ASU football home & home w/ MSU

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2014/05/13/asu-football-announces-home-and-home-series-with-michigan-state-for-2018-2019/9049209/

Great addition to the schedule. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner w/ the Frank Kush ties. I've often seen Frank around town with a ASU shirt on and a MSU hat (or vice versa).

ASU is doing a terrific job with future scheduling. UNM & ND this year, TAMU & UNM next year, TTU, SDSU, LSU, BYU and now MSU all on the schedules through the next decade.

Meanwhile our friends down South have BYU as probably their biggest opponent on future schedules (they're a middling opponent for ASU) and then Hawai'i.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good to see them building up the non-conference schedule! This will increase national exposure, perhaps help recruiting, and hopefully help us get ready for the PAC12 games.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Congrats on your future schedule bragging rights! After all it has certainly helped elevate your program over the years. Oh wait...it hasn't and perhaps cost you a spot in the BCS last year.

Best way to get to the Rose Bowl is via winning the South. The rest of the schedule doesn't matter unless you're talking about getting into the BCS playoff which I see Arizona (or ASU) basically never getting to as a program unless they expand the field to 8 or 16. Of course if they do expand at that point the conference champion would likely get an automatic bid which again makes winning the South both program's best shot.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
^ Enjoy your sisters of the poor scheduling. ASU and UofA are clearly taking different tactics, we'll see what's best over the next decade. ASU is trying to be an elite program (whether or not they get there is TBD). UofA is trying to be a solid, but middling program that goes to a bowl every year after padding their resume with 3 easy wins.

I'm not entirely sure how beating up on 3 patsies helps UofA get ready for the P-12 and win the South, but I suppose anything is possible. Though they haven't sniffed a Rose Bowl yet, so I'm not too concerned.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Like playing Idaho, Bethune Cookman, and Reno were a detriment to Florida State winning the Nat'l Championship last year? Or how Auburn playing Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina got them 3 points away from the title?

Scheduling doesn't matter, it only helps fans of some programs have hollow bragging rights. That's why the two aforementioned programs are twice the programs ASU and UofA are combined even with their laughable scheduling. One would think that in light of the SEC and their overall dominance of the college football landscape over the last decade while continually scheduling down that people would figure out how the whole thing works.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we seem to be trolling, what does a UofA fan know about getting to the Rose Bowl?

That is like the Herb Sendek fan club discussing Final Four strategy.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like playing Idaho, Bethune Cookman, and Reno were a detriment to Florida State winning the Nat'l Championship last year? Or how Auburn playing Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina got them 3 points away from the title?

Scheduling doesn't matter, it only helps fans of some programs have hollow bragging rights. That's why the two aforementioned programs are twice the programs ASU and UofA are combined even with their laughable scheduling. One would think that in light of the SEC and their overall dominance of the college football landscape over the last decade while continually scheduling down that people would figure out how the whole thing works.

With the new playoff format, Scheduling WILL matter. Strength of schedule will come into play in determining bids.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
With the new playoff format, Scheduling WILL matter. Strength of schedule will come into play in determining bids.

Only if you're one of the top four teams at the end of the regular season. ASU and UofA have had that distinction maybe twice each in the history of their programs? Its a non-factor 99% of the time.

Not to mention with a nine game conference schedule plus a CCG PAC and Big10 schools are playing more than enough of a schedule to be in the conversation if they win the conference and only have one loss. If Arizona goes 12-1 they'll make the Final Four even with their schedules (which aren't as bad as Hoover is making them out to be either). It's really a moot point scheduling up except for extra gate and TV revenue.

I'd like UofA to have marquee matchups as much as anybody. I've been in that stadium when they have hosted top OOC teams (Iowa in 2009, Oklahoma State in 2012 are two recent examples) and the place and town is electric. But the game is rigged when you play nine in-conference games and other conferences don't so I can't blame Rodriguez and co. for staying out.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
^ Enjoy your sisters of the poor scheduling. ASU and UofA are clearly taking different tactics, we'll see what's best over the next decade. ASU is trying to be an elite program (whether or not they get there is TBD). UofA is trying to be a solid, but middling program that goes to a bowl every year after padding their resume with 3 easy wins.

I'm not entirely sure how beating up on 3 patsies helps UofA get ready for the P-12 and win the South, but I suppose anything is possible. Though they haven't sniffed a Rose Bowl yet, so I'm not too concerned.

SEC has been scheduling OOC cupcakes for years; yet, is unarguably the most prolific conference in the BCS. I've wavered about this situation and have come to this conclusion: with the absence of a true preseason, it gives teams the opportunity to prepare for conference play by evaluating talent and building chemistry. Ideally, I'd like to have 2 mid-majors and 1 FCS to start the season. If ASU is trying to be "elite," it might consider a less arduous OOC to try its shot at getting into the BCS NC, as all it takes is 1 loss to take you out of it entirely, since ASU will likely take more than 2 losses in conference play anyway. Plus, getting beat by ND, MSU, etc. does ASU no good for national exposure.

The PAC 1-8 is loaded; why add more challenges to getting to the BCS when ~ 5/8 of the schedule is tough as it is?

Also, the goal for both AZ schools is the same. If you think ASU is trying to be elite and UofA just solid, you are mistaken. Why would RichRod, a household name in college football, and Greg Byrne, a football minded AD, settle for mediocrity? The goal for both teams is the same. It's actually kind of scary.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Since we seem to be trolling, what does a UofA fan know about getting to the Rose Bowl?

Conversely, what does ASU know about getting there? Same as UofA--not much.

Seriously, it's been like 20 years. It's like listening to Dallas Cowboy fans talk about their championships. The further you get away from those years, the smaller they look. The difference is ASU has nowhere near the national notoriety as the Cowboys, so no one outside of Tempe really cares.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conversely, what does ASU know about getting there? Same as UofA--not much.

Seriously, it's been like 20 years. It's like listening to Dallas Cowboy fans talk about their championships. The further you get away from those years, the smaller they look. The difference is ASU has nowhere near the national notoriety as the Cowboys, so no one outside of Tempe really cares.
You do. Thanks for responding to my jerkiness. :)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congrats on your future schedule bragging rights! After all it has certainly helped elevate your program over the years. Oh wait...it hasn't and perhaps cost you a spot in the BCS last year.

Best way to get to the Rose Bowl is via winning the South. The rest of the schedule doesn't matter unless you're talking about getting into the BCS playoff which I see Arizona (or ASU) basically never getting to as a program unless they expand the field to 8 or 16. Of course if they do expand at that point the conference champion would likely get an automatic bid which again makes winning the South both program's best shot.

Well if you all want to play a ***** schedule and feel like you are accomplishing something, that's fine. Frankly, I think it is more admirable to play a more challenging schedule.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it generates a whole new level of excitement for fans to have the Sun Devils match up with top level opponents. It may not always results in wins but it says something about how ASU views their football program. Also I think it impacts recruiting in a favorable way. To be the best, one needs to play the best.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Well if you all want to play a ***** schedule and feel like you are accomplishing something, that's fine. Frankly, I think it is more admirable to play a more challenging schedule.

Arizona's schedule was ranked 31st in the country per Sagarin in 2013. Tougher than Florida State, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, Baylor, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and 96 other programs. Oh yeah and Arizona was 20 spots ahead of ASU in SOS in 2012, 2011, and 2009 while they were both top 10 in 2010 so you should probably get off your high horse. Not to mention ASU has an FCS school lined up for Week 1 this year followed up by a trainwreck New Mexico program in Week 2.

Parroting message board fanboys isn't a good look.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I'm pretty surprised that UA fans are not impressed with the scheduling. Announcing LSU, Michigan State, and Texas A & M is quite a feat in the last year for any team nationwide.

I do think it has a ton to do with the teams' objectives. To be the best you have to beat the best. To qualify for a bowl game you have to beat 6 teams. Two different strategies, for two different teams with two different goals. As an ASU fan I am really glad that ASU chooses to play tough opponents instead of easy wins for their out of conference games. I would be really disappointed in the AD and coach if they decided to play easy OOC games to pad our record.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arizona's schedule was ranked 31st in the country per Sagarin in 2013. Tougher than Florida State, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, Baylor, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and 96 other programs. Oh yeah and Arizona was 20 spots ahead of ASU in SOS in 2012, 2011, and 2009 while they were both top 10 in 2010 so you should probably get off your high horse. Not to mention ASU has an FCS school lined up for Week 1 this year followed up by a trainwreck New Mexico program in Week 2.

Parroting message board fanboys isn't a good look.

The discussion is about the scheduling of the games in the future So perhaps it would be more germane if you would compare the Wildcats schedule, going forward.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya, I guess there is nothing to talk about on the U of A football thread these days. :shrug:

TJ

Reaction score
I'm pretty surprised that UA fans are not impressed with the scheduling. Announcing LSU, Michigan State, and Texas A & M is quite a feat in the last year for any team nationwide.

I do think it has a ton to do with the teams' objectives. To be the best you have to beat the best. To qualify for a bowl game you have to beat 6 teams. Two different strategies, for two different teams with two different goals. As an ASU fan I am really glad that ASU chooses to play tough opponents instead of easy wins for their out of conference games. I would be really disappointed in the AD and coach if they decided to play easy OOC games to pad our record.

It's not an issue of being impressed versus unimpressed, it's about is that the best strategy for getting into the BCS playoffs. The PAC12 has about 3-4 power teams, and another 4-5 will be very competitive, IMO. The PAC12 has the potential to cannibalize itself already. What's the point in adding more competition if it already exists in your schedule? If you lose said OOC games, your season is done even before it has started. And there is something to say about using OOC as a glorified preseason, especially when there are always question marks at different positions. ASU will have nine new starters on defense this year. Next year, it will have a new QB. Those are important factors to consider when analyzing the beginning of the season.

The SEC has the blueprint for national success--schedule cupcakes like Savannah State to start the season, then take that momentum into conference play.

The "load 'em up" OOC philosophy should remain with the mid-majors who don't have the luxury of playing in a power conference.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
To be the best you have to beat the best
This is factually inaccurate. Florida State played an absolute joke of a schedule last year. Year prior Alabama had Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina on their schedule. Year before Saban scheduled Kent State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern.

There's more than enough talent within the conference especially when you're playing nine games to play a quality BCS-level schedule. Stanford and Oregon are currently elite programs. ASU, UCLA, and USC are very good programs. Arizona, Oregon State, and Washington are no joke either and fully capable of beating anyone in the country on any given night especially at home. Other than gate revenue and some TV dollars why continue to stack the odds against you when the teams that are actually winning the hardware are going about it the easy way? I mean does it really make you feel better as a fan losing your chance at the playoff in week 2 in Baton Rouge or Lansing or College Station vs notching three road wins versus some Mountain West teams?

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hear tell one can hear the sound of crickets over there.

Yep, it is really telling about the state of the U of A football program that there is no discussion of any positive developments over there, and that instead their fans come over here and diss on our positive developments.

Sure, playing a weak non-conference schedule may be a calculated and cunning way for U of A to try to sneak into the big time, but its also kind of chicken****. I am impressed that the Sun Devils have chosen instead to play a tougher non-conference schedule.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yep, it is really telling about the state of the U of A football program that there is no discussion of any positive developments over there, and that instead their fans come over here and diss on our positive developments.

Sure, playing a weak non-conference schedule may be a calculated and cunning way for U of A to try to sneak into the big time, but its also kind of chicken****. I am impressed that the Sun Devils have chosen instead to play a tougher non-conference schedule.

1. The original poster specifically called out UofA's scheduling in his diatribve so not surprising UofA fans responded.

2. UofA's schedules statistically have been above average in strength for the the last decade including last year and project that way going forward which is a inconvenient fact on this thread that nobody has addressed.

3. Nobody has again addressed the completely false "to beat the best you have to play the best" narrative that hasn't applied to any of college football's recent championship teams.

I suppose it's fun making stuff up and then changing the subject when somebody calls you on it but perhaps the reason our board is slow on football-related matters is that there's nothing that really matters to talk about. Football recruiting is a boring subject, half of the committed players in a given class one never hears from again. And scheduling as has been pointed out means nothing in attaining a program's lofty goals. So what is there to talk about until we get into fall camp?

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
1. The original poster specifically called out UofA's scheduling in his diatribve so not surprising UofA fans responded.

2. UofA's schedules statistically have been above average in strength for the the last decade including last year and project that way going forward which is a inconvenient fact on this thread that nobody has addressed.

3. Nobody has again addressed the completely false "to beat the best you have to play the best" narrative that hasn't applied to any of college football's recent championship teams.

I suppose it's fun making stuff up and then changing the subject when somebody calls you on it but perhaps the reason our board is slow on football-related matters is that there's nothing that really matters to talk about. Football recruiting is a boring subject, half of the committed players in a given class one never hears from again. And scheduling as has been pointed out means nothing in attaining a program's lofty goals. So what is there to talk about until we get into fall camp?

You really, truly, honestly do not feel that playing national powerhouse teams like LSU, Texas A & M, and Michigan State does not gain you respect from players, recruits, coaches, and reporters/analysts?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I believe that outsiders (fans of teams other than ASU and UA) see a team willing to schedule quality opponents in higher regard than another who schedules only cupcakes. I also believe that a nationally televised game against say Notre Dame will gain more exposure than a locally televised game against Nevada. I don't have any proof, just going off of gut instincts here.

Do you have any logic to why UA basketball plays in preseason tournaments against quality teams like Kansas, Kentucky, etc.? Especially if it is so important for the football team to schedule the easiest possible out of conference opponents.