Batgirl (Joss Whedon)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a coup for the DCEU Joss Whedon will be writing and directing and standalone Batgirl movie. IMO, this is great news for the DCEU. You get a guy who is all about girl power has a proven track record about writing for young powerful women and huge hits on his resume from the MCU.

I normally would have balked at the mere thought of adding Batgirl to the DCEU. Especially, with the crap that DC has put out there so far. However, if Whedon is on, sign me up now.

It will be interesting to see if you get any cameos from the other films.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what he does. Whedon likes unknowns but obviously the studio is probably going to want a name. I am curious how much the studio had to "give up" to convince him to do this movie in terms of creative control.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be very interesting. Joss Whedon and Christopher Nolan have earned enough credibility where I will see anything they do regardless of the topic.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we should be looking for brunettes that can pull off short hairstyles because I seem to recall Batgirl's red hair being a wig. She actually had a pretty good disguise for that era of crime-fighters. :lol:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've been saying, ever since he left Marvel, that DC needs to do anything they can to get Joss. I thought maybe there had been a non-compete clause in his contract with Marvel, but apparently not. Smart move by DC.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batgirl Movie from Joss Whedon reportedly based on New 52

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...eportedly-based-on-new-52#SLw6iMp5VxcwocXh.99

Yesterday, Joss Whedon (Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly) broke the internet when it was announced that he had signed on to write, direct and produce a Batgirl movie for Warner Bros. and DC Films. Now Entertainment Weekly has some more details about the film, which they say will be based specifically on the New 52 version of the character from fan-fav writer Gail Simone.

Begun in 2011, the New 52 Batgirl was Barbara Gordon after she had recovered from The Joker shooting her in the spine (as depicted in Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke) due to experimental surgery. Although still haunted by the event, she’s out of the wheelchair and back on the streets fighting crime. Besides the great writing of Simone, one aspect that may have drawn the very progressive Whedon to the series is its introduction of Alysia Yeoh, the first openly transgender character in a mainstream comic book and Barbara’s best friend. Like that run of the comics, the Batgirl movie is expected to carry a gritty tone, and hopefully will also include Ben Affleck’s Batman and J.K. Simmons’ Commissioner Gordon.

It’s confirmed that Whedon’s Batgirl movie will be part of the ever-evolving DC Extended Universe that includes the upcoming Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman and The Batman solo film, as well as another female-centric entry in David Ayer’s Gotham City Sirens.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batgirl Movie from Joss Whedon reportedly based on New 52

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...eportedly-based-on-new-52#SLw6iMp5VxcwocXh.99

Yesterday, Joss Whedon (Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly) broke the internet when it was announced that he had signed on to write, direct and produce a Batgirl movie for Warner Bros. and DC Films. Now Entertainment Weekly has some more details about the film, which they say will be based specifically on the New 52 version of the character from fan-fav writer Gail Simone.

Begun in 2011, the New 52 Batgirl was Barbara Gordon after she had recovered from The Joker shooting her in the spine (as depicted in Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke) due to experimental surgery. Although still haunted by the event, she’s out of the wheelchair and back on the streets fighting crime. Besides the great writing of Simone, one aspect that may have drawn the very progressive Whedon to the series is its introduction of Alysia Yeoh, the first openly transgender character in a mainstream comic book and Barbara’s best friend. Like that run of the comics, the Batgirl movie is expected to carry a gritty tone, and hopefully will also include Ben Affleck’s Batman and J.K. Simmons’ Commissioner Gordon.

It’s confirmed that Whedon’s Batgirl movie will be part of the ever-evolving DC Extended Universe that includes the upcoming Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman and The Batman solo film, as well as another female-centric entry in David Ayer’s Gotham City Sirens.

This actually makes sense if they are trying to connect the cinematic universe. We already know that in the current movie-verse that this is a "future" timeline. Makes sense that this would be post Batgirl being shot.

I think this also means they are looking for a more mature actress to play the part verses someone super young though right? She spent time as Oracle after getting shot unless that is all out the window?!? Not familiar with that particular comic.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have much rather Joss direct a standalone ScarJo Widow movie. Both he and her said they'd be all over that if it was ever seriously offered.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have much rather Joss direct a standalone ScarJo Widow movie. Both he and her said they'd be all over that if it was ever seriously offered.

I would love to see that too. No doubt but this is right up Joss's alley so to speak.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

He's done with Marvel. When Feige interfered over Age of Ultron, resulting in the mess we saw, Joss was all out. Feige wanted to cut the whole farmhouse sequence--an idiot tinkering where he should NOT be tinkering.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wondering if this is a precursor to Whedon taking over the universe from Snyder.

If so, this is probably the best move they could've made. Although, is it too late because of Justice League?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering if this is a precursor to Whedon taking over the universe from Snyder.

If so, this is probably the best move they could've made. Although, is it too late because of Justice League?

That would be the best thing that could happen. Snyder is a disaster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel like Justice League could bottom out this universe.

I mean, is anyone really EXCITED to see that? Feel like it's going down the same road as Sony's First Spidey-reboot attempt. First movie did solid business because it was spider, but it sucked and yeah second one made considerably less. Feel like that could be the scenario here unless for some crazy reason Justice League actually ends up being good.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's done with Marvel. When Feige interfered over Age of Ultron, resulting in the mess we saw, Joss was all out. Feige wanted to cut the whole farmhouse sequence--an idiot tinkering where he should NOT be tinkering.

I read only a month or two ago he'd do it if offered. He's really interested in the project, the character and ScarJo. The only thing keeping him from doing it is Marvel.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read only a month or two ago he'd do it if offered. He's really interested in the project, the character and ScarJo. The only thing keeping him from doing it is Marvel.

Disney/Marvel made comments about other properties (including TRON for example) and said they only have so many open slots. They are not willing to take financial risks on any movies that are not guaranteed money makers because they have so many of those in the pipeline. They probably consider Black Widow more of a risk verses standalones with the more popular characters.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That would be the best thing that could happen. Snyder is a disaster.
Yeah, this.

Disney/Marvel made comments about other properties (including TRON for example) and said they only have so many open slots. They are not willing to take financial risks on any movies that are not guaranteed money makers because they have so many of those in the pipeline. They probably consider Black Widow more of a risk verses standalones with the more popular characters.
Which sucks because I don't want to wait another 30yrs for TRON!! Disney fubar'd Uprising so bad, I'm not holding out hope.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's painfully obvious that Disney/Marvel are taking their risks in television, not film. And it is starting to really backfire on them. They haven't had a good series since arguably Jessica Jones. Luke Cage, Iron Fist and SHIELD are all failures as far as they are concerned.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's painfully obvious that Disney/Marvel are taking their risks in television, not film. And it is starting to really backfire on them. They haven't had a good series since arguably Jessica Jones. Luke Cage, Iron Fist and SHIELD are all failures as far as they are concerned.

Love Shield and they have kept it around because critics like it, it allows them to tie the universes together even if it's not a ratings winner. Luke Cage was a mixed bag for me. At times found myself utterly bored and other times thought it was good. Iron Fist is just a big disappointment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jessica Jones was pretty mediocre also, IMO.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Agree, and even with the movies, I've just had enough Marvel. For all the critical praise they get there is ZERO drama in any of those films. Just way too cute for my taste. You know for a bunch of people fighting SUPER VILLAINS all the time, they sure have a solid track record of never losing and never suffering any casualties. lol Nobody important ever dies and anyone who you believe has died just comes back.

I like DC heroes so much better than Marvel. IMO Captain America is the lamest, most overrated superhero IMO along with being a huge hypocrite. I care not for Spidey either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose