ASU ranked in the top 25

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ASU had two Pac-10 caliber offensive tackles, I'd pick them to go undefeated right now. Oof.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
If ASU had two Pac-10 caliber offensive tackles, I'd pick them to go undefeated right now. Oof.

Agreed...so many times a player for WSU went unblocked today. Ugh. I still think we can pull off an upset or two though because Oregon and Cal don't have very impressive defenses. I'm liking 6-0 so I won't do much complaining until we actually lose.

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
If we beat Washington tonight do you think College Gameday will come to ASU?

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is a reasonable possibility. ASU will be really close to 10 in the country and Cal will be 2. The only other game that will be even somewhat close in caliber will be USC v. UO. However, Gameday was already here in Eugene 2 weeks ago for the UO v. Cal game so I doubt they come back twice in a 4 week period. Having said that, if I remember correctly last time gameday was in Tempe ASU had a bad showing and Gameday did not like the experience. But who knows, it is without a doubt the 1a or 1b game that week. Of course this is all predicated on ASU winning tonight and Cal winning tonight and next week as well.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^I think the last time they were here was that ASU-SC game where ASU was ahead but then fell apart in the 2nd half, right? ASU had an OK showing I'd say, where did you hear that the gameday folks had a 'bad experience'?

I hope they come to Tempe, the later it gets in the season the more appealing coming to AZ is over going to some Big 10/Big 12 midwest frozen tundra.

EDIT: I think the tone of my post came across wrong. To clarify, I'm not doubting what you're saying...I just hadn't heard it.

Last edited:

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
^I think the last time they were here was that ASU-SC game where ASU was ahead but then fell apart in the 2nd half, right? ASU had an OK showing I'd say, where did you hear that the gameday folks had a 'bad experience'?

I hope they come to Tempe, the later it gets in the season the more appealing coming to AZ is over going to some Big 10/Big 12 midwest frozen tundra.

EDIT: I think the tone of my post came across wrong. To clarify, I'm not doubting what you're saying...I just hadn't heard it.

Honestly I don't remember. I just remember hearing that we had a good showing. I went that day and I don't remember it being THAT bad but it was certainly not packed.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that is technically correct, but wow, what a stinker. ASU is really going to struggle next week against Washington.

But, a win is a win.

On a positive note, good to see Stanford beat USC after we struggled with Standford for the first half last week... makes me feel a bit better about last week.
I'm sorry...could you repeat that? :D

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
#12 in both polls with 1 first place vote in the AP

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
#12 in both polls with 1 first place vote in the AP
Heh, that's pretty funny. Only team to get a first place vote after the top 5. I wonder who puts us at #1. :p #12 is where I expected them to be, but they should sneak into the top 10 after the bye. Some highly ranked teams will definitely lose again.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I wonder who puts us at #1.
Well, the AP is the coaches poll, so I'd guess it's from one of the schools that ASU has whooped up this year. My guess is Ty Willingham, giving due props after last night.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the AP is the coaches poll, so I'd guess it's from one of the schools that ASU has whooped up this year. My guess is Ty Willingham, giving due props after last night.

It is the reverse.

AP is the sportswriter's poll. ESPN/USA Today is the coaches/Sports Information Directors (who are the ones that vote most of the time, not the coaches).

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ASU ranked 8 in the BCS poll. Top team in the Pac-10

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
ASU ranked 8 in the BCS poll. Top team in the Pac-10

I just saw it during the Cards half-time show, and can't believe it. Loved last nights game as well. It's so nice to see a team that makes half-time adjustments, rather than a team that takes an early lead, and gets smoked in the second half.

1. Ohio St.(7-0)
2. South Florida(6-0)
3. Boston College(7-0)
4. LSU(6-1)
5. Oklahoma(6-1)
6. South Carolina(6-1)
7. Kentucky(6-1)
8. Arizona St.(7-0)
9. West Virginia(5-1)
10. Oregon(5-1)

:thud:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw it during the Cards half-time show, and can't believe it. Loved last nights game as well. It's so nice to see a team that makes half-time adjustments, rather than a team that takes an early lead, and gets smoked in the second half.

1. Ohio St.(7-0)
2. South Florida(6-0)
3. Boston College(7-0)
4. LSU(6-1)
5. Oklahoma(6-1)
6. South Carolina(6-1)
7. Kentucky(6-1)
8. Arizona St.(7-0)
9. West Virginia(5-1)
10. Oregon(5-1)

:thud:

When I look at that list, of the 7 teams ahead of ASU, we are clearly better than BC, and would be competitive with Ohio State and Oklahoma at neutral sites (bowl games.) The other 4 teams are better than ASU right now, I believe.

OP
OP
FArting

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
ASU 16th in final AP poll

Four Pac-10 teams finish the season ranked

Jeff Metcalfe
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 8, 2008 09:55 AM
Arizona State finished its first football season under Dennis Erickson ranked No. 16 in the final Associated Press poll and No. 13 in the USA Today coaches poll.

The Sun Devils (10-3) dropped from No. 12 and 11 in those polls because of a 52-34 Holiday Bowl loss to Texas. ASU is ranked in the final AP poll for the first time since 2004 when it ended No. 19 off a 9-3 record and Sun Bowl victory over Purdue.

ASU lost to Southern California, which finished No. 3 in the AP poll and No. 2 in the coaches poll; to Texas, No. 10 AP and coaches; and Oregon, No. 23 AP/No. 24 coaches. The Sun Devils beat Oregon State, No. 25 AP.

Georgia, which plays at ASU on Sept. 20, finished No. 2 in the AP poll and No. 3 in the coaches poll.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0108appoll.html