Bettcher, Pagano, and McCoy

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So Jurecki today was saying that Arians recommended Bettcher for HC. He followed that by saying that Bettcher could get Pagano as DC and Mike McCoy as OC.

When I first heard this I kind of dismissed it, but the more I think about it the more intersting it sounds.

Bettcher grew a lot this year and there were some rumblings that the defense really took off once Arians removed the handcuffs from Bettcher. The defense was a true bright spot this year. Is he a leader? I don't know but the defense seems to have responded. A defense can fold up shop when the offense is inept and the postseason is lost but this squad only got better.

As for Pagano and McCoy, both have a ton of experience and would be a nice way to round out the staff.

Looking at the coordinators, Patricia ect, are we really sure they are any better than the combo of Bettcher, Pagano, and McCoy? I don't know. But IMO it's worth kicking the tires.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Surprised that Goodwin didn't get the recommendation. But, I wouldn't hate this, and would be happy with some continuity. Those coordinators would be pretty amazing.

Is he ready? I don't know. I still prefer Shurmur.

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Surprised that Goodwin didn't get the recommendation. But, I wouldn't hate this, and would be happy with some continuity. Those coordinators would be pretty amazing.

Is he ready? I don't know. I still prefer Shurmur.
He actually got a recommendation as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And I roundly boo that idea. Bruce did great here. Thank you, Bruce. Your run is over. No offense, but time for Mike and Steve to make a really good choice that doesn’t necessarily require your misplaced loyalties.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think he is the best candidate or anything but if he could put together a good staff (McCoy and Pagano would qualify as pretty good in my book) it would probably be better than hiring someone like Patricia like a few others said above.
It's a lot like what the Rams did. Hire the up and comer with a solid staff. Or they can hire Jim Schwartz? If there is an outside candidate that is a better fit, philosphy, culture, and checks all the boxes then go for it. But sometimes the answer is right in front of you. Bettcher kicked ass this year. The hate for him on here is bizarre.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I don't think he is the best candidate or anything but if he could put together a good staff (McCoy and Pagano would qualify as pretty good in my book) it would probably be better than hiring someone like Patricia like a few others said above.

Both of those guys are unemployed, so I am pretty sure they are options for any coach.

OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Best quote from that Peter King article...and this matters: Word around the league is that Bettcher’s staff would be star-studded, with household names at both offensive and defensive coordinator, plus some of the game’s most proven and respected assistants at other spots. That alone can propel someone to the top of a head coaching search list. Besides Matt Patricia, there are no high-profile defensive-minded coaching candidates this year. There could be an opportunity for the quiet candidate from Arizona to emerge.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's a lot like what the Rams did. Hire the up and comer with a solid staff. Or they can hire Jim Schwartz? If there is an outside candidate that is a better fit, philosphy, culture, and checks all the boxes then go for it. But sometimes the answer is right in front of you. Bettcher kicked ass this year. The hate for him on here is bizarre.

It's like the wailing and gnashing of teeth over how bad Stanton is as a backup QB. Or the complaints about our 7 time Pro Bowl CB.

I think it's a phenomenon that happens if you're paying too much attention to your own team, and not watching the league as a whole.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard