Bickley/MJ reporting Horton wants out.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
He never coached for them---he coached for US---and he delivered for US in ways we have never seen in Arizona.

I don't care what other teams think...I care about what our team thinks.

We just lost special.

This is Warner part II.

Our team didn't think he was ready to be head coach, we will likely never know the specifics but it seems that fell right in line with the other teams he interviewed for.

I must have missed it when Warner signed with another team.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if hortons just pissed about not being promoted? Tough *******, welcome to life. You were nobody two years ago and now you have a name due to great scheming and superior talent. Build on your resume and shut up.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rumors perpetuated by Jurecki and the rest of the twits!

It amazes me how gullible some of you are.

BTW Mitch, where is the evidence, proof that MB would not negoiate with Keim's agent?

chickenhead

Reaction score
It's also no guarantee that an offensive HC can turn around this shipwreck that has terrible talent at keys positions either. Ummmm Ken Whisenhunt ;)
Don Coryell or Sid Gillman couldn't make this offense work with our bad QBs, bad Oline & bad RBs. Just my 2 cents.

Well of course. And there's no guarantee that the defense doesn't regress with Horton promoted and a new coordinator running the defensive unit.
I was just saying that I understand why this might be the Cardinals strategy (acknowledging that "Cardinals strategy" is not historically a phrase that inspires confidence).

In any case, what I want to know now is--what does Arians think about Kolb?
:newcards:

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall regarding Ray Horton's chances as the head coach when Steve Keim said the 58-0 arse whooping to Seattle was one of the biggest motivating factors in Keim's career. Keim said that along with the NFC Championship in 08, the 58-0 drubbing were the two things that drive him the most to bring the Cards back to respectability.

Ray Horton did some really good things but it's not like this defense was the 1985 Chicago Bears. The first half of the 2011 season our defense sucked, and the 2nd half of this season we gave up huge chunks of rushing yardage. When you are the defensive coordinator of a team that gives up 58 points to a division rival, you give GM's serious reservations about leading a team.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall regarding Ray Horton's chances as the head coach when Steve Keim said the 58-0 arse whooping to Seattle was one of the biggest motivating factors in Keim's career. Keim said that along with the NFC Championship in 08, the 58-0 drubbing were the two things that drive him the most to bring the Cards back to respectability.

Ray Horton did some really good things but it's not like this defense was the 1985 Chicago Bears. The first half of the 2011 season our defense sucked, and the 2nd half of this season we gave up huge chunks of rushing yardage. When you are the defensive coordinator of a team that gives up 58 points to a division rival, you give GM's serious reservations about leading a team.

In all fairness, the offense had something to do with that.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Technically he didn't. There were two pick sixes which the defense had no hand in.

I also can't fault a defense for playing run and Petey throws a long 4th down pass in the 4th quarter up by 40 something. I think it was like 4th and over 10.

So really it's more like 37, and then I'm forgetting how many times we turned the ball over in our own territory and/or gave up long kick/punt returns for major yards. I honestly can't remember if we gave up a kick/punt return TD. So imo you can hang no more than 37 on Horton in that loss. Perhaps less.

Which isn't that bad considering how well all the other games were and it appears that was the give up on whiz moment as well.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

One game, and a year full of negative support from the offense.

Say what you want about Horton, but the stats speak from themselves. His defense was one the tops in the league.

Look, Arians is the guy, and if he is the guy and it costs the organization Horton then it is what it is. No need to try and skew it as no big deal.

It is a big risk. A needed one, yes, cause Horton keeps the defense good, but doesn't fix the offense as a HC then the team goes 5-11 again. Cause it would be the same as last year.

Its not Arians fault that Horton is angry, and Horton has every right to be confident in his abilities, just look at the stats. For the one blow out, I can point to at least three games his defense won by themselves, with negative support from the offense (meaning they did more damage against their own team than anything else).

This ridiculousness is the fault of our owner (not surprising), and our new GM who is starting off on the wrong foot. There is no two ways about it. Never heard of something like this happening, so the Cardinals AGAIN are the 1st to do some horrible thing when it comes to NFL failure. Both already are in the doghouse.

