Ballard retires

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Weird. All I heard was that he was doing really well. High on the depth chart too. I guess Houslers job is safe and Fells will certainly make the team now.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't see this coming. I think a little of it has to do with the amount of TEs the cards have and of course his knee.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Didn't see this coming. I think a little of it has to do with the amount of TEs the cards have and of course his knee.

Probably the latter. If he were fully healthy and cut, he'd latch on with another team. He's a good guy and a decent player.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably the latter. If he were fully healthy and cut, he'd latch on with another team. He's a good guy and a decent player.

True. I guess his knee is still not feeling as good as he wanted it to be.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Very surprising.

Too bad, wish him the best.

This offseason has been a little bit too negative for me personally, and the team hasn't even made it to the 1st preseason game.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I can guess, somehow I think he wanted to get out of the way for Fells. Knowing he's on the way up and learning, while Ballard probably knew he was on his last legs.

Might end up being the best thing long term for the Cards if Fells works out and is decently productive for a few years.

Obviously just a guess, but sometimes the guys around you mean something, and some people might not want to get in another guy's way if they know they are about to check out. He probably knew coming in this would be at most his last year. He might not have felt as good as he wanted, and lots of guys are retiring before they get completely chewed up. David Wilson might have played a role in it. A 23 year old guy retiring, so why not Ballard?

It also might not just be Fells, but a combo of Fells, Housler, and Carlson trying to get back from concussions, not to mention Troy. All these guys with a potential future (though with Carlson's concussion less so), and Ballard decided not to get in the way.

It might not make a ton of sense, especially with the amount of money involved, but neither does retiring right now a week+ into camp without some type of injury forcing it (ACL tear, concussion, etc).

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Very surprising.

Too bad, wish him the best.

This offseason has been a little bit too negative for me personally, and the team hasn't even made it to the 1st preseason game.

That's a shame. FWIW, let me give you a little pep talk:

This Arizona Cardinals offense is the best since they came to Arizona.

I know that's a big claim, but this offense is better than the Warner offense in the late 2000s.

Yes, there's a steep step down at quarterback, but Michael Floyd is a better WR than Anquan Boldin at that time in his career. Ted Ginn is going to be at least as good as Steve Breaston was, and if he's not, I think that John Brown might be. And Ellington is better than James/Wells/Hightower.

I shouldn't even have to talk about the difference between the offensive lines. And how about tight end? Who was the starting tight end for our Super Bowl team? I think it was Fred Wakefield. Apparently it was Leonard Pope. Leonard Pope back then wouldn't have made it to 2014 Arizona Cardinals training camp.

While the linebacking corps has lost some fan favorites, keep this in mind: the defensive line--the foundation for the defense--is better than its ever been. Dan Williams in a contract year. Darnell Dockett in an effective contract year. Calais Campbell trying to break through and show that he's the 3-4 DE C-class to J.J. Watt's S-class.

And do you want to talk about the secondary? I do, because we're not talking about it as much as we should be. Jerroud Powers got picked on last year, but he didn't make anyone regret the decision to do so. He's been replaced by Antonio Cromartie, one of the best #2 cornerbacks in the NFL, who regularly gave opposing quarterbacks a Sophie's Choice between him and Revis Island.

Meanwhile, we have a kicking competition going on! And the most dynamic punt returner we've had since Patrick Peterson decided that he wanted to be a top corner!

Finally, we have a competent, professional coaching staff who know what they're doing.

If I can guess, somehow I think he wanted to get out of the way for Fells. Knowing he's on the way up and learning, while Ballard probably knew he was on his last legs.

Might end up being the best thing long term for the Cards if Fells works out and is decently productive for a few years.

Obviously just a guess, but sometimes the guys around you mean something, and some people might not want to get in another guy's way if they know they are about to check out. He probably knew coming in this would be at most his last year.

It also might not just be Fells, but a combo of Fells, Housler, and Carlson trying to get back from concussions, not to mention Troy. All these guys with a potential future (though with Carlson's concussion less so), and Ballard decided not to get in the way.

It might not make a ton of sense, especially with the amount of money involved, but neither does retiring right now a week+ into camp without some type of injury forcing it.

There's a six-figure payday involved for Ballard if he made it through camp. I doubt that he's just being a good guy.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May sound bad, but Housler getting a better chance of not getting cut now.....

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know that's a big claim, but this offense is better than the Warner offense in the late 2000s.

Yes, there's a steep step down at quarterback, but Michael Floyd is a better WR than Anquan Boldin at that time in his career. Ted Ginn is going to be at least as good as Steve Breaston was, and if he's not, I think that John Brown might be. And Ellington is better than James/Wells/Hightower.

I shouldn't even have to talk about the difference between the offensive lines. And how about tight end? Who was the starting tight end for our Super Bowl team? I think it was Fred Wakefield. Apparently it was Leonard Pope. Leonard Pope back then wouldn't have made it to 2014 Arizona Cardinals training camp.

While the linebacking corps has lost some fan favorites, keep this in mind: the defensive line--the foundation for the defense--is better than its ever been. Dan Williams in a contract year. Darnell Dockett in an effective contract year. Calais Campbell trying to break through and show that he's the 3-4 DE C-class to J.J. Watt's S-class.

And do you want to talk about the secondary? I do, because we're not talking about it as much as we should be. Jerroud Powers got picked on last year, but he didn't make anyone regret the decision to do so. He's been replaced by Antonio Cromartie, one of the best #2 cornerbacks in the NFL, who regularly gave opposing quarterbacks a Sophie's Choice between him and Revis Island.

Meanwhile, we have a kicking competition going on! And the most dynamic punt returner we've had since Patrick Peterson decided that he wanted to be a top corner!

Finally, we have a competent, professional coaching staff who know what they're doing.

There's a six-figure payday involved for Ballard if he made it through camp. I doubt that he's just being a good guy.

SHHHHH :stick::stick::stick::stick::stick::stick::stick::stick::stick::stick::stick:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is definitely odd especially because it's happening around the league. Guys who will probably make the team are just suddenly retiring in camp. Anyone watch the season premier of Hard Knocks last night?

One of the Falcons just up and retired at the start of camp. No explanation other than his body didn't "feel right" and no plans for the future. Mike Smith and the team seemed totally baffled and blindsided by this decision.

Normally it would be nothing to see here, guys call it quit in the NFL all the time, except...

What I found really interesting is that he didn't (and pretty much refused) to talk to any of his teammates about it, and when the guy went to go tell Mike Smith his decision he was wearing T shirt with NFLPA in bold letters across the front. That had to be a statement of some kind. It cant just be a coincidence that out of all the clothes he had to wear, knowing he was going to be on HBO, he chose to wear the Players Union shirt.

I have a feeling that either some of these guys are thinking of banding together for another lawsuit, or maybe they figure they better get out now and try to get their hands on the settlement money from last year? Might have nothing to do with Ballard, but it's definitely odd that alot of these established (young) guys are just quitting out of the blue.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed.

Just seems like they are getting some rotten luck before preseason game 1.

Once the games start we will see if any of the bad news effects the field. Till then it is just noise.

Happy to see you keyed up about the season, tho, and don't get me wrong, I am psyched for the game this weekend.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
kerouac - I say this in all seriousness... I think that's the most positive thing I have ever seen you post. It's kind of cool. Your knowledge is unquestioned but sometimes your delivery is a bit dark... it's nice to see all that football IQ being used for the powers of good. Not unfounded ra ra ra but specific, positive points.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He wasn't on the recently posted depth chart, from what I remember.

(Ooops!... just checked and he was #1)

Last edited:
Reaction score
kerouac - I say this in all seriousness... I think that's the most positive thing I have ever seen you post. It's kind of cool. Your knowledge is unquestioned but sometimes your delivery is a bit dark... it's nice to see all that football IQ being used for the powers of good. Not unfounded ra ra ra but specific, positive points.

+1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Good post and there are a few other developments to check out:

1) Does Justin Bethel take the next step and move up from being a star special teamer to become a defensive contributor. If he can apply the skill and athleticism that we've seen on special teams, Bethel could become a pro bowl cornerback.

2) The battle for playing time between Alex Okafor and Sam Acho, former college teammates. I think both are solid NFL players, but the question is, does one of them take the next step this year? I hope it's Okafor; we control his rights longer and wouldn't have to pay him as soon.

3)I like Ballard, but this also clears out a log jam. I think Carlson is a superior player and Nikklas will be, but this opens the door for Fells to make the team and for the Cardinals to keep Housler and to use him the way he needs to be used, as a move tight end in subpackages.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In this offseason-preseason We had 2 players of 26 ritired from nfl.
Pretty weird

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post and there are a few other developments to check out:

1) Does Justin Bethel take the next step and move up from being a star special teamer to become a defensive contributor. If he can apply the skill and athleticism that we've seen on special teams, Bethel could become a pro bowl cornerback.

For me, that is the potential piece of the puzzle that could turn this into a special team (no pun intended).

Bethel has the skillset to really do major damage in a CB crew that boasts PP and Cro. If Bethel can own the nickel it will be huge for this team. Especially with his uncanny ability to make the tackle. Run support and coverage.

I'm really interested in JB this preseason, probably more than any other player out there. He's, IMO, the biggest wild card.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For me, that is the potential piece of the puzzle that could turn this into a special team (no pun intended).

Bethel has the skillset to really do major damage in a CB crew that boasts PP and Cro. If Bethel can own the nickel it will be huge for this team. Especially with his uncanny ability to make the tackle. Run support and coverage.

I'm really interested in JB this preseason, probably more than any other player out there. He's, IMO, the biggest wild card.

I guess to me the question is how often is the 6th DB really going to be in the game? I guess that our nickel package is going to feature 3 corners and 3 safeties with Bucannon as the 3rd safety? If Bethel becomes a starting-caliber cornerback that's great for the long-term interests of the team, but I don't know if that's going to happen this year--or if it matters that much.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess to me the question is how often is the 6th DB really going to be in the game? I guess that our nickel package is going to feature 3 corners and 3 safeties with Bucannon as the 3rd safety? If Bethel becomes a starting-caliber cornerback that's great for the long-term interests of the team, but I don't know if that's going to happen this year--or if it matters that much.

If he hits his potential, he would be CB3. Our nickel is going to get a lot of time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If he hits his potential, he would be CB3. Our nickel is going to get a lot of time.

Over Matthieu? I don't see it. I'm not 100% on Bethel's potential, either. Lots of hype this offseason, and the coaches certainly have a better idea than I do, but I'll want to see it for myself.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love Bethel, but has anyone seen him play as a CB? I might be wrong and he has, but never heard anything about it. I can't wait to see it in action, but how can anyone claim he will be a CB3 when we never seen him play that position?