Australia’s national women’s soccer team beat 7-0... by Under-15s boys team

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know much about soccer, but this seems crazy, am I just naïve or what? Could HS boys beat the USA Women's Team?........

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-team-thumped-7-0-By-Under-15s-boys-team.html
AUSTRALIA’S national women’s football team suffered a major blow in their build-up to the Olympic Games in Rio this summer, on the receiving end of a 7-0 thrashing.
While that would normally be enough to see heads drop and morale plummet, but this was no ordinary game.
...It was a friendly with Newcastle Jets’ Under-15s team.

That’s right, during the exhibition game, the A-League side — whose former players include ex-Liverpool and England striker Emile Heskey — put out a genuine kids team.
Not a ‘oh they put the kids team out’ to signify talented 19-year-old youngsters, they fielded their actual Under-15s team.
The Matildas — ranked FIFTH in the world — suffered the embarrassment at Valentine Sports Park in Newcastle during their Olympic preparations.

Australia's women warmed up for the game positively, but were comprehensively beaten during the clash

And assistant coach Gary van Egmond was shocked by the result — adding they were outplayed but were also just shaking off the rust themselves
He said: “To be honest we didn’t expect that.
“The Jets boys were very good, all credit to them, they moved the ball around very well and were excellent all night.

Australia's stars including Katrina Gorry were left stunned by Newcastle Jets' Under-15s Getty Images

“I think there were a couple of contributing factors to the loss.
“At this stage in their preparation, obviously the Matildas are not in a position to play regular games so I’d suggest all and sundry were a little bit rusty.
“We could have had an easier game, but we definitely want to keep testing the girls.

Newcastle Jets' Under-15s stuck seven, unanswered goals past the Matildas

“It all relative. It’s no different from [the sort of result you’d expect] a female tennis player or a female swimmer against a 15 or 16-year-old boy who’s maturing and starting to develop physically.”
Van Egmond added his side often needed to play against boys teams as it’s tough to find quality female opposition.
It’s not the first time they’ve been drubbed by a professional team’s youth side though — having reportedly been hammered by Sydney FC’s Under-16s last year.

Australia's women were left stunned by Newcastle Jets' kids team Getty Images

And in the women’s circuit, the Aussies are no slouches — reaching the quarter-finals of the 2015 World Cup in Japan.
The Matildas will kick off their official pre-Olympics warm-up clashes with New Zealand in June.
A lot of pressure will be on their shoulders from Down Under too, as the men failed to qualify for the summer tournament, after a scoreless draw against Qatar in January this year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know much about soccer, but this seems crazy, am I just naïve or what? Could HS boys beat the USA Women's Team?........

I'm not sure how good Australia's women's team actually is, but there is no way the USA Women's Team would lose to a team of HS boys. In fact, many would say the US Women's Team could easily beat the US MEN'S team.

OP
OP
wa52lz

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure how good Australia's women's team actually is, but there is no way the USA Women's Team would lose to a team of HS boys. In fact, many would say the US Women's Team could easily beat the US MEN'S team.
Ranked 5th the in the world per the article and it looks like they lost to the US 3-1 in the group stage of the World Cup and 1-0 to Japan in the quarterfinals. Japan made the finals vs the US. They could beat the US Men's team, wow. That is pretty dang good considering in the last world cup the Mens team lost to the eventual champs Germany only 1-0. I guess the gap between Men's and Women's soccer is pretty close.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

To be fair, it isn't just a high school team, but an academy team. Still very shocking, but the difference between a high school team and an academy team is huge.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

They scrimmaged the US U-17 boys in 2012 and got beat 8-2. You sure about "no way"?

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Women's football has been dressed up a lot over the years, less so in your neck of the woods I guess, but the standard compared to men's football is a million miles away (as this result shows). It is what it is and I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, but anyone who thinks it isn't has had the wool pulled over their eyes big time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Women's football has been dressed up a lot over the years, less so in your neck of the woods I guess, but the standard compared to men's football is a million miles away (as this result shows). It is what it is and I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, but anyone who thinks it isn't has had the wool pulled over their eyes big time.

You're also in England. Duh.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They scrimmaged the US U-17 boys in 2012 and got beat 8-2. You sure about "no way"?

Yep, I was just going to come in and say that.

They lost to So Cal ODP (U18's) a few years back too. They also lost a closed door match to one of the youth teams last year in prep for the Women's WC, not sure what the score or which youth team it was though--my guess is it was one of the Bradenton residency teams.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Err, what?

Someone in England has no real reason to discuss football quality in the US because let's face it, it's much higher there than here. I have no doubt one of the good (and some if not all of the mediocre ones) English teams could destroy the US Women's team.

English on tour

Reaction score
Someone in England has no real reason to discuss football quality in the US because let's face it, it's much higher there than here. I have no doubt one of the good (and some if not all of the mediocre ones) English teams could destroy the US Women's team.

What utter nonsense. It's nothing to do with the quality of US women's football, English men's football or any other country in particular. My comments were on the quality of woman's football in general and the standard it would be at versus a men's/boys team. It's not even worth debating it guess as I will no doubt sound sexist, but in my option its chalk and cheese.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The US Men would win by at least 3 goals. The U-23 men would probably win by at least 2 goals. I'm fairly certain the gap in athleticism would expose the ladies in a big way.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The US Men would win by at least 3 goals. The U-23 men would probably win by at least 2 goals. I'm fairly certain the gap in athleticism would expose the ladies in a big way.
If the US men won by 3 goals it would be an embarrassment for them. They should win by 8+ easily.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the US men won by 3 goals it would be an embarrassment for them. They should win by 8+ easily.

Except that the USWNT are much more gifted technically than the men right now. They could hold onto 60% possession pretty easily. If the USMNT can get set plays near the box, it could be pretty easy. I'm thinking about 3 or 4 goals.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Except that the USWNT are much more gifted technically than the men right now. They could hold onto 60% possession pretty easily. If the USMNT can get set plays near the box, it could be pretty easy. I'm thinking about 3 or 4 goals.

That is just sooooooooooooo wrong, sorry but you have no clue what you are talking about.

German Women National Team, Bundesliga teams (argueably best in the world) loses without any chance in shortened games to youth teams of 3rd or 4th division teams.
Our Women Bundesliga teams have won 9 out of 15 Champions league titles and made the finals 14 times. So I think it is pretty safe to say that we have by far the best women teams in the world here.

US men team would threaten to score 15+ in a competetive game against the US women team to put it nicely.

Women soccer is in no way comparable to mens. They play at slow motion pace compared to men.

Teltower FC Men (7th division) vs Turbine Potsdam (Women Bundesliga Champion, 2x Championsleague Winners) 10:3 (7:2 in first half)
Fortuna Seppenrade 3rd Senior Team(10th division) vs 1.FC Cologne (Women Bundesliga) 3:0
U16 Eintrach Frankfurt vs German Women National Team 2:0 both goals by a 13yr old boy
u15 Fortuna Dusseldorf vs FCR Duisburg (multiple champion runner up, cup champion) 11:0

Tus Essen West (~8/9th Division) vs MSV Duisburg (Bundesliga) in 3x30min 15:0

Note that these games are not even competetive. The men don't even play physical as they could against the women teams and the boy teams are told to go easy on the women teams.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That is just sooooooooooooo wrong, sorry but you have no clue what you are talking about.

German Women National Team, Bundesliga teams (argueably best in the world) loses without any chance in shortened games to youth teams of 3rd or 4th division teams.
Our Women Bundesliga teams have won 9 out of 15 Champions league titles and made the finals 14 times. So I think it is pretty safe to say that we have by far the best women teams in the world here.

US men team would threaten to score 15+ in a competetive game against the US women team to put it nicely.

Women soccer is in no way comparable to mens. They play at slow motion pace compared to men.

Teltower FC Men (7th division) vs Turbine Potsdam (Women Bundesliga Champion, 2x Championsleague Winners) 10:3 (7:2 in first half)
Fortuna Seppenrade 3rd Senior Team(10th division) vs 1.FC Cologne (Women Bundesliga) 3:0
U16 Eintrach Frankfurt vs German Women National Team 2:0 both goals by a 13yr old boy
u15 Fortuna Dusseldorf vs FCR Duisburg (multiple champion runner up, cup champion) 11:0

Tus Essen West (~8/9th Division) vs MSV Duisburg (Bundesliga) in 3x30min 15:0

Note that these games are not even competetive. The men don't even play physical as they could against the women teams and the boy teams are told to go easy on the women teams.

I don't agree with you very often but you are spot on.

The USMNT against the USWNT would not even be close. They'd put up double digits easily. They are losing to youth teams in closed door matches regularly--they gave up 8 to the US Boys U17 team not too long ago.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this is your stance, I feel pretty good about my opinion. You typically have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.

...and why in the hell did you bring up German women's teams? That wasn't at all part of the discussion, or relevant. You are just showing your myopic and biased view yet again.

I don't agree with you very often but you are spot on.

The USMNT against the USWNT would not even be close. They'd put up double digits easily. They are losing to youth teams in closed door matches regularly--they gave up 8 to the US Boys U17 team not too long ago.

I'm not so sure. This team doesn't have the mentality to put up double digits against anyone. They only put up 6 against St Vincent and the Grendines.

Anyone that is claiming that they know with certainty how the game would go is being obtuse. Strange things happen all the time in football, as we have been seeing already in the Euros and Copa America.

English on tour

Reaction score
If this is your stance, I feel pretty good about my opinion. You typically have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks.

...and why in the hell did you bring up German women's teams? That wasn't at all part of the discussion, or relevant. You are just showing your myopic and biased view yet again.

I'm not so sure. This team doesn't have the mentality to put up double digits against anyone. They only put up 6 against St Vincent and the Grendines.

Anyone that is claiming that they know with certainty how the game would go is being obtuse. Strange things happen all the time in football, as we have been seeing already in the Euros and Copa America.

Mate honestly, they would just be so far apart at full time.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lost 8-2 to the men's U-17. It would be similar or worse against the adult side.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This wasn't even a high school team. It was UNDER 15's. Junior high, baby.
13 and 14 year olds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson