ASU to Chase Field

HooverDam

Reaction score
Its official, ASU will be playing at Chase Field, not UofP for the year during SDS rennovations- hooray!

http://arizonasports.com/44/1629123/ASU-president-says-football-team-will-play-games-at-Chase-Field

Im thrilled about this because I live at Central/McDowell, so I can ride my bike to the games, or take the train a few stops.

From a big picture POV, it makes much more sense than UofP. ASU is trying to grow ASU Downtown, this will help. They've already got 10K students within walking distance to the venue. Tempe students can obviously just ride the LRT.

Working everything out w/ the D'backs might be tricky, but if worst comes to worst ASU can play its 1st two games on the road. Maybe they'll take an unusual road trip to a 'lesser' opponent where they wouldn't normally travel, say NMSU.

Id REALLY love to see ASU play NAU on the Skydome, I think that would be tons of fun, but doubt it happens. But a weekend trip up to Flag in September sounds nice.

People are going to bitch about "where do I tailgate", but there's plenty of places. If you like the tailgating in a hot parking area thing (like lot 59), the roof of the Garage Mahal across from Chase will suffice. Im sure ASU Downtown will be doing tailgating/BBQing along Taylor Mall and at Civic Space Park. Cesar Chavez Plaza has parallel parking all around it, you can tailgate there. You could even tailgate at Hance Park, then pack up your stuff and ride the train 2 stops down before the game starts.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Hey! Screw you for calling NMSU inferior! We beat ASU last time!!! (1999)

:)

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes the most sense - LRT accessible from main campus, lots of ASU students already downtown.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Downtown Phoenix has grown up a lot. It has plenty to offer. Plus, you can still take the party back to Tempe on the train.

The downside is the rail was already overpacked on game day. I would park in Mesa and ride into Tempe. I don't see how that's going to work now. They don't move enough cars to accommodate that traffic.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Downtown Phoenix has grown up a lot. It has plenty to offer. Plus, you can still take the party back to Tempe on the train.

The downside is the rail was already overpacked on game day. I would park in Mesa and ride into Tempe. I don't see how that's going to work now. They don't move enough cars to accommodate that traffic.

Can they add cars?

Any way to turn train around downtown?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derrick Hall said he was caught off guard by Crow's comments, they've never discussed it with the D-Backs, and he doesn't see how it can work during baseball season.

Crow has some serious foot-in-mouth disease.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can they add cars?

Any way to turn train around downtown?

I think they can, but I think it costs $$$ every time they make changes to the schedule. ASU would probably have to prime the pump, money they probably won't have due to having to rent out another field.

I would expect ASU to lose money in any season they don't play at SDS.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
They can add cars. The trains are usually 2 car segments, they can be as long as 3. But no longer than 3 as then it would be too long for the station platform and when the door opens you'd face a 4 foot drop onto the rails! Plus any longer train wouldn't be able to make the turns.

They can kind of 'hide' waiting trains at certain turnaround points. There's one just north of the Westward Ho between Central and 1st Ave. There's another around 10th St between Washington and Jefferson. They use these a lot for big D'backs games, they have another train waiting so once the first really busy load is full, another one slides right in.

And if a train is too full when you live the game, stay and enjoy Downtown for an hour or so. You may find its improved a lot since you last gave it a chance. Its not "there" yet, but boy oh boy has it come along way in 10 years.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah ... woops

at a presser to announce baseball will be moving to phx muni in 2015 he rambles on about a deal not in place for football .... result is obvious

it is the best location, it does make sense and baseball & football teams have shared facility in many different locations .... there are definitely complaints - baseball complaining about damage to the outfield, football complaining about infield dirt etc

they should be able to work it out for a year or two - especially with some smart scheduling

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
What is it with football teams in this town?

Cardinals: "We're moving from Flag to Glendale and they'll build us a new garage!"

Glendale: "Not so fast..."

Devils: "We'll play at Chase Field"

D'Backs: "Oh really?"

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
What is it with football teams in this town?

Cardinals: "We're moving from Flag to Glendale and they'll build us a new garage!"

Glendale: "Not so fast..."

Devils: "We'll play at Chase Field"

D'Backs: "Oh really?"

Haha good point.

I wonder if this was planned by Crow. Maybe he's trying to spill the beans, build support for the ASU to Chase idea and put pressure on the D'backs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha good point.

I wonder if this was planned by Crow. Maybe he's trying to spill the beans, build support for the ASU to Chase idea and put pressure on the D'backs.

This is what popped into my head immediately.