Bills | Fitzpatrick likely to be released

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
The Bills can actually save nearly $500K against the salary cap by cutting Ryan Fitzpatrick after this season.

According to the Buffalo News, it now "seems obvious" Fitzpatrick will be released or have his contract restructured. He's received $21 million of a six-year, $62 million contract he signed on Oct. 28, 2011. Since then, the Bills have gone 7-18 and Fitzpatrick has to shoulder a lot of the blame. He's managed just 211.7 yards per game this year while throwing 16 interceptions and losing six fumbles. His 82.9 passer rating ranks 19th in the league. The Bills could show interest in replacing Fitz with Michael Vick this spring.

rotoworld

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This would surprise me though I agree he is not their long term solution. Mike Glennon or Tyler Bray would not shock me with their first round pick if they do.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
The fact that they're doing this to save $500k tells me something.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Bring him in. Then immediately put him in Whiz's dog house for some inexplicable reason and continue to play Brian Hoyer. Or maybe Charlie Batch. Or whoever Pittsburgh is nice enough to allow us to play with.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He could be a stopgap player until we draft johnny Manzel.

Manzel will continue to be a stud in college but unless he puts some serious weight on, he will get killed in the NFL. Wilson is short but built for his frame. Johnny Football is exactly that, a kid. If he were to find a way to add mass to his frame, then hell yes.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't watched him that closely, but the perception I get is that Fitzpatrick is capable occasionally of lighting things up with big plays - something nearly 100% absent from the Cardinal passing attack this year.

Of course, having Spiller and not having the Cardinal OL didn't hurt either.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If we can pick him up without spending an arm and a leg I would be all for it. I would obviously still draft a QB somewhere in the first 2 rounds of the draft and would consider trying to restructure Kolb's contract to stay on as a backup.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
id take him and draft a qb in the first or second to compete. Makes sense.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Obvioulsy he's better than what the Cards have but I am not a big fan. I think this means Buffalo is taking Geno Smith if he's there. This stinks because it's putting more teams in the QB pool. Now we have the Cards, Chiefs, Jets, Bills as sureities and Oak, Cleve, SD, and Jax as possibilities.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obvioulsy he's better than what the Cards have but I am not a big fan. I think this means Buffalo is taking Geno Smith if he's there. This stinks because it's putting more teams in the QB pool. Now we have the Cards, Chiefs, Jets, Bills as sureities and Oak, Cleve, SD, and Jax as possibilities.

I can't see Chiefs passing by Geno Smith.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Buffalo has arguably much better offensive personnel around the QB than the Cards do

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Buffalo has arguably much better offensive personnel around the QB than the Cards do
I think the Cards have better receivers, but you could be right on the remainder of personnel (RBs and lineman), but at the same time I feel as though our whole offense would look better if teams were forced to respect our ability to throw. Right now teams are stacking the box just daring us to drop back and throw, but we are incapable of making them pay for it.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
We could go after David Nelson too.....he and Andre Roberts would be a nice complement.