Ballard retires

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Bethel, but has anyone seen him play as a CB? I might be wrong and he has, but never heard anything about it. I can't wait to see it in action, but how can anyone claim he will be a CB3 when we never seen him play that position?

He was playing with the first team on Friday when I was at practice. I had to check my roster to figure out who #28 was because he kept making great plays while in coverage. At first I assumed he was Cromartie. I was really surprised when I realized it was Bethel.

He was on Ted Ginn like glue all day.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over Matthieu? I don't see it. I'm not 100% on Bethel's potential, either. Lots of hype this offseason, and the coaches certainly have a better idea than I do, but I'll want to see it for myself.

HB is better suited as FS. If Bethel can take the nickel CB role that is one athletic and high football IQ unit.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
HB is better suited as FS. If Bethel can take the nickel CB role that is one athletic and high football IQ unit.

Based on what? From what I saw last season, Matthieu is a much bigger weapon when he's closer to the line of scrimmage. The more you as him to play on the back if his heels, I think you're playing away from his strengths.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He was playing with the first team on Friday when I was at practice. I had to check my roster to figure out who #28 was because he kept making great plays while in coverage. At first I assumed he was Cromartie. I was really surprised when I realized it was Bethel.

He was on Ted Ginn like glue all day.

That's great to hear, but and I hope he does well. I just am not sure about him yet till I see him in a real game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A secondary that boasts Peterson, Cromartie, Bethel, and Powers at CB
and which has Bucannon, Mathieu, Jefferson, and Johnson at S
will be stunning to behold.

The secondary doesn't stand alone. This will be the best top to bottom team the Arizona Cardinals have ever fielded.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A secondary that boasts Peterson, Cromartie, Bethel, and Powers at CB
and which has Bucannon, Mathieu, Jefferson, and Johnson at S
will be stunning to behold.

The secondary doesn't stand alone. This will be the best top to bottom team the Arizona Cardinals have ever fielded.

Now all we need is Foote and Minter just to play decent and this will be a scary D!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what? From what I saw last season, Matthieu is a much bigger weapon when he's closer to the line of scrimmage. The more you as him to play on the back if his heels, I think you're playing away from his strengths.

Based on his ability to diagnose plays and react. He had several big plays playing from the FS position. Playing FS is not an on-the-heels position, it's a playmaker position where you have the luxury of diagnosing and breaking on plays. Yes, Mathieu is great in the nickel, and excels when brought up in the box as well, but FS gives the best field view and luxury of moving around based on personnel on the field. He's one of the quickest guys to diagnose plays I've seen and in slowmo you can see him moving in the right direction before other players even twitch. At the FS position, he may have a bit more ground to cover but he also has a better vantage point. He played a lot of both last year.

IF you have another fast, highly athletic CB who can make plays, you want to have that guy on the field WITH Mathieu rather than sitting at CB4 and coming in for dime packages. Peterson, Cromartie, Mathieu, Bethel are all very, very athletic and all have high football IQ. Add Deone at SS with a knack for hitting, and that's a wildly entertaining secondary.

Which is why I'm most interested in seeing if Bethel is doing as well as it's been said, and why I do feel he's a potential difference maker...not because he himself will be off the charts, but due to HB's versatility we could boast the best overall secondary in the league (which would come in handy when not having a strong pass rush).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ballard’s retirement was not a surprise to Arians. “I was in pain watching him trying to make it through practice,” the coach said. Ballard’s last MRI showed bone-on-bone, and Ballard’s future in the NFL was grim. “Hate to see it because he has such a passion for the game,” Arians said. “But it was the right move.”

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/08/07/b-a-talks-sims-badger-coop/

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn