Best and Wost Lottery Picks

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
ESPN Insider's Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton share their lists of the best and worst lottery picks by team in the 32 years since the NBA instituted the draft lottery in 1985.
ESPN Insider's Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton share their lists of the best and worst lottery picks by team in the 32 years since the NBA instituted the draft lottery in 1985.

Pelton's list is based on how players rated in terms of his wins above replacement player (WARP) metric compared to their expected value based on where they were drafted and the overall strength of the draft lottery.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-19393608/every-team-best-worst-lottery-picks
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-19393608/every-team-best-worst-lottery-picks
The Suns
Best Pick 1999 NBA Draft Shawn Marion
Worst Pick 1987 NBA Draft Armon Gilliam

Besides Nash, taken outside the lottery, the rest of the core of the Suns' Mike D'Antoni-era contenders was built with No. 9 picks: Marion in 1999 and Stoudemire in 2002, both great choices.

While Gilliam had a better NBA career than the likes of William Bedford and Earl Clark, the expectations were higher for the No. 2 pick in a draft that featured Hall of Famers Pippen and Miller in the top 11, plus All-Stars Kevin Johnson and Horace Grant.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think Amare at his peak was better than Marion. I would put Amare over Marion on this list. I was only 5 when they made the Gilliam pick. However, Len at 5 may be on this list in 10 years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think Amare at his peak was better than Marion. I would put Amare over Marion on this list. I was only 5 when they made the Gilliam pick. However, Len at 5 may be on this list in 10 years.

Yeah Amare at his peak was better but that was 2-3 seasons. Marion is higher on my Suns all-time list.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose