Best #1 pick for 3-4 Defense

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Can’t see us drafting Bosa then if we are going back to a 3-4. If he has a weakness it’s standing up and or dropping into coverage.

Then trade down with someone who wants Bosa. I don't want SF to get him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can’t see us drafting Bosa then if we are going back to a 3-4. If he has a weakness it’s standing up and or dropping into coverage.

Yeah, but you don't do that often in a well-designed 3-4, and most of the time you're playing in nickel anyway.

If you can line him up on the strong-side and have him hold the edge against an RT or blocking TE, you're going to be in pretty good shape.

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
Put on the tape, and tell me there is a better defensive player than Josh Allen, he can rush the passer, he can drop in coverage, he tackles in space, he is great in run defense. This guy is a special player.

Okay.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Plus I wouldn't waste a #1 overall pick on a 3-4 DE.

J.J. Watt and Clowney? I just think that any player that is stout against the run and can get double digit sacks is incredibly valuable no matter what scheme or position you want to classify them as

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
J.J. Watt and Clowney? I just think that any player that is stout against the run and can get double digit sacks is incredibly valuable no matter what scheme or position you want to classify them as

Neither of those guys are 3-4 DE. They are both edge rushers that you would consider to be typical 4-3 DEs.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have pass rush talent in C Jones and Golden.

We're not all that bullet proof vs. runs between the tackles.

And then there's the issue of #2 CB.

If we draft according to need, we should be looking long and hard at NT and CB.

If we draft according to BPA, Bosa becomes part of the conversation along with a stud wide receiver or franchise LT if the right one is available.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Neither of those guys are 3-4 DE. They are both edge rushers that you would consider to be typical 4-3 DEs.

I would think J.J. pretty much the prototype for 5 tech. I wouldn’t consider passing on him or Donald no matter what scheme is in place. They are game wreckers.

Wildfire

Registered
Reaction score
Now that we are sure about the base scheme, who is the best fit?

Bosa?

Q or Oliver in a trade down?

Anyone else?
Trade down because teams will want to move up to draft Bosa, Allen, and Q. Williams. Pick up another pick and draft Greedy Williams.
Williams will be the shut down corner back that we've been looking for.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If we draft according to BPA, Bosa becomes part of the conversation along with a stud wide receiver or franchise LT if the right one is available.

We need 5 technique D-ends,

We have a NT and a backup can be found later in the draft.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we pick up Bosa, maybe Golden as the odd man out can move inside. He's the biggest and strongest of our linebackers, can shed, tackle, rush, and cover. He'd be a hell of an upgrade as our masher ILB, and would immediately improve our interior run defense while allowing our outside pass rushers to be Bosa and Jones, immediately the best pair in the NFL.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

But Jeff, the experts say you don't take a DT with a number 1 pick lol

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
If we pick up Bosa, maybe Golden as the odd man out can move inside. He's the biggest and strongest of our linebackers, can shed, tackle, rush, and cover. He'd be a hell of an upgrade as our masher ILB, and would immediately improve our interior run defense while allowing our outside pass rushers to be Bosa and Jones, immediately the best pair in the NFL.

I'm not sure about that, I don't think Golden has the speed to hit the gaps.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I'm ok with Bosa and maybe Allen. I was trying to get hyped about Q Williams, but his last 2 games, I didn't see much. He didn't / couldn't do much against those OL's to warrant a Top pick or Top 3.

Like I've said before, a trade down with Oakland at 4 and try to get one of their late 1sts they're getting from Dallas or Chicago would be great. I'd even consider a trade to 6 or 7 so they can grab their QB in Haskins or Murray if he comes out. If we trade to 6 or 7, I'd grab N'Keal Harry (if he's projected to be taken early and fear of losing out on him), J Williams to help on OL or Greedy to put across from PP

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm ok with Bosa and maybe Allen. I was trying to get hyped about Q Williams, but his last 2 games, I didn't see much. He didn't / couldn't do much against those OL's to warrant a Top pick or Top 3.

Like I've said before, a trade down with Oakland at 4 and try to get one of their late 1sts they're getting from Dallas or Chicago would be great. I'd even consider a trade to 6 or 7 so they can grab their QB in Haskins or Murray if he comes out. If we trade to 6 or 7, I'd grab N'Keal Harry (if he's projected to be taken early and fear of losing out on him), J Williams to help on OL or Greedy to put across from PP

Q Williams was a monster against Oklahoma the best offensive line in the country and he was in the backfield all night. I have no idea what you were watching

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
This number one pick must be enticing for potential Defensive Coordinators....

That being said, Bosa is the best player in the draft and I would take him

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA