Bears 28 Cardinals 13: Post Game Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Offensive Woes---Same Old Same Old System and Plan, Different Sacrificial Goat QB

1. Has CKW's offense ever been able to handle being backed up inside its own 10 yard line? How often has this offense either turned the ball over down there, or surrendered a safety?

This week---it resulted in 14 easy points for the Bears---first on Beanie Wells' inexplicable freak out at the los (line of scrimmage) and subsequent laying of the ball on the turf---(which obviously served as a poor harbinger for the game), and then on Charles Tillman's easy pick six to start the second half that basically sealed the game away right then and there.

On the Tillman interception---John Lynch was correct when he chastised Andre Roberts for not fighting back to make a play on the ball---and it is too bad really because Ryan Lindley, as poor as he was on a couple of series, had shown some improvement in this game, and nearly ended the first half with his first NFL TD on a perfectly thrown wheel route pass to Rob Housler.

But---that was all she wrote for Lindley---and as dawg aptly said, "and another one bites the dust."

Watching Lindley walk around the back of the bench area---looking very upset and alone as ever---it made me feel very sad for him, as now the latest sacrificial goat. He clearly was not ready at this stage of his career to play and/or to play well---but at least he got a taste of victory last week when the defense provided the winning margin and all Lindley had to do was make sure he handed the ball off and threw the customary CKW two yard passes on third and longs.

2. Again---going into the game knowing that third down conversions are what is keeping the offense from mounting any semblance of a TD drive (no TD passes since what?---the Green Bay game? from then sacrificial goat deluxe John Skelton who actually had a plus 300 yard passing game that day)--- So what was the answer to solving the third down conversion woes? Again, a plethora of two yard passes on third and 8, resulting in 3/15. This is why the Cardinals have now the fifth lowest 3rd down conversion ratio in NFL history, since the NFL started recording the stat. And yet we watch the same old, same old every single week.

At least Brian Hoyer, who showed some good signs all things considered, threw a perfectly zipped "out pass" to Fitz for a rare 4th down conversion---when usually the call the coaches make is the skinny post to Fitz that 4 defenders are sitting on every time.

But worst of all---after converting the 4th and 1---moments later, now having driven inside the Bears' 50, down 28-6 and time running out, CKW elects to punt of 4th and 8---just when it looked like Hoyer was mounting a drive.

Guess what---you can't score a TD if you kick the ball, or if you bet even earlier in the game that Jay Feely can outrace the Bear's ST MLB on a 15 yard run (5 behind the los and then 10 to the sticks).

These are two of the many reasons why we need another coach making these calls. Calls like these are completely unacceptable.

3. Again---how any coach could leave Nate Potter one-on-one with All-World DE Julius Peppers in 4-5 key third down passing situations is beyond all logic.

But---this is exactly what this type of negligence does to kill the offense---you see, it speeds the whole tempo up for the QB---who can't possibly get comfortable or into a rhythm....and it entices the QB to rush his passes and force passes into congested areas---we have seen this from EVERY CKW QB the last three years---and yet there still is no help being offered---still.

Look at it this way---do you remember playing PacMan?

Well, at regular speed, you had a good chance to escape from the swarming goonies, particularly up the middle or through the side exits---because there was time enough to do so.

Now---did you ever play PacMan at full speed? It is virtually impossible to last more than 30 seconds---because it forces you to panic and the next thing you know you are either running right into the goonies themselves or they are trapping you helplessly in a corner.

Ken Whisenhunt has done so little to try to keep his QBs erect and well protected that it's no wonder why these QB get shell-shocked and injured (physically and mentally)---maybe this is exactly what Kurt Warner was referring to when he said, "This just isn't fun for me anymore."