And no matter what ? If Horton leaves it will be national news, and the Cardinals will be rightfully raked over the coals.

Leaving them that much more work to do, in order to win any confidence from fans, players, coaches, and all things football related.

Bad stuff in that regard, but really, what is new. This is the Cardinals.

Just enjoy the new hope of a new coach who, if anything, knows how to coach in the NFL. Can't do it for as long as he has, without producing.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This is a good post and I agree with it. However I think the D should be cut some slack because they only really melted down one game out of a season with no support. I just don't think as a coach you can get thumped by your division rivals and expect it to be okay. Horton's got a good future but if Keim pushed for Arians as hard as it sounds then I'm not sure it'll be in AZ.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's hard to fault who is at blame that Horton is mad and/or leaves.....if that is even the case.

What MB was preaching at the beginning, was MB, not Keim. Let's try not to forget that.

MB said one thing, maybe Keim thought another way.

So I wouldn't say Keim is off on a bad foot yet. This whole situation was awkward, and could get more so, or it could calm down down and everything is fine.

We'll definitely find out though.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Our team didn't think he was ready to be head coach, we will likely never know the specifics but it seems that fell right in line with the other teams he interviewed for.

Fair enough, but assistant coaches have gone around looking at head coaching jobs for years, upon years.

How is it, we are the first to some how screw that situation up so bad, the guy wants to now quit.

Really, Horton knows the business, there is something more too it.

I agree tho....we probably will never know.

I agree with Mitch, that if Horton leaves, you lose something special that you know you had, for something you think will be better (bird in hand worth two in the bush).

Again, something offensively had to be done. If Horton keeps the defense great, does nothing on offense then you have what you had last year.

What sucks ? A real, professional, NFL franchise would have Arians as the Head Coach and Horton as the defensive coordinator. Yet, the Cardinals can screw up ANYTHING!

Lets hope they got the coach right. I have hope, so.......we will see.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It's hard to fault who is at blame that Horton is mad and/or leaves.....if that is even the case.

What MB was preaching at the beginning, was MB, not Keim. Let's try not to forget that.

MB said one thing, maybe Keim thought another way.

So I wouldn't say Keim is off on a bad foot yet. This whole situation was awkward, and could get more so, or it could calm down down and everything is fine.

We'll definitely find out though.

Good post.

It makes me feel I need an editor.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
MikeSilver I'm told Ray Horton is out as Cardinals defensive coordinator and will be replaced by Todd Bowles. Source who knows. Bad vibes all around.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
if Keim pushed for Arians as hard as it sounds then I'm not sure it'll be in AZ.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Really ?

Where did you hear that nugget of knowledge. Very interesting.

If Arians is Keim's guy, then things make more sense.

Bidwill, who still deserves severe criticism if he loses Horton, and will get in publically in the media, did say he wanted a strong head coach and GM connection.

Gotta give him that. Just wish he can pull it off like a ....well you know, profession NFL organization, and not a Taco Hut Drive-in.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
MikeSilver I'm told Ray Horton is out as Cardinals defensive coordinator and will be replaced by Todd Bowles. Source who knows. Bad vibes all around.

Yeah, agreed.

We are all waiting to hear this confirmed. Hopefully not, but it seems to be a, where there is smoke there is fire situation.

Big, HUGE, loss for the Cardinals if it happens. People can pretend it is not, but the production is in the books for all to see.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
And if hortons just pissed about not being promoted? Tough *******, welcome to life. You were nobody two years ago and now you have a name due to great scheming and superior talent. Build on your resume and shut up.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

"Tough *******"

This is my favorite post of the year so far. Absolutely awesome. You reminded me that he was a questionable hire and a no-name two years ago who only got hired because Labeau couldn't interview.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Yeah, agreed.

We are all waiting to hear this confirmed. Hopefully not, but it seems to be a, where there is smoke there is fire situation.

Big, HUGE, loss for the Cardinals if it happens. People can pretend it is not, but the production is in the books for all to see.

One twit, Jurecki, tweets and the rest of the twits pick it up.

:bang:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rumors perpetuated by Jurecki and the rest of the twits!

It amazes me how gullible some of you are.

BTW Mitch, where is the evidence, proof that MB would not negoiate with Keim's agent?

Yet, the source that says that is not going to happen is an agent who is to be trusted ?

It amazes me how people will call out others, and end up doing the EXACT thing they are calling others out for.

You find me the fountain of truthful sources, and I will take your gullible remark.

I hope you are completely right BTW.

One twit, Jurecki, tweets and the rest of the twits pick it up.

:bang:

And then repeated by Mike Silver.

Dude, you are guillible as the rest of us at times, so get off the pedastal. We all don't know jack, and will know soon.

ANd we will continue to talk about it, whether you call us all names or not.

How about if it is true ? You gonna apologize ? :D

Ease back buddy, just people talking football on a football message board.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I aint believing jack until I hear it from Horton in a real quote.

Lance Arm is Strong because it's full of dope, but lied for years.

Manti-anti, my girlfriend can't die, cuz she was never alive.

Andy Reid was 95% here, I figure that's about 340 pounds that made it to Arizona. But the 20 pounds that was in Kansas City makes all the decisions.

If Horton's end goal is to be a Headcoach, I doubt he would tarnish his resume going baby mode with a year left on his contract. If Mikey promised the man something and didn't live up to it, that could piss him off, but I don't know jack.
Everybodies all jacked up, I took a nap and my best work of the day just got buried. :p

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Its blatanly obvious to me Norv signed with Cle AFTER learning Horton not getting the GIG.

I swer we are fans of the biggest bunch of idiots ever... HULK SMASH!

FYI Turner was on vacation and didn't get back until just recently. Horton was not going to bring in Turner.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
"Tough *******"

This is my favorite post of the year so far. Absolutely awesome. You reminded me that he was a questionable hire and a no-name two years ago who only got hired because Labeau couldn't interview.

I liked the hire.

Guy earned his opportunities, and the proof is in the production.

No one knows what is going on. It is all heresay, fun to discuss, but I think if Horton were to quit, it would be more than just because he was passed over for a promotion.

It happens all the time. Heck, Trey Parker for the Jags was in the EXACT same situation, and he is not looking to leave.

IF it is true, there is more to it. And the Cardinals font office do more than there share to be called into question.

I mean we are calling out a defensive coordinator who produced for this organization and is a great asset for who, for what ?

For the sake of a front office that has been inept for 98% of its exsitence ?

Really who has the benefit of the doubt here ?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call Pittsburgh and trade Ray Horton for Keith Bulter right now. I could happen, right?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I swer we are fans of the biggest bunch of idiots ever... HULK SMASH!

I don't know why, but I love this quote.

In our defense we are never given the whole story, and have watched a football organization that is so bad, it makes you feel like you been hit in the head too much.

......says the rugby player.....you may be on to something LIAC.

Cruzmo

Reaction score
I am optimistic about the hire, but would like to see what his offensive staff ends up like, and of course resolving all the rumors about Horton once and for all.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Call Pittsburgh and trade Ray Horton for Keith Bulter right now. I could happen, right?

All for it.

Cause to be honest, I either want to run the 3-4 that the Steelers run, or just blow it up and go back to the 4-3.

Yet, we have NO players to play in the 4-3.

I mean, I don't think Daryl Washington can play the WILB position. We have no MLB which is the most important position in the defense, and I mean NO ONE.

Acho, Schofield, Groves become worthless.

Dockett is gone, and more than likely Wilson just cause they don't fit the mold.

Williams and Campbell would be your DT's, and we have ZERO defensive ends for a 4-3.

Our needs on defense would be:

DE:
DE:
SLB:
MLB:
WLB:

right off the bat. Not to mention the mess on offense.

At least one year of losing 12 games at best, Pure speculation on the record of course, but the needs for a 4-3 are accurate, IMO.