AZ 38 GB 8 Thoughts

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Tremendous write up Mitch!

Thanks ap11! Say---what do you think about BA's decision to go full bore against the Seahawks this week? He said this was no time to develop new habits and that the players all want to get after them. Plus he alluded to the fact that the Cardinals hadn't beaten the Seahawks at home for a few years now. Hmmm.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Nice read Mitch. A few other things hit me. When BA came over and hugged Redding, I was touched and it reminded me why the players will run through walls for BA. After more than 175 games, that was Redding's first TD. You had to notice how tightly he held the ball after scoring. At his age the chance may never come again, which is likely what he thought when he didn't score after intercepting that screen pass earlier in the year.

When Palmer missed Brown on that wide open long-gainer I felt bad for Brown as that would have given him his thousand yard season. He should get it anyway, but you never know.

Glad to see them rest DJ. I heard the Ellington needed reps excuse, but I don't buy it.

Very glad they held RJ out. The gamble on Swearinger continues to pay dividends.

Freeney's play has been hard to believe. Another great Steve Keim move. If he's not GM of the year they should retire the award.

The Cards have fast receivers and big receivers, but only one big, fast receiver. Floyd is forcing the Cards' hands on his contract.

The O-line is starting to look dangerous.

The defense got ripped off on the non-safety call.

The Cards have been saying they've been waiting to play a whole game up to their capabilities. I think they put that one to rest. What a great game! In 50+ years of watching, I can't recall a more complete performance by all three units.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Nice read Mitch. A few other things hit me. When BA came over and hugged Redding, I was touched and it reminded me why the players will run through walls for BA. After more than 175 games, that was Redding's first TD. You had to notice how tightly he held the ball after scoring. At his age the chance may never come again, which is likely what he thought when he didn't score after intercepting that screen pass earlier in the year.

When Palmer missed Brown on that wide open long-gainer I felt bad for Brown as that would have given him his thousand yard season. He should get it anyway, but you never know.

Glad to see them rest DJ. I heard the Ellington needed reps excuse, but I don't buy it.

Very glad they held RJ out. The gamble on Swearinger continues to pay dividends.

Freeney's play has been hard to believe. Another great Steve Keim move. If he's not GM of the year they should retire the award.

The Cards have fast receivers and big receivers, but only one big, fast receiver. Floyd is forcing the Cards' hands on his contract.

The O-line is starting to look dangerous.

The defense got ripped off on the non-safety call.

The Cards have been saying they've been waiting to play a whole game up to their capabilities. I think they put that one to rest. What a great game! In 50+ years of watching, I can't recall a more complete performance by all three units.

Excellent points, Harry.

Floyd is starting to validate the $7M option for next year. That said, I think Steve Keim will try to sign him long-term in order to free up some cap space for next year, and in light if the fact that Fitz's contract is up after next year.

If Fitz keeps playing at this level or close to this level, it will be interesting to see what kind of salary he would command in 2017 and whether at that point the Cardinals will be able to fit him under the cap. They will do everything they can---but they have some big contracts to consider in 2017---Honey Badger's being the biggest.

What did you think of the job Jerraud Powers did, essentially in Honey Badger's role? He too is a player whom BA would love to re-sign, but will they be able to re-sign him and Rashad Johnson?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elite. Nuff Said :)

... Trying to resist the temptation to dredge up certain references to Landry Jones and possibly the "conference's best team", the Rams.

At that time, those of us who already though the Cardinals were a "Legit title contenders" were told to "Take your eyes off the stat sheet and watch some games." Well i was watching the games my eyes told me that the Cardinals WERE "Legit title contenders" who at that time had had a few lapses where they hadn't played up to their capabilities.

To try to keep this positive, I will make this question the point of my post: Has anything really changed since November 2nd - the midpoint of the season - to transform the Cardinals from "not" being a "Legit title contender" to now being "elite"? If so, what changed or what adjustments were responsible for the "turnaround"?

Or have they simply cut down on their mistakes a bit through good coaching and preparation, and played more consistently up to their talent level? Were they "legit" all along?

I think it's the latter. Both the stat sheet and most of our eyes backed it up then as well as now. And i'm lovin' it!

...dave

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I was pleased with Powers' performance. I think it's unlikely they can afford him even though CB will be a need position. The Bethel contract seemed to seal that deal. If I'm right they can save some cap room with a few cuts, but they've got to try to add a pass rusher and extend Floryd. If Powers will take less he could stay, but I wouldn't bet in it.

Daves, I've got to disagree. I think the Cards were a long shot last year to go all the way even before the Palmer injury. By the last third of the season the defense looked vulnerable, especially Peterson. He looked spent. He's been ready to play every game this year. While Willaims had a couple nice games, the running game wasn't much of a threat. DJ is now a threat to score on every play from any place on the field. In the last few games, Iupati has looked like the player the Cards thought he would be. They have a legitimate power running game.

Last year the Cards were specializing in miracle finishes. Last year's team was competitive; this year's team is often dominant. It's fair to say last year's team could have won it all. I'd peg this year's team as the favorite to win it all. This year's team has started to learn how to put people away. That's partly a maturity issue. Last year's team thought they could win; this year's team knows they should win.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'd peg this year's team as the favorite to win it all. This year's team has started to learn how to put people away. That's partly a maturity issue. Last year's team thought they could win; this year's team knows they should win.

I think this year's team against any other team NOT the Patriots would be the favorite... But I'm pretty sure if a Cards vs Pats Super Bowl transpired, the Cards would be the underdog...

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daves, I've got to disagree.

Harry,

Thanks for responding! I agree with everything you said and always look forward to reading your posts!.

But i was referring to claims at the mid point of THIS season that the Cardinals were NOT a "Legit title contender" because they had lost to Landry Jones.

...dave

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
... Trying to resist the temptation to dredge up certain references to Landry Jones and possibly the "conference's best team", the Rams.

At that time, those of us who already though the Cardinals were a "Legit title contenders" were told to "Take your eyes off the stat sheet and watch some games." Well i was watching the games my eyes told me that the Cardinals WERE "Legit title contenders" who at that time had had a few lapses where they hadn't played up to their capabilities.

To try to keep this positive, I will make this question the point of my post: Has anything really changed since November 2nd - the midpoint of the season - to transform the Cardinals from "not" being a "Legit title contender" to now being "elite"? If so, what changed or what adjustments were responsible for the "turnaround"?

Or have they simply cut down on their mistakes a bit through good coaching and preparation, and played more consistently up to their talent level? Were they "legit" all along?

I think it's the latter. Both the stat sheet and most of our eyes backed it up then as well as now. And i'm lovin' it!

...dave

:grabs:

P.S. we need a <Zing!> emoticon.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think this year's team against any other team NOT the Patriots would be the favorite... But I'm pretty sure if a Cards vs Pats Super Bowl transpired, the Cards would be the underdog...

right now vegas has the Cards as the odds on favorite to win it all............Pats are second

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Odds to Win 2015 Super Bowl L (2/7/16)

Team

Odds

Arizona Cardinals 17/5
New England Patriots 7/2
Carolina Panthers 11/2
Seattle Seahawks 6/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 10/1
Cincinnati Bengals 12/1
Denver Broncos 12/1
Kansas City Chiefs 18/1
Green Bay Packers 20/1

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
right now vegas has the Cards as the odds on favorite to win it all............Pats are second

Odds to Win 2015 Super Bowl L (2/7/16)

Team

Odds

Arizona Cardinals 17/5
New England Patriots 7/2
Carolina Panthers 11/2
Seattle Seahawks 6/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 10/1
Cincinnati Bengals 12/1
Denver Broncos 12/1
Kansas City Chiefs 18/1
Green Bay Packers 20/1

Interesting... But my hunch is that if the Pats and Cards were to meet, the odds would've swung over to the Pats.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:grabs:

P.S. we need a <Zing!> emoticon.

Heh, i'm trying to steer it away from being a zing and toward a legitimate discussion of what, if anything, changed during the bye week to transform the Cardinals into a "Legit title contender". Or on the other hand, whether the stats and my eyes were right and the Cardinals were "elite" all along despite a couple of lulls, which even "Legit title contenders" can have at some points in a long season.

...dbs

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
(3) Patrick Peterson was put on the WR opposite of Jones---which was usually either Davante Adams or Jared Abbrederis---and this forced Rodgers to focus on the other side of the field, save for a quick WR screen to Peterson's side, which Peterson blew up in textbook fashion, by bulldozing over Randall Cobb's block to then make a great standup tackle.

That was one of my favorite plays from that game. Peterson seemed to have enjoyed it a lot, too. :)

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I think this is the best write-up about the Cards I have ever seen. (and I am old).

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Great post! My biggest takeaway from the game is how sore Aaron Rodgers must be today. Cards really got after him last night.

I was reading a 49er's message board and one poster was saying that it must have been a promotion along the lines of "Wear a Cardinals jersey and you get to hit Aaron Rodgers."

That made me laugh.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Heh, i'm trying to steer it away from being a zing and toward a legitimate discussion of what, if anything, changed during the bye week to transform the Cardinals into a "Legit title contender". Or on the other hand, whether the stats and my eyes were right and the Cardinals were "elite" all along despite a couple of lulls, which even "Legit title contenders" can have at some points in a long season.

...dbs

What does a legit title contender look like anyway? In 2008, we went into the playoffs and nobody was saying anything about us having any sort of shot at the title. Colinsworth even said we could be the worst playoff team of all time. But we ended up coming as close as possible to getting that title without getting it. Much more of a legit title contender than anyone else but Pittsburgh that year. It's all a matter of being hot at the right time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

...dbs

for me, it was the ability to win a fight after getting punched in the mouth. Up till that point in the season we had beaten cupcakes to a pulp, but when punched in the mouth, the team didn't show the toughness I thought was needed to be elite. That started to come in the Browns game for me and was cemented up in Seattle. After those two games, I was a believer. Simple as that.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent analysis, Mitch and also enjoy Harry's comments. Really appreciate the work and effort of both.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

...dbs

something did happen during that bye...prior, the team started games flat, sluggish.
they appeared more motivated after the bye...played with a greater sense of urgency...

what happened? I do not know.....but they were a decent team pulling out wins prior, and a very good team after.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... I am just loving this. I'm reading articles/hearing us talked about on ESPN/NFL network and seemingly letting out a little happy scream every single time. i'm frothing at the mouth for the playoffs to start.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
man... I am just loving this. I'm reading articles/hearing us talked about on ESPN/NFL network and seemingly letting out a little happy scream every single time. i'm frothing at the mouth for the playoffs to start.

Haha. Same here. Been around town with my Cards gear and wondering if people here in NY think I'm now bandwagoner or front runner. Those that know me know I have been a Cards fan going back to the days of the 70's in St. Louis.

Friends here would like to see a Cardinals/ Jets Super Bowl.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I like how the Cardinals are brought up as a side thought. They were discussing how Weeden has come into the Texans and won a couple of games. Then someone mentioned it was against the Colts and the Titans and not like he did it against the Cardinals. It's just so surreal to hear us being talked about like that.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
daves, having been at the Rams game, even though they subsequently also lost to the Steelers, I sensed a certain resolve and determination in Palmer. He knew that he made bad decisions/throws to end those games and that just couldn't happen again for the team to continue to win. To me, he made up his mind at that point of failure that he wasn't going to mentally slip. There have been a few bumps along the way, but this has largely been the case.

Frankly, I was stunned, stunned I tell you, the team came out so focused for the Eagle game. They themselves know they're elite and can beat anyone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn