AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first BCS poll comes out today.

OU
Miami
VTech

will be top 3 in that order

Nov 1 is Miami v VTech...winner likely gets to get pummelled by OU for the championship (although I think VTech could give OU some fits).

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
IMO, neither of those two will be capable competitors for Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is by far the best team in college football, and no team even has the right to be ranked #2, since #2 is way too close to Oklahoma.

It should be:
Oklahoma #1
Miami #6
Va. Tech #7

:D

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

Oklahoma is by far the best team in college football, and no team even has the right to be ranked #2, since #2 is way too close to Oklahoma.

It should be:
Oklahoma #1
Miami #6
Va. Tech #7

I was talking to a friend this weekend and we were trying to figure out a college team as dominant as OU has been in recent memory. We came up with a couple but neither of us thought any team in recent memory has been as good as OU, They are simply a wrecking crew.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

It should be:
Oklahoma #1
Miami #6
Va. Tech #7

Agreed.
After OU, there are about 20 teams that could be #2 - Miami is not that much better than the rest of the top 25, as they showed with their struggles with weak teams like West Virginia.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
I was talking to a friend this weekend and we were trying to figure out a college team as dominant as OU has been in recent memory. We came up with a couple but neither of us thought any team in recent memory has been as good as OU, They are simply a wrecking crew.

The '95 Huskers. Best team ever.

Here's some others...
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/colfootball/teams/best.html

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Purdue gettin' some love at #8. Imagine if they hadn't choked to Bowling Green (!?!?!). If they can beat Michigan in the Big House this weekend I don't see how you couldn't consider them a legitimate contender.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
Purdue gettin' some love at #8. Imagine if they hadn't choked to Bowling Green (!?!?!). If they can beat Michigan in the Big House this weekend I don't see how you couldn't consider them a legitimate contender.

Since they lost to Bowling Green (or did they?), they have no shot at winning anything.

It sucks, but that's the reality of college football, and honestly that's what makes it all fun. If they can run the table, they have a small chance, but thats assuming that Miami and Va. Tech lose, which is unlikely.

Mediocrity is not accepted, only perfection. :thumbup:

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
A screwup to Bowling Green (!?!?!) is inexcusable, and I know it will cost them (rightfully so) the National Championship, but a BCS Bowl is all I'm asking for.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

First, the MAC doesn't get near the credit they deserve...another poopy thing about the BCS IMO.

In order to play for the championship, a team must go undefeated HOWEVER Purdue could beat Michigan and have the inside track on the Rose Bowl...a big payout BCS bowl game.

I wouldn't be too confident about going to Ann Arbvor and winning though. Tough game and the Boilermakers will have to play an A level game to win there.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bowling Green is a very good team - they would be top 20 rated right now if they played in a BcS conference. The MAC as a whole has some great teams - NIU, Bowling Green, Marshall, Miami (O) and Toledo are all top-25 worthy.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
Bowling Green is a very good team - they would be top 20 rated right now if they played in a BcS conference. The MAC as a whole has some great teams - NIU, Bowling Green, Marshall, Miami (O) and Toledo are all top-25 worthy.

NIU has beaten Maryland, Alabama and Iowa State this year. And if they run the table? Dec 26 bowl game with a $750,000 payout. Pathetic. If they run the table, they deserve a BCS slot and big payout...but alas money talks.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Purdue in Rose Bowl here...although they lose:

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1768770

Oct. 20, 2003 9:40 a.m.

Do-over: A re-preview reprieve

It's shameless, and I know it, but I've found a way to get Auburn, TSN's preseason No. 1, back into the thick of things-as the facilitator of an SEC rival's national title dreams. Here we go: The Tigers go 7-1 in the SEC, losing only to Georgia in Athens, the first loss for Aubie at Georgia since 1991. The Dawgs then win the rematch in the SEC championship game and advance to the Sugar Bowl to play Oklahoma. Thank goodness for the Sooners; at least one of my original Sugar Bowl picks was solid. I think.

Two months ago, my forecast also called for Michigan over Washington in the Rose Bowl, Ohio State over Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl and Miami over Virginia in the Orange Bowl. OK, so I didn't quite nail it. My updated picks:

Sugar: Oklahoma over Georgia
Orange: Virginia Tech over Florida State
Fiesta: Washington State over Miami
Rose: Southern Cal over Purdue

Staff writer Matt Hayes covers college football for Sporting News. Email him at [email protected] and include your name and location.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
Big schools would never let it happen.

I don't think it is even possible even if the big schools didn't throw a hissy fit about it. BCS is tied with the Big 6 conferences and ND (NIU would kill ND :D ) so NIU has little chance unless a bowl took a flyer.

No reason for that though since NIU probably doesn't travel all that great simply due to school size.

Too bad though. If the MAC keeps improving, there will come a point where they earn the respect.