4. Talking about having fun---we see the Cardinals' defense and STs having all kinds of fun---but look at the offense---I worry that after this season Andre Roberts will have a permanent scowl on his face. These guys are all tight as drums and are getting beaten like drums. Even Larry Fitzgerald who loves this game with a passion looks borderline disinterested. This isn't an NFL offense (did you see the guy next to his wife in the stands with the paper bag over his head that said: "All I Want for Christmas is a Real NFL Offense"?)---no this isn't a real NFL offense---it's a real NFO offense, Not Fun Offense---no real energy or passion---no leadership either, sadly. Not from the coaches and not from the players.

I mean who would you name the MVP of this offense?

The closest player I could think of is the team's leading rusher,LaRod Stephens-Howling, who, despite his diminutive size, plays his arse off at 100% no matter what.

The good news was the passes were spread around---Hoyer tried to make Andre Roberts his version of Wes Welker and Roberts came alive a little there, as did Michael Floyd who caught 6 balls for 47 yards---and alas nearly incurring 6 possible concussions for being held up by one Bear defender and blasted away by another. And finally Fitz broke the 100 yard barrier for the first time since Week 3, with 8 catches for 111 yards.

5. The bad news---the Cardinals proved once again why they are 32nd in the NFL in rushing, posting a pathetic 19 carries for 29 yards. The one bright run---William Powell for 7 yards. Take that away and they went 18/22.

Defense Dogged the Pass---Dogged it on the Run (Again)

1. Speaking of rushing, only rushing defense---not good again for the Cardinals, as they dropped to 28th in the NFL.

One stat that might say it all: FB Anthony Sherman had as many tackles as Darnell Dockett and Adrian Wilson combined. Two. Dockett and Wilson played almost the entire game---and the Bears rushed 33 times for 152 yards. Dan Williams had 4 tackles and Sam Acho had 3. None of the SOLBers had any---Groves, none. So Dan Williams, who plays part-time, had more tackles than Dockett, Wilson and Groves combined---that's three full-time starters.

2. The good news---Calais Campbell who gets my vote for co-defensive MVP with Daryl Washington, played his ever-living tail off, recording 8 tackles, 1 sack, numerous pressures and a near blocked punt. Campbell deserves to go to the Pro Bowl, as does Washington.

Good news too to see the effort Patrick Peterson put forth in defending Brandon Marshall. That was great theater---and was a game-within-the-game in itself. 6 catches for 68 yards and 1 TD is a testament to PP's effort---although the effort on Marshall's backbreaking end of the half TD was alas by far PP's worst of the day...he had inside help from Rhodes, what he didn't have was any outside help and he jumped the route inside anyway and then made no effort to recover.

Equally egregious on that play was the total lack of effort from DE Darnell Dockett who made no effort whatsoever to rush Cutler, who wound up passing with no pressure on him to Dockett's side. If you go back and look you will be disgusted by what you see. It was like playing thud at practice. Dockett just stood there fully locked and engaged by the guard. He had quit on the play from the beginning.

Very poor too was the effort of the entire defense on Matt Forte's 4 yard TD run. As much as you have to like Paris Lenon's perseverance---he's not making the big plays that linebackers need to make in those situations.

Kerry Rhodes is making plays when he plays up. He has been a bright spot this year, no question...best of all when he plays up....which was harder for Horton to do yesterday with Rashad Johnson out.

Special Teams Special Right to the End:

Congratulations to Dave Zastudil for setting an NFL record for punts inside the 20 and for going over the 100 punt mark (dubious distinction---but it's not his fault).

The Money Mike thrill on the muffed punt was sensational even if it was called back. That was a fun ride while it lasted. You have to love Money Mike.

Peterson had a couple of nice punt returns, finally....sans the sleeves.

But best of all, Adrian Wilson when all the chips are down shows his true character and blocks the FG---and Justin Bethel who has been excellent on STs, especially the last few weeks, takes it to the house.

Sad State of Affairs in The House:

To hear all the Bears' fans whooping it up in our house---which goes to show how bad things have gotten in Glendale---very reminiscent of past years at Sun Devil Stadium when the opposing team's fans would claim the stadium as a 9th Home game.

The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come---showed us all yesterday what the Cardinals are heading for if the Bidwills do not come to their senses this Christmas.

The 49ers Game---Setting the Tone for 2013 and Beyond:

It means a lot, imo.

I meant what i said last night---get CKW, Miller, Grimm and McNulty away from this team---put Horton in charge and have Reich orchestrate the offense and call the plays.

If that were to happen---I guarantee you, the effort of this football team versus SF would be off the charts.

It would be like the albatross lifted from the players' necks.

Plus, we have a score to settle with the suddenly reeling 49ers, who are going to expect the Cardinals to lay down on them, just as the hapless Cardinals did two years ago when the 49ers had fired Mike Singletary and THEY (4-11) put forth an emotional, hard-fought arse-kissing of the Cardinals (5-10) that day under interim HC Jim Tomsula.

That game was the beginning of the end for the 49ers---all those years of suffering.

As crazy as this may sound to many of you, I believe this game can do the same for the Cardinals.

if you think SF is unbeatable---they couldn't beat the Rams this year, and they just got thumped by Seattle 42-13. (BTW---the Rams are a LOT better than what people give them credit for)

If CKW and his cronies coach this game---this game is going to be a woeful sight.

The only chance is to do what the 49ers did and say enough is enough, the future is now.

Last edited:

Superfuzz

Veteran
Reaction score
Dockett just doesn't wanna play for CKW anymore...I'm hoping he doesn't feel the same about RH, because he very well may be our next Head Coach...

Still, disheartening to see. We need Jarvis Jones on our D BADLY...then our D could truly hang with the big boys. Not consistent enough or consistent an edge rush to place them with the elites quite yet. And oh, that run defense...:sad:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its been a repeat performance of the team for most of the season. Your writeup could have been the same for many of the games just with different names at qb. Its been a very depressed season especially watching what I think is one of the worst offenses that I have ever seen and I'm 70 years old.

Michael Bidwill has already gone on record that there will be no changes until after the season so nothing will happen this week. If he doesn't clean house starting with Graves and Whisenhunt, he will lose a significant part of the fan base. The magic of the new stadium and Super Bowl run are now just memories and the image of "same old Cardinals" is back in fashion.

This will be a real test of Michael Bidwill.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff here Mitch.

How do you go for a 4th and 1 down 3 scores, then not a 4th and 8 after converting (with a nice down-the-field back-shoulder pass to Fitz, no less)? Whiz is quitting. That's not OK. I've been slow to criticize him, but this is becoming clear.

The other Whiz issue that gets me, is that I have never heard him take blame. Always the players are faulted. Listen to an Andy Reid presser: "I was outcoached, I take the blame, I have to do better."

I, too, felt for Lindley. He looked so lost, just pacing on the sidelines. He's just too young, not ready, and it is really questionable whether he ever would be. On that note, however, our propensity for looking for big armed qbs with no accuracy in confounding. I'm tired of hearing accuracy can be fixed with proper mechanics. It can't.

Also agree with you positives on D and Special Teams.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take away the 2 Bear defensive TD's and we're in a 14 - 13 squeaker.

When Lindley was in there, I never had the feeling he had enough juice to hit a big-gainer or at least put together 2 medium-sized pass completions back to back. I don't put this entirely on Lindley's shoulders - it's not as if the OL was giving him the help he needed.

Not that he was that much better, but Hoyer looked more like he knew what he was doing, was more accurate and seemed less flustered than Lindley.

Our RB's looked poorly coached or just plain dumb protecting the ball deep in our territory.

I love our defense to death, but they shouldn't get off Scott free giving up 152 rushing yards. What happened?

The usual suspects on defense played well - plus kudos to Bethel, Zasty and Mike A. on ST's.

We're lucky to have PP21, but top receivers will always win their share of battles.

We can debate all decade whether our key problems are at QB, OL, RB or coaching, but my perception is that if we fix a couple of things by a factor of 2, the improvement to the team will be by a factor of 10. The challenge will be for the right people to figure out which couple of things to fix and how to fix them.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard