Best #1 pick for 3-4 Defense

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Nkemdiche is toast. He tore his ACL in December, that along with his injury history tells me he is not going to be a factor in 2019. He may even be cut (they are certainly not picking up his 5th year option). They can save 1.6m by cutting him in 2019.

Golden is a FA and signing him to play a new position (ILB) is setting ourselves up for failure. Sign KJ Wright and don't look back.

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Q Williams was a monster against Oklahoma the best offensive line in the country and he was in the backfield all night. I have no idea what you were watching

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nkemdiche is toast. He tore his ACL in December, that along with his injury history tells me he is not going to be a factor in 2019. He may even be cut (they are certainly not picking up his 5th year option). They can save 1.6m by cutting him in 2019.

Golden is a FA and signing him to play a new position (ILB) is setting ourselves up for failure. Sign KJ Wright and don't look back.

Yeah Nkemdiche wasn't good before the injury. He was even worse in a 3-4. He is one of the most unreliable players on the Cardinals. There is no way they pick up his 5th year option and I think they should cut bait on him ASAP.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Yeah, but you don't do that often in a well-designed 3-4, and most of the time you're playing in nickel anyway.

If you can line him up on the strong-side and have him hold the edge against an RT or blocking TE, you're going to be in pretty good shape.
Yea. On passing downs we would only use two defensive linemen anyway with our outside linebackers rushing so yea I agree Bosa would still be in the mix to be drafted number one.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If we pick up Bosa, maybe Golden as the odd man out can move inside. He's the biggest and strongest of our linebackers, can shed, tackle, rush, and cover. He'd be a hell of an upgrade as our masher ILB, and would immediately improve our interior run defense while allowing our outside pass rushers to be Bosa and Jones, immediately the best pair in the NFL.
I like this idea. We can have reddick as our guy in coverage with Golden stopping the run more. This way we wouldn't have to get another linebacker. The only problem is will Golden go for it and will he stay and not go to the highest bidder in free agency.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
No way Golden can play ILB other than in special blitz packages where he goes after the QB. He is a DE or 3-4 OLB, a pure edge rusher. Never played inside, and way too stiff, too slow in space. Bynes is on the lower end in terms of ILB athleticism and still quicker thant Golden. And Bynes has played ILB his entire career so he has the instincts.

Reddick was moved from edge rusher to ILB because he has the tools to pull it off. Golden doesn't.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Maybe with one or two shrewd picks on defense, we'd have guys playing in their proper positions and could take the existing talent back to the heights it enjoyed a couple years ago.
Gunter and Nkdemiche are more ideally suited to play DE than interior line, so naturally we have them over the guards this year. They're too 'small' at 290-295 to be interior DL. They can be effective farther out (they're not freakazoids like Aaron Donald, but then, who is?)
Reddick and Bucannon have been used so out of position its hard to see where they fit in.
Keep Golden, make him your interior beast like Ray Lewis. Makes a lot more sense than trying to put Buc there.
All you really need is a quality CB2 and a big meathead NT.

........Nkdemiche............Meat..............Pierre...........
Bosa............Golden...............Reddick............Jones

CB2........Baker............................SS..............Peterson

Maybe if Dexter Lawrence lasts till #33, he'd be a monster NT.
Pencil in DJ Swearinger at SS and all we have to do is get the best #2 CB in free agency and we have a good looking defense if we get the right DC.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forget scheme and skill-set for a moment.

What do we need to do to stop the run better?

What do we need to do to better cover short slant patterns and reduce opponents' 3rd down conversions?
Yeah Nkemdiche wasn't good before the injury. He was even worse in a 3-4. He is one of the most unreliable players on the Cardinals. There is no way they pick up his 5th year option and I think they should cut bait on him ASAP.

His 4th year is cheap.

His future is a decision to be made at training camp.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
His 4th year is cheap.

His future is a decision to be at training camp.

Agreed.

Dare I say, is he even worth the roster spot, and I immediately question myself in saying so, because if he gets hurt again then stick him on IR.

But he has to be slated at the VERY BOTTOM of the depth chart, to rely on him and pass up talent to put on the roster would be a huge mistake, IMHO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose