Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a solid hire for the Bender connection alone. Hiring an assistant coach to hopefully turn Bender into a quality player that was worth the #4 pick, even in a weak draft, is fine. It's much better than acquiring a player to make him happy. I think McD learned his lesson in that regard after bringing in Marcus Morris for Markieff, Zoran for Goran, the plethora of Kentucky guards, and others.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't know enough about any of these guys to like or dislike any of the hirings. I usually care more about quality than quantity but in this case, I'll be happy when we've loaded up on coaches (teachers). As young as we are and likely will be for awhile, we should lead the league in number of coaches.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I endorse this message. :wink2:

It sounds like this is a well thought out hire. I like that Staudt was an advanced scout for two quality teams.

I don't know much about Devin Smith.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jamelle McMillan is hired to be an assistant coach for the Suns.

Former Arizona State Sun Devil Jamelle McMillan wasn't planning to change jobs this upcoming NBA season. Then he got a phone call from his boss, New Orleans coach Alvin Gentry.

“Alvin called me last week one afternoon and said, ‘Hey, I might have an opportunity that I don’t know if you can pass up,’ ” McMillan told azcentral sports Monday. “Hopefully if things pan out it’s something you can move forward with.”

Things panned out and McMillan, who played for the Sun Devils from 2007 to 2011 under coach Herb Sendek, accepted an offer to become an assistant under first-year head coach Igor Kokoskov. He’ll move from being primarily a player development coach in New Orleans to the front of the bench with the Suns.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ns-coaching-staff-jamelle-mcmillan/707187002/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns coaching staff is official.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worth noting during the press conference Igor was asked about a comment McD made at the draft about him speaking with Sean Miller about the best ways to coach Ayton. Igor said to the press conference that Miller was welcome to attend training camp and help with Deandre and as a coach himself he thinks it's beneficial to share information like that with past coaches. What surprised me though was him saying that Miller was going to be part of the training camp. Not sure if that's 100% confirmed or not but it was also said Ayton respects Miller and thought he was a huge part of his development so there could be something there in the future, especially if the NCAA comes down on Miller for the FBI investigation. I wonder if the Suns would hire him as a special assistant or something.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is our coaching staff for next season, officially announced. Joe Prunty, Corliss Williamson, Jamelle McMillan, Jason Staudt as assistants, Cody Toppert director of player development, Devin Smith player development coach

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Worth noting during the press conference Igor was asked about a comment McD made at the draft about him speaking with Sean Miller about the best ways to coach Ayton. Igor said to the press conference that Miller was welcome to attend training camp and help with Deandre and as a coach himself he thinks it's beneficial to share information like that with past coaches. What surprised me though was him saying that Miller was going to be part of the training camp. Not sure if that's 100% confirmed or not but it was also said Ayton respects Miller and thought he was a huge part of his development so there could be something there in the future, especially if the NCAA comes down on Miller for the FBI investigation. I wonder if the Suns would hire him as a special assistant or something.

That is curious. I don't think Miller's college coaching career (at least at U of A) is very certain going forward, so that would set up an interesting possible scenario.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It does seem to be curious. Miller seemed to get a lot of blame from UA fans for their team underachieving especially how they played Ristic, making Ayton play out of position.