go on a weeklong camp trip that really is just drinking and playing board games with an occasional hike.
This year we played:
Lords of Waterdeep
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico
Splendor
Catan
Cable Car
Kingdomino (and Queendomino)
Zombie Dice
Quirkle

Good times....

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Every year, three of my oldest buddies and I go on a weeklong camp trip that really is just drinking and playing board games with an occasional hike.
This year we played:
Lords of Waterdeep
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico
Splendor
Catan
Cable Car
Zombie Dice
Quirkle

Good times....
I’ve heard lords of water deep is pretty good.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For full disclosure we’re in an RV. I haven’t heard if Rivals, but I’ve looked into expansion packs. It’s crazy how many versions are out there.

Get the Seafarers pack. It really is an awesome expansion and well worth the money.

The rest of them are crazy, CRAZY. The rules are insane and it is hard to keep track of. Cities and Knights for example plays better on PC/iOS/Google Play, etc.

Rivals of Catan is just a dice version of Catan that has Catan rules, but plays like Yahtzee. It only takes 20 min or so per game, so it's a perfect travel game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year we played:
Lords of Waterdeep
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico
Splendor
Catan
Cable Car
Zombie Dice
Quirkle

Good times....

Drinking and board games? Man, I need some friends.....

I will have to look into some of these. I couldn't get into Carcassonne.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Get the Seafarers pack. It really is an awesome expansion and well worth the money.

The rest of them are crazy, CRAZY. The rules are insane and it is hard to keep track of. Cities and Knights for example plays better on PC/iOS/Google Play, etc.

Rivals of Catan is just a dice version of Catan that has Catan rules, but plays like Yahtzee. It only takes 20 min or so per game, so it's a perfect travel game.

I’ve seen that one; it looks pretty fun. I have to be careful because if it gets too complex my wife won’t play. The dice game sounds perfect.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This year we played:
Lords of Waterdeep
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico
Splendor
Catan
Cable Car
Zombie Dice
Quirkle

Good times....

I don’t know any of those games except for Catan, but that sounds like an awesome time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen that one; it looks pretty fun. I have to be careful because if it gets too complex my wife won’t play. The dice game sounds perfect.

Not too complex and you will want to always play Seafarers once you get it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Oh yeah; where do you play Cities and Knights online?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah; where do you play Cities and Knights online?

There is an official PC game that has it and people are playing. I haven't played it in many years though.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Not too complex and you will want to always play Seafarers once you get it.

Thanks DCR. This was great advice. We've had Seafarers for about a month and we've played it 10 times, and we still have half the maps still to play. I thought the original Catan was fun, but this expansion pack makes it exponentially more fun.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel in general about board and even card games made for PCs/Consoles? It's not the same in person but you get online capabilities, animations etc. I have some and think some are fun but others? Meh.

One of my favorite online board games of all time was Battle Chess and later the Star Wars version.

My family and I still love playing traditional board games.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm playing the CRAP out of Tabletop Simulator right now. There are people out there creating exact replicas of actual board games. And you can download them for free. Get a couple friends that have the software as well (its' about $20 and worth it), and you can have full blown game nights with traditional board games.

Just on that computer software alone I've played;

Horrified - Solo
Legendary Encounters: Alien
Legendary Encounters: X-Files Solo
Nemesis
Santorini
Gloomhaven
Firefly the Game
Spirit Island
Unfair

And a few others.

Takes a little getting used to re: the controls, but it's worth it. There are even mods of board games that you can't get physically. For example, there a bunch of mods for Disney's Villainous, including one that has Star Wars villains.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm playing the CRAP out of Tabletop Simulator right now. There are people out there creating exact replicas of actual board games. And you can download them for free. Get a couple friends that have the software as well (its' about $20 and worth it), and you can have full blown game nights with traditional board games.

Just on that computer software alone I've played;

Horrified - Solo
Legendary Encounters: Alien
Legendary Encounters: X-Files Solo
Nemesis
Santorini
Gloomhaven
Firefly the Game
Spirit Island
Unfair

And a few others.

Takes a little getting used to re: the controls, but it's worth it. There are even mods of board games that you can't get physically. For example, there a bunch of mods for Disney's Villainous, including one that has Star Wars villains.

I think they have TAbletop Simulator in VR now. I heard it's pretty cool. I will have to try some of the others. I know my daughter couldn't get enough of Uno on the console. Her and her friends would play all the time. I might give Tabletop a go.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I've been playing Risk online for 15 years. It's actually better online than on a board. Hundreds of maps and several other options. The best option is "fog", which means you only have the ability to see the troop count of your opponent's territories that you border. There's a lot more strategy involved when you're not sure what size army is lurking around the corner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose