ASU Football Recruiting 2023-24

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this particularly interesting. It's a very optimistic take by Kenny Dillingham.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He had better be optimistic. You have to be honest. The Big 12 is going to be a B-list football conference.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had better be optimistic. You have to be honest. The Big 12 is going to be a B-list football conference.

Some of ASU's most memorable seasons were in the Western Athletic Conference.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of ASU's most memorable seasons were in the Western Athletic Conference.
They were. They dominated that B List conference and hopefully do very well in this one. It's not like good things cannot happen for a Big 12 team. It's just not the Big 10 or SEC. It is a notch down with the ACC.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were. They dominated that B List conference and hopefully do very well in this one. It's not like good things cannot happen for a Big 12 team. It's just not the Big 10 or SEC. It is a notch down with the ACC.

The Sun Devils beat some highly ranked teams outside the conference during those days, even finished undefeated and ranked #2 in the country one season.

As it turns out, ASU didn't have much choice about going to the BIG 12. I'd preferred the BIG 10 as well.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sun Devils beat some highly ranked teams outside the conference during those days, even finished undefeated and ranked #2 in the country one season.

As it turns out, ASU didn't have much choice about going to the BIG 12. I'd preferred the BIG 10 as well.
I would have hated the Big 10. ASU playing in Happy Valley in December? No thanks. And the style of football in the Big 10, to me, sucks ass.

They have primarily 2 great teams - Mich and Ohio State, 1 solid teams - Penn State, and a bunch of other teams that are boring, can sometimes be good but other times average - Wisc, Iowa, Mich State, and then a bunch of nobodies.

The 4 PAC teams joining them will find a bit of success because there just isn't solid strength from top to bottom, but those four teams are based on speed and finesse and the D Coords will somehow adjust to neutralize them a bit in the new Big 10.

The Big 12 on the other hand, has basically strong areas for recruiting - TX, FL, etc - and the football style is wide open and exciting.

ASU can hopefully rise to the top half of the Big 12 and I think it was a great move for us while keeping the rivalry with UA and also now having BYU and some TX teams.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They are better off in the Big 12 at this point from a competition standpoint. If they landed in the Big 10, they may never get up off the mat. Frankly, I think UCLA will become an afterthought football wise after their money grab

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have hated the Big 10. ASU playing in Happy Valley in December? No thanks. And the style of football in the Big 10, to me, sucks ass.

They have primarily 2 great teams - Mich and Ohio State, 1 solid teams - Penn State, and a bunch of other teams that are boring, can sometimes be good but other times average - Wisc, Iowa, Mich State, and then a bunch of nobodies.

The 4 PAC teams joining them will find a bit of success because there just isn't solid strength from top to bottom, but those four teams are based on speed and finesse and the D Coords will somehow adjust to neutralize them a bit in the new Big 10.

The Big 12 on the other hand, has basically strong areas for recruiting - TX, FL, etc - and the football style is wide open and exciting.

ASU can hopefully rise to the top half of the Big 12 and I think it was a great move for us while keeping the rivalry with UA and also now having BYU and some TX teams.
I agree with most of this. Where I maybe disagree the most is your characterization of the Big 10 teams. Watch for Nebraska to make a move. Northwestern is a pain. Rutgers is bowling so I wouldn’t consider them a nobody.

I don’t know. There is currently a disparity in that conference but I’m not sure that won’t close with the addition of the PAC schools and v maybe FSU +1?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are better off in the Big 12 at this point from a competition standpoint. If they landed in the Big 10, they may never get up off the mat. Frankly, I think UCLA will become an afterthought football wise after their money grab

I think ASU could have competed in the BIG Ten, but frankly, I didn't like either option. However, the university had to make the move to the BIG 12.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think ASU could have competed in the BIG Ten, but frankly, I didn't like either option. However, the university had to make the move to the BIG 12.
Barring a crazy season, I don’t see a path to an expanded playoff for ASU had they landed in the Big 10. now, maybe my tune will change as Dillingham continues to build out this program but I just don’t see a path even if he hits the heights we hope possible.

The Big 12 definitely is better if the goal is to make the playoff. But even then space will be limited at the Big 10 and SEC will likely take up anywhere from 6-8 spots in the playoff. Plus conference winners in ACC (if they stay together) and Big 12. Also a Group of 5 team gets in. That doesn’t leave much room to play

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be the outlier here.

I would have rather seen ASU stay with Oregon St and Washington St with control of the PAC 12 name and reconstitute it with the MWC. Which is what I think will happen. Eff going to Cincinnati and Florida for conference games.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will be the outlier here.

I would have rather seen ASU stay with Oregon St and Washington St with control of the PAC 12 name and reconstitute it with the MWC. Which is what I think will happen. Eff going to Cincinnati and Florida for conference games.
Not so sure you’re the outlier per se. I was on board with starting and keeping the PAC together, and the automatic playoff bid, in play. The problem is, I feel like had they done that, ASU would essentially find themselves in a Group of 5 conference even under the PAC moniker. That would mean no consistent chance at the playoff.

Thus moving to the Big 12 makes some sense.

I think the more interesting this in, when we ultimately see football divided up, does it make sense for ASU to be in the higher division with little to no chance of even making the playoffs or do they drop to lower division and try to become a powerful program in the lower division (Group of 5)?

I’m certain everyone here will say upper division due to money and that may be true but are you willing to accept the idea every year will end identically?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One can hope.

Centennial four-star edge rusher Noah Carter, Peoria, Arizona, has reopened his recruitment.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was ASU ever on his radar do we know?

Looks Like he was offered by ASU and UofA but didn't show any interest.

But I expect that KD and Coach Ward are on his doorstep this morning with coffee and donuts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is more about Jedd Fisch reportedly accepting the head coaching job at University of Washington.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is ASU coach Kenny Dillingham's message to local recruits.