Assistant coaches

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gambo is reporting Mike Woodson will be hired as the Phoenix Suns lead assistant.

I really like this hire! Tons of experience. Former head coach. Interviewed for the Knicks head coaching position this summer. A defensive guy...browsing his resume it looks like he was on the bench with Igor for that Pistons championship.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really like this hire! Tons of experience. Former head coach. Interviewed for the Knicks head coaching position this summer. A defensive guy...browsing his resume it looks like he was on the bench with Igor for that Pistons championship.
A recognized name, defensive reputation, and championship experience. I’m onboard.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hope we get a big man's assistant coach.

Could Tyson Chandler be player/assistant coach in this, probably his final season as a player (hopefully backup to Ayton)?

Or would that be a conflict of interest with him both management and in the Players' Union?

I never stopped to think how that worked in the past with player/coaches.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we get a big man's assistant coach.

Could Tyson Chandler be player/assistant coach in this, probably his final season as a player (hopefully backup to Ayton)?

Or would that be a conflict of interest with him both management and in the Players' Union?

I never stopped to think how that worked in the past with player/coaches.

I know you're a big Tyson Chandler fan. Personally, I think the guy is the Big Fraud and always has been. He could rebound and protect the rim but he's always been an overrated defender (good, not great) and almost non-existent on offense. And since he lost another step his last year or two in New York, he's become even less effective.

He talks a great game but how'd he do mentoring our other bigs? How often do you hear his teammates talk about how much they've learned from him? I think he's a tall Earl Watson, a giant cheerleader cashing giant welfare checks at our expense. Limited as a player but valuable (in his prime) in the right situation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know you're a big Tyson Chandler fan. Personally, I think the guy is the Big Fraud and always has been. He could rebound and protect the rim but he's always been an overrated defender (good, not great) and almost non-existent on offense. And since he lost another step his last year or two in New York, he's become even less effective.

He talks a great game but how'd he do mentoring our other bigs? How often do you hear his teammates talk about how much they've learned from him? I think he's a tall Earl Watson, a giant cheerleader cashing giant welfare checks at our expense. Limited as a player but valuable (in his prime) in the right situation.
In that case, I hope we add a big man Assistant Coach.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So. You're not a fan?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So. You're not a fan?

Not particularly. To put it nicely, I think he has less of a clue than he thinks he has. But I also think he's a great teammate and a nice guy. Sadly for us, he was a role player in his prime and he left his prime back east.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. And most of this board is probably with you on Chandler too.:)
Tyson Chandler was the difference maker in the Mavs winning their Championship. Of course, he's past his prime now.

Have I still liked him as a Center? Compared to Len, Chriss and Bender as last season's Suns Centers, yes.

And next month, it's time to add our difference maker at Center. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed by Woodson as a Head Coach but I have no idea how he is as an assistant. I like that he brings a defensive background though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyson Chandler was the difference maker in the Mavs winning their Championship. Of course, he's past his prime now.

Have I still liked him as a Center? Compared to Len, Chriss and Bender as last season's Suns Centers, yes.

And next month, it's time to add our difference maker at Center. :)

He was but in the same way that the 1,000th jelly bean overflows the jar.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know we all hate Len but from the eye test (mine) and all the stats I've looked at, Len easily surpassed Tyson last season.

From Basketball Reference: Len led the team in PER (500 minutes minimum) with a 19.4, Tyson was under 15. Len led Tyson in rebounding percentage, Len assisted at a higher rate, Len also led in steals and blocks percentage, he had a lower turnover rate and a much higher WS/48.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we all hate Len but from the eye test (mine) and all the stats I've looked at, Len easily surpassed Tyson last season.

From Basketball Reference: Len led the team in PER (500 minutes minimum) with a 19.4, Tyson was under 15. Len led Tyson in rebounding percentage, Len assisted at a higher rate, Len also led in steals and blocks percentage, he had a lower turnover rate and a much higher WS/48.

Len being better than a fossilized Tyson Chandler doesn't do much for me. I like the idea of Tyson around to mentor Ayton and I don't think Len will be happy returning unless it's for a big role... and I really don't want to give him one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We agree. I think Len would be a more productive starting center than Chandler. I expect more from him after he leaves the Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Len being better than a fossilized Tyson Chandler doesn't do much for me. I like the idea of Tyson around to mentor Ayton and I don't think Len will be happy returning unless it's for a big role... and I really don't want to give him one.

Me either. But I don't really like the idea of Ayton being mentored by Tyson. Listening to Tyson talk really does remind me of Earl Watson. I don't believe either guy actually knows why things work out the way they do. Tyson got by on physical ability for the most part.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Corliss Williamson. There’s a name I haven’t heard in a looooong time. Has been an assistant all these years?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corliss Williamson. There’s a name I haven’t heard in a looooong time. Has been an assistant all these years?

The only time I've heard of him in the last decade was when he was on George Karl's staff during Karl's short-lived stay in Hell (AKA Sacramento). I always liked him as a player for whatever that's worth.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